Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Post graduate diploma then onto MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Post graduate diploma then onto MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 11:05
Hi all,

Thought I'd throw this question out to all of you.

I was working at BNY Mellon in the UK until March this year, but had to leave because I wasn't able to extend my work visa (I am from Brazil). In total I was there for 19 months and obviously I was disappointed to leave but have been trying to stay positive.

I have a bachelors degree in Marketing from the UK and got accepted to do a post graduate diploma in management from Porto Business School in Portugal. It will last 9 months until next June and will look to get an internship and work experience while studying to build my profile. My ultimate ambition is to do a MBA in a few years with more work experience and leadership opportunities but I'm scared that I might compromise my chances at getting into a competitive program because of any overlap there might be. Am I right to be concerned about this or am I over thinking it all?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Post graduate diploma then onto MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 13:01
Perhaps I should add a bit more context to my story. My degree in Marketing is from what would be considered a regional university in the UK, it's got a decent reputation in the north-west of England but doesn't have the recognition of elite schools like Oxbridge or LSE. My total work experience is 19 months as I mentioned in my previous post but of course the whole visa situation has put a real spanner in the works. Even though I'm from Brazil I have lived my whole life in Europe and I am in the process of acquiring Portuguese nationality.

I'm thinking of studying for the GMAT while doing this course because there will be some classes I feel will be useful in preparing for the test (ie. Quant classes which I need to sharpen up). Plus I'm thinking that the course can add a little something to my future application to maybe balance out my undergrad from a lesser-known university. Like I said though I am concerned about compromising, or even ruining, my chances of getting into a MBA course in the future. Thanks.
Re: Post graduate diploma then onto MBA?   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2013, 13:01