A recent Bloomberg Businessweek article, “MBA Interns Seeking Job Offers Breathe a Sigh of Relief,” talks about the increased success b-school students have had in receiving job offers from their summer internships. BW collected data from 30 top MBA programs in the U.S. Six of these said that they saw no changes in the internship-to-job conversion rate; eight programs said they expected a slight improvement; the remaining programs had no data to offer.
It’s still early, though. Some internships may be planning on extending offers, but just haven’t yet. So these numbers may continue to improve.
Here’s Businessweek’s breakdown of the winners and losers in internship conversion:
The Internship Conversion Winners...
- Cornell University Johnson Graduate School of Management - 74%
- Dartmouth College Tuck School of Business - 71.5%
- Arizona State University Carey School of Business - 68.9%
- University of Chicago Booth School of Business - 68.8%
- Brigham Young University Marriott School of Management - 68.6%
- Thunderbird School of Global Management - 17.3%
- Syracuse University Whitman School of Management - 21.4%
- North Carolina State University Jenkins Graduate School of Management - 21.9%
- DePaul University Kellstadt Graduate School of Business - 22.2%
- Fordham University Graduate School of Business - 24%
Some more numbers for you:
- 35% of Minnesota Carlson students have reported job offers from summer internships so far.
- At Emory Goizueta, that number is at 50%.
- Notre Dame Mendoza has reported a 60% internship-to-job offer rate, a 5% increase over last year.
- 40% of students at CMU Tepper have reported internship-to-job offers so far this year.
The article explains: “With big banks slashing head count at a furious pace earlier this year, those numbers could have been a lot worse.” Patrick Perrella, Mendoza’s Director of Career Development adds: “Contrary to popular opinion, there is a lot of strength in MBA hiring.”
Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best
Accepted.com's experienced admissions consultants can help you create the most impressive application possible with comprehensive packages, or provide targeted assistance from picking perfect programs to designing a dazzling resume, constructing engaging essays, or preparing for intense interviews…and more! Accepted.com has guided thousands of applicants to acceptances at top MBA programs since 1994 – we know what works and what doesn't, so contact us to get started now!
This article originally appeared on the Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog, the official blog of Accepted.com.