Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 12

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 11:56
Good job mohater! It is absolutely helpful. Please keep updating.

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 05:43
Quant: Word translations

Quote:
Quant: Word translations

If you're not an engineer by trade (or some other things that practice word translations), this might be a struggle for you. If you took advanced math or advanced applied science (physics/chemistry) during university days, these will be much easier.

The key for word translation problems is writing everything down and then plugging in the right values/symbols for the words in question.

Example found using Google:

Quote:
In used car lot, there are three times as many red cars as green cars. If tomorrow 12 green cars are sold and 3 red cars are added,then there will be 6 times as many red cars as green cars. How many green cars are currently in the lot?

Note: There are three times as many red cars as green cars. This means there are MORE red cars, thus the multiplier should be next to the lower value (green cars).

Identify your variables (this doesn't need to be written down, but make sure variables are kept straight).

r = red cars
g = green cars

First sentence translated: r = 3g
Second sentence translated: 6(g-12) = r+3

Two different equations, two variables. Substitute in and solve.

6(g-12) = r + 3
Substitute 3g for r
6g - 72 = 3g + 3
Isolate the variable
6g - 72 (+72 - 3g) = 3g + 3 (-3g + 72)
=
3g = 75
g = 25

Granted this is an easy problem, but the approach is the same every time:

Write down your known and work to solve the problem.

I will revisit this post for rate problems.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 17:41
Nice, kudos to you mohater. Lots of views just mean lots of people are learning new strategy (or refreshing their memory).

Keep up the good work!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 10:43
For word translation problems you need lots of practice. They kill your time. You need to know how to solve them there and then otherwise they will suck you in and before you know it 5 mins have passed.

My thoughts anyway.
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 05:27
Aztec wrote:
For word translation problems you need lots of practice. They kill your time. You need to know how to solve them there and then otherwise they will suck you in and before you know it 5 mins have passed.

My thoughts anyway.

I completely agree.

As stated in the first post, these strategies are in no way a replacement for understanding the content or cutting short on practice.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 07:38
This is awesome mohatar!!!

please if you have more stgies please keep posting them!!!

thank you,

gilad

p.s. - make this "sticky"
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 09:32
I'm tapped out of strategies at the moment.

Verbal really seems to be the place where strategies can supplement the material. In quant, the focus really needs to be on the general concepts and problem solving skills. Solid problem solving skills will be your biggest asset on the quant section as the problems are designed to trip you up and improperly approach the problem (quadratic, word translations, exponential, etc.).

Also, content should always trump strategies when it comes to priorities. Anyone can focus on time management and only allocate an average of ~2 mins/problem. If you're spending too much time on each problem, a different approach is probably warranted.

I'll add more posts if I find other things or figure other things out.

I hope this was beneficial to everyone.

Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 13:26
samrus98 wrote:
I would like to share some tips & strategies that might prove to be useful while preparing and attempting the mocks as well as the GMAT:

1) Make sure no question is left unattempted as you will be heavily penalized for doing so. Its better to randomly mark an answer if you are pressed for time than leaving it unmarked.

2) Its common knowledge that first few questions are more important. In order to take advantage of this piece of information, spend more time on the first 15 questions, say an avg of 2.5 min per question. Spending that extra time on the first few questions will more or less fix your score band - this is what is meant by CAT.
Once the band is fixed i.e. once your level has been set by the computer, you will have to work really hard to change that level by either getting questions wrong continuously or getting them right continuously.

3) Even if there are 15 questions remaining and you have just 15 min to go, do not panic. Since your band has already been decided by the computer, in order to stay in that band all you have to do is make sure that you dont make too many continuous mistakes. Hence, for every 3 questions that you solve 'properly', mark the 4th question randomly and move ahead. This will make sure your mistakes are well dispersed and will also help you manage your time. BUT YOU SHOULD TRY AND ENSURE THAT YOU DON'T LAND UP IN SUCH A TIME CRUNCH!!

4) The importance of first few questions in each section has been emphasized enough everywhere. Although its not proven, it might be beneficial to remember that the initial 4-5 questions of each subsection in Verbal and Quant are also important in deciding your scire band. So give extra time to the first few questions of each subsection, irrespective of how late or early they figure in the test.

5) Maintain an error log of all the questions you solve and make a note of the mistake you made. Even for the questions you got correct, make sure that you read the solution and check whether the reasoning used by you is correct.

6) Make your own SC notes. Maybe for PS too. Your own consolidated notes along with the error log proves very handy at the time of revision.

