Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 21:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ONE GMAT tip that helped the most...add your own!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [4] , given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
ONE GMAT tip that helped the most...add your own! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

What 1 tip made the most impact on your GMAT prep?

For me it is: Be able to drop a problem and move on without emotions

I think of it as a football player saying "after the game I leave it on the field" if a loss bothers a pro athlete they would all be severely depressed! we've seen great athlete blow it or just get into a funk for weeks or even months.

Being able to move on and doing so robotically keeps your head in the game, the timing right and IMO will bring your score up.
If you can move on without caring about the last problem or the last 2 minutes your going to have a better mindset. GMAT ZEN

Summary of Tips Contributed

1. Go easy the last couple days.
  2. SIMPLIFY, quant does a good job of masking the basics, so look for the underlying theme of the question.
  3. Keep an Error Log!
  4. Always remember: You have 180 minutes to make your future. Just forget everything and Stay focused, don't think you can do it, just do it...(more GMAT ZEN!)
  5. Read the debriefs on GMATCLUB.com they are motivating and a great map towards success. (overtime you will pick up on a pattern in the 700+ scorers' methods)
  6. Bring earplugs to the test. Some test centers may not have any.
  7. Energy drinks are your friend. One caveat: don't try any energy drink for the first time on test day
  8. Do not worry about practice scores, use them as a measure but don't let them get you depressed.
  9. Be able to drop a problem and move on without emotions
  10. One of the most useful tip that I have found during my GMATPrep is not to continuously study the same section for two many hours in a row.
  11. Take your practice tests in a variety of locations, perhaps a library or computer lab, which will simulate test center conditions.
  12. If you are not ready, you are not ready, don't be afraid to postpone!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by jordanhendrix on 20 Sep 2010, 13:37, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 15:32
This post received
KUDOS
go easy the last few days. i have seen a lot of people going hysterical because of last minute "horror" scores and they go in the center with a bad mood. I just take it easy - watch movie, play games etc.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
I haven't taken the GMAT yet but there are countless tips that I've come along during my study time that have helped me immensely. I'd say the biggest one is SIMPLIFY. Quant doesn't come easily to me so a lot of big scary algebra problems (i.e. those with exponents and multiple variables) often freaked me out when I saw them. However KAPLAN reminded me that the GMAT quant is less about complex calculations and moreso pulling out the most pertinent piece of information to answer the question asked. Most problems that seem complex can usually be simplified into more manageable terms that facilitate a relatively quick solution. It's especially helpful on data sufficiency.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 10

Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
I think the tip that was most impactful for me was to keep a quant error log. It's something I wouldn't have done if not for the oh-so-handy templates provided by GMAT Club, and it really allowed me to identify patterns in my missed questions.

It gave me a big jump in score after tracking back WHY I kept missing probability questions and I discovered I was making the mistake of not reading the question closely- for example, if it asked for the probability of something NOT happening I would answer with the probability of it happening. Stupid mistakes that are relatively easy to adjust your method and approach to = easy points and more confidence on exam day!

So big KUDOS to the developers of the error logs! You guys helped me so much!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
Always remember: You have 180 minutes to make your future.

Just forget everything and Stay focused, don't think you can do it, just do it...

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

1 KUDOS received
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 19:53
This post received
KUDOS
jordanhendrix wrote:
What one tip made the most impact?

For me it is: Be able to drop a problem and move on without emotions

I think of it as a football player saying "after the game I leave it on the field" if a loss bothers a pro athlete they would all be severely depressed! we've seen great athlete blow it or just get into a funk for weeks or even months.

Being able to move on and doing so robotically keeps your head in the game, the timing right and IMO will bring your score up.

If you can move on without caring about the last problem or the last 2 minutes your going to have a better mindset. GMAT ZEN

x2 + (whatever written below)

I guess just the quantity of people getting good scores on the GMAT really opened my eyes to the possibility. I originally thought I was just going to probably bank 500 or something around the average and be done but I got a lot of motivation to do better than what I wanted originally. Folks on here are real helpful (most of them), and it's really made a difference for me I think.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
WE 1: Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 20:42
This post received
KUDOS
I was going to write something profound about finding motivation to study but I figure that if you guys are already here on this website then you are way ahead of the pack.

Anyway, my one gmat tip is this....bring earplugs to the test.

Seriously, sitting in a room with 5 other dudes typing away on their essays is distracting.
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
I hope this isn't cheating, but we have an article with 5 GMAT Study tips. :)

http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/f ... y-tips.cfm

Hope they're helpful!

Best,
Caitlin

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [2] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Energy drinks are your friend.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Schools: Carey '16
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:00
Dawgie wrote:
Energy drinks are your friend.

Kudo's to that.

live off this stuff!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:04
I like redline more, my caffeine tolerance is too high.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:11
5 hour energy darnit! it doesnt get mentioned much at alll!!! it is magic in a bottle!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:21
^^^^I agree, 5 hour energy is the best, but back to the topic at hand, post your most beneficial tip, lets make this thread sticky worthy!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:27
Why would I use 5 hour when I can use 7 hour by redline. That's enough energy to take 2 GMAT's back to back!

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 502 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
1.Have a solid knowledge of concepts.
2.Do not consider yourself a smart-ass: you can't befool the GMAT! (well I wil learn sth from A and B and hope not to have much of C and D stuff).
3.Know your weaknesses.
4.Keep on error-log AND REVIEW IT constantly.
5.Work hard/ study smart.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Last edited by PTK on 17 Sep 2010, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 65 [2] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
On a serious note, I see a lot of people worrying about practice scores and getting depressed. This slows down your progress. Take practice tests for what they are, PRACTICE!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Post the ONE GMAT tip that helped you the most... [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
Dawgie wrote:
On a serious note, I see a lot of people worrying about practice scores and getting depressed. This slows down your progress. Take practice tests for what they are, PRACTICE!

This is great advice and would be my one gmat tip. My practice scores were 40+ points lower than my real gmat score. Don't stress over the practice scores.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

Re: ONE GMAT tip that helped the most...add your own! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 07:33
lets keep this going....

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2239

Kudos [?]: 8449 [2] , given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ONE GMAT tip that helped the most...add your own! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thank you, I have tried to add value by tweaking the formatting.

My tip relates to verbal and the tip that helped me the most on the GMAT was reading fiction books to improve my English. you can find my thoughts here books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html?highlight=ml310

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 115 [1] , given: 50

Re: ONE GMAT tip that helped the most...add your own! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
a) One of the most useful tip that I have found during my GMATPrep is not to continuously study the same section for two many hours in a row.

I would typically try to mix and match RC, CR and Math on a daily basis and make sure that all my neural circuits are well exercised :-D

b) Find your motivation behind GMAT and beyond-GMAT and imagine yourself basking in the satisfaction of having achieved it. It might sound like day-dreaming but whenever I go wrong on two many problems while solving Math questions, I image myself to being in my dream institution. Believe me it works and help you move past obstacles and helps focus on the larger goal.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Re: ONE GMAT tip that helped the most...add your own!   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2010, 17:35