Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Post-MBA goal: "Getting into a rotational program"???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Post-MBA goal: "Getting into a rotational program"??? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 11:47
Hi,

I am a career changer. I had been working in a small company(only a dozen employees) as a general manager.

I am applying for MBA, and want to get into a leadership development or rotational program after MBA.

in my essays, i put "getting in to a rotational program" as my short-term goal. I also write about how i am interested in general management, and interested in retail or consumer product industry. I also listed one or two rotational program (such as amazon, intel, etc) as examples.

I already got rejected by two schools, so i started looking back into my applications and try to improve.

is my short-term goal too vague and general? if so, any suggestion to improve it.

thanks in advance!!!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post-MBA goal: "Getting into a rotational program"??? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 22:23
Expert's post
Hello,

I would think that the bigger issue is that you are already a general manager... from the ad com's perspective, you've already achieved your goal, and don't need business school! You probably should reposition/reframe your goal to be more specific. I'm not sure what industry you're in now, but chances are that you could apply to a general management role in another industry and get the job.

I would make your long term goal more ambitious, and then identify the skills that you are missing to be qualified for that long term goal. Then, choose a short term career that would help you build those skills (whether that's industry knowledge or functional knowledge or leadership experience or large company experience, or whatever).

I hope this isn't too vague - feel free to ask any clarifying questions!

Best,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Post-MBA goal: "Getting into a rotational program"??? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 13:47
Thanks for your feedback. about the general manager title, it is just a big title in a very small company.

I have done some more research, this is what i come up with:

Short-term goal: Rotational Program in Retail Industry.
Reason: I am the general manager of a small retail chain (5 stores, with a dozen employees)

Interested job function: Vendor management or retail product management (can i do either/or? since they are similar functions)
Reason: I led the project to develop the merchandizing department in my company, building relationship with new vendors and increase the product variety. (will include this in one of the essays).

Does this look better?

thanks in advance!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post-MBA goal: "Getting into a rotational program"??? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 13:21
Expert's post
Hello,

I still worry that it overlaps too much with your current role, even if you are in a small company. I advise you to sign up for a free consultation with one of our consultants as this request is a bit beyond the scope of this forum. The consultations are free and can be conducted via phone or skype. You can sign up here - just let your consultant know that I suggested you could chat about this career narrative via free consultation. You should get great advice!

http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Best,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter