Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 11:46
Hi all,

I am a non-U.S. citizen with almost 4 years consulting experience with a top-tier firm. I am currently studying for the GMAT and am considering applying for a handful of top-tier U.S. schools later this fall. HOWEVER, given it takes two years to get your MBA in the U.S. and the cost involved (both in terms of lost income, and the initial outlay) I am not really keen to do so UNLESS it'll make me more employable in the U.S. post b-school. I could probably go work in one of my firm's U.S. offices post school, but I'm really interested in finding out about opportunities outside the firm post b-school.

I acknowledge that while the degree would not be entirely useless to me outside the U.S. i.e., if I return home (Australia / New Zealand) - but it is definitely not required, as work experience really trumps.

I would really appreciate hearing about the experiences of current/former international mba students from US bschools. Please tell me (honestly) how hard it is to get a job out of school. What was your experience? What was that of other international students you knew? I'm especially interested in knowing, how if at all, things have improved since the recession.

Many thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

Re: Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 23:15
I have not gone trough the process yet, but I'm not asking the same questions!
It seems like the MBA is a way for you to find a job in the US (and only that!)

Maybe try to answer first the question "why do you want an MBA?" (no matter where you take your degree). then "what are your career goals? and how the MBA will help?"

Don't go for the MBA just to move from your home country....
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 17:11
First

You can go for a one year program if that is really what you want. The 1Y program at Kellogg is e.g. great.

Secondly

I think you can def. get a job in the US as an international. Many jobs are marked "only for US residents" but one of the advice I got from our career center was not to listen to that - if you are interesting the companies want to talk to you despite that. They just don't want to flood their systems with international applications from people that might not be that interested in joining.

I am an international student and I did not have any problems finding internship.

I will stay in the US after graduation and have no worries that I will not find a job. I will probably stay with the company I am working with over the summer but I might look for something in the fall.

I think consulting, strategy roles at large companies, banking etc.. are sector very open to internationals.

Sectors/functions that are more difficult in the US are cpg marketing, PE, VC, government, non-profit as those either rely a lot on understanding of the US market or have very limited experience in / will to sponsor(ing) international students.

Good luck...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 17:57
I have the agree with the first comment. Why an MBA on essay is Totally different from why do you really want to do an MBA. For most people it's a career and employability. This certainly has to be a major factor in your desicion making pre-MBA. For international folks it's an even greater deal because the local politico-legal climate may not favor your career in the country of choice despite your choice of career in a foreign land.

If you would have noticed most career services say post MBA you can change either one of the following location, industry or role. So, saying location is not key in your why MBA is to say you are really not interested in your career post MBA.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 04:11
Quote:
If you would have noticed most career services say post MBA you can change either one of the following location, industry or role

FYI I changed all three

Industry: Banking to Consulting
Role: M&A to Strategy

so everything is possible for sure. I don't think you need to limit your goals to 1/3. Ex-banker in Eur/Asia can easily go into other fields in US etc...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 11:10
myself ashish from India , from a middleclass family taking a loan [100%fees]and thought to do mba in usa ,i have few questions
[1]is mba from average university in usa is worth to be taken as loan to pay tuition fees or there is hamburger of universities like scene in India and one cant pay loan so easily
[2]in order to pay loan i have to remain in usa for long time [as there is currency difference and if i come to india i cant pay loan],and to stay in usa i have to file h1b during opt status ,what are chances of this narration as of international student previous experience in this regard
[3]IS only top ranking 15 business school in usa fruitful in my case ,if yes their 2years tuition fee is around 100 k but i donot have that money and i have to take loan do they provide loan for international student?
[4] is scholar ship available .please comment
[5]my email id is -agodara97@yahoo.in
[6] my phone is 09460550497
[7] what are chances of h1b visa and job sponsership after mba in usa ,can opt be changed
Intern
Intern

Re: Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 20:24
ashish3 wrote:
myself ashish from India , from a middleclass family taking a loan [100%fees]and thought to do mba in usa ,i have few questions
[1]is mba from average university in usa is worth to be taken as loan to pay tuition fees or there is hamburger of universities like scene in India and one cant pay loan so easily
[2]in order to pay loan i have to remain in usa for long time [as there is currency difference and if i come to india i cant pay loan],and to stay in usa i have to file h1b during opt status ,what are chances of this narration as of international student previous experience in this regard
[3]IS only top ranking 15 business school in usa fruitful in my case ,if yes their 2years tuition fee is around 100 k but i donot have that money and i have to take loan do they provide loan for international student?
[4] is scholar ship available .please comment
[5]my email id is -agodara97@yahoo.in
[6] my phone is 09460550497
[7] what are chances of h1b visa and job sponsership after mba in usa ,can opt be changed

[1] No. I would never do an mba in the US in a school outside of the top notch - especially if you are an international

[2] To get sponsorship at a good firm is very difficult if you can't get into a top school.

[3] There are very limited financing options for international students, it differs though between schools

[4] Scholarship is always possible but you need to be distinctive to get a scholarship. You will (almost) never get a full scholarship. Good scholarship is around 30-40%
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 10:42
I chatted with recent TRUE international students (i.e. those who arrived in the USA for MBA and not stayed there for ages on a green card). Their view is that it is possible to get a job either in everybody's beloved consulting or in an fast-growing company such as Amazon or Apple that dont care about visa expenses.
Re: Post MBA job prospects for int'l students in the US   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2011, 10:42