7) a) Revise Manhattan SC Guide atleast 3 times
b) Revisit OG atleast once
c) Take GMATPREP tests 1 & 2 atleast 2 times each

8) Make use of the scratch pad that is made available at the test center. I used it while eliminating the options. I used to make a table as follows and mark a cross against the options that I have already eliminated:
A B C D E
1 x x x x
I also used the scratch pad to write down the gist of each para in an RC passage.

9)
a) Do not try to plan your strategies around the 11 experimental questions (these are not scored) that are present in each of the 2 GMAT sections as there is no way of knowing which are experimental and which are not. Don't assume that a question must be experimental and won't be score just because it seems too tough.
b) Do not assume that you are doing well (not doing well) when you see (don't see) Boldface questions or Probability/PnC questions on the test.

10) Prepare a list of 15 schools you would want to send your scores to. Depending upon how much you score you may then select the final 5 schools and save 17$ * 5 = 85$

nice one .. kudos to you ... I will keep in mind about the first 15 questions strategy while doing practise tests. Can you please share your SC and PS notes if possible.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 13:39
samrus98 wrote:
I would like to share some tips & strategies that might prove to be useful while preparing and attempting the mocks as well as the GMAT:

1) Make sure no question is left unattempted as you will be heavily penalized for doing so. Its better to randomly mark an answer if you are pressed for time than leaving it unmarked.

2) Its common knowledge that first few questions are more important. In order to take advantage of this piece of information, spend more time on the first 15 questions, say an avg of 2.5 min per question. Spending that extra time on the first few questions will more or less fix your score band - this is what is meant by CAT.
Once the band is fixed i.e. once your level has been set by the computer, you will have to work really hard to change that level by either getting questions wrong continuously or getting them right continuously.

3) Even if there are 15 questions remaining and you have just 15 min to go, do not panic. Since your band has already been decided by the computer, in order to stay in that band all you have to do is make sure that you dont make too many continuous mistakes. Hence, for every 3 questions that you solve 'properly', mark the 4th question randomly and move ahead. This will make sure your mistakes are well dispersed and will also help you manage your time.
BUT YOU SHOULD TRY AND ENSURE THAT YOU DON'T LAND UP IN SUCH A TIME CRUNCH!!

4) The importance of first few questions in each section has been emphasized enough everywhere. Although its not proven, it might be beneficial to remember that the initial 4-5 questions of each subsection in Verbal and Quant are also important in deciding your score band. So give extra time to the first few questions of each of the 5 subsections, irrespective of how late or early they figure in the test.

5) Maintain an error log of all the questions you solve and make a note of the mistakes you made. Even for the questions you get right, make sure that you read the solution and check whether the reasoning used by you is correct.

6) Make your own SC notes. Maybe for PS too. Your own consolidated notes along with the error log proves very handy at the time of revision.

7) a) Revise Manhattan SC Guide at least 3 times
b) Revisit OG questions at least once
c) Take GMATPREP tests 1 & 2 at least 2 times each

8) Make use of the scratch pad that is made available at the test center. I used it while eliminating the options. I used to make a table as follows and mark a cross against the options that I have already eliminated:
A B C D E
1 x x x x
I also used the scratch pad to write down the gist of each para in an RC passage.

9)
a) Do not try to plan your strategies around the 11 experimental questions (these are not scored) that are present in each of the 2 GMAT sections as there is no way of knowing which are experimental and which are not. Don't assume that a question must be experimental and won't be score just because it seems too tough.
b) Do not assume that you are doing well (not doing well) when you see (don't see) Boldface questions or Probability/PnC questions on the test.

10) Prepare a list of 15 schools you would want to send your scores to. Depending upon how much you score you may then select the final 5 schools and save 17$ * 5 = 85$

Great insights :!: :!:
Way to go dude :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: The post your strategies here thread [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 13:54
mohater wrote:
Critical Reasoning (CR) Strategy:

Quote:
Critical Reasoning (CR) Strategy:

The more difficult CR questions tend to have more vague answers. That being said, you can still usually knock off two or three of the answer choices. This is the process that has worked for me:

DO NOT read the information first. Skip down and read the question (i.e. Which of these if true would seriously weaken the argument of X).

Now read the stem. Make note if any parts are bold.

Re-read the question after reading the information.

On your testing center provided pad - list out the answer choices. Next, as you read the answer choices, list how the answer choice addresses the question at hand. Use some form of shorthand to get your notes down quick.

i.e.
+ - na - na
A B C D E

If the above example corresponds to a question that is asking which choice strengthens, your answer is A. If it is asking which answer choice weakens, you will select between B and D.

Using this method will help you establish a streamlined method of approach.

Remember, on standardized tests, there isn't always a "right" answer. With these more subjective questions, your goal is to identify the "best" answer.

The short hand technique for marking the answers is very very helpful, even though it is time consuming to do so.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 14:27
samrus98 wrote:

3) Even if there are 15 questions remaining and you have just 15 min to go, do not panic. Since your band has already been decided by the computer, in order to stay in that band all you have to do is make sure that you dont make too many continuous mistakes. Hence, for every 3 questions that you solve 'properly', mark the 4th question randomly and move ahead. This will make sure your mistakes are well dispersed and will also help you manage your time.

4) The importance of first few questions in each section has been emphasized enough everywhere. Although its not proven, it might be beneficial to remember that the initial 4-5 questions of each subsection in Verbal and Quant are also important in deciding your score band. So give extra time to the first few questions of each of the 5 subsections, irrespective of how late or early they figure in the test.

5) Maintain an error log of all the questions you solve and make a note of the mistakes you made. Even for the questions you get right, make sure that you read the solution and check whether the reasoning used by you is correct.

7) a) Revise Manhattan SC Guide at least 3 times
b) Revisit OG questions at least once
c) Take GMATPREP tests 1 & 2 at least 2 times each

A B C D E
1 x x x x

9)

PS: Some members have requested me to share my SC notes on the forum. Thus, I have attached the pdf at the end of this post! Hope it proves to be beneficial...

Hats off kudos to you samrus98......this is neat......i am happy i found this site so early in my prep....looks like it will be time well spent!
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 04:38
samrus98 wrote:

I really disagree with the above. It's very possible to move your band up after the first 5-6 questions.

You don't know what problems are experimental and what problems are graded. Out of your first five questions, it's entirely possible two EXTREMELY difficult ones are experimental and thus you just wasted a lot of valuable time on questions that are not applicable to your score.

I tried this strategy on my first attempt at the GMAT and scored a 610. I abandoned that strategy and went to an average of ~2/mins fixed, and scored 710.

The exam might throw lower banded questions at you even if you're in the 700 to 800 range. If you answer those problems incorrectly due to time constraints, your score will drop more by missing easy problems than by missing more difficult problems.

It is VERY easy to crash and burn at the end of a test.

Kaplan and Princeton both teach the focus on the early problem strategy. Other programs teach to fix on an average time spent per problem.

Sameer,

Your attachment has copy right info in it. Unless you have the rights to publish that info from the various sources, I suggest you remove the attachment.

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 04:44
Folks,

The locked master strategy thread has been posted:

best-gmat-strategy-thread-no-discussion-82453.html

Please continue to post/discuss strategies here. I will update the strategy master thread as needed.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 00:20
Hi mohater,

Please keep posting these useful strategies. Its a great help.

Also please help me with this doubt ::
Yesterday I encountered a quant problem(PR test) in which I was made to convert Feet to Yards to come to the final answer. This was a surprise because never earlier I have encountered such situation. Does it mean one needs to memorize such CONVERSIONS ?

Regards,
Saaquib

If you find any grammatical mistake in my post please don't hesitate in pointing out.

Please +1 if you find this post useful.

My Blog

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 03:03
Saaquib wrote:
Hi mohater,

Please keep posting these useful strategies. Its a great help.

Also please help me with this doubt ::
Yesterday I encountered a quant problem(PR test) in which I was made to convert Feet to Yards to come to the final answer. This was a surprise because never earlier I have encountered such situation. Does it mean one needs to memorize such CONVERSIONS ?

Hello Saaquib,

I have not encountered such a conversion on any practice questions or on the real test (on both attempts).

Were you provided the conversion on this problem?

I wouldn't worry too much about these conversions (unless you see questions like that on GMATprep). Focus on the most common conversions (see in the quant forum and listed in the quant strategy section here/the master thread).

Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 14:39
I found this strategy to be useful for plugging in numbers

suppose the questions asks u something like this

Q) x+ 70 = 100 then what is x ?

A) 10
B) 25
c) 30
d) 20
e) 15

I normally pick up the middle value i.e. 20 and plug in and see

20+70 = 90 so I need a number larger than 20 so I would eliminate the rest and plug in only 25 and 30

I am just giving the simplest of examples, but in more complicated cases this was quite useful for me.
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 04:58
The picking #s strategy can work, but it does not usually bode well on higher ranked problems (600+).

Jeff Sackmann (Author of Gmathacks GMAT verbal/quant Bible) has a write up on the matter:
http://www.gmathacks.com/math-strategy/ ... mbers.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 41

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 10:16
Mohater - great thread. Keep em coming!

I firmly believe that Number picking , espc in DS number properties & inequalities are black holes as far as time goes. They are very tempting at first and one knows, the answer is just around the corner if one plugs the "right" number/s.However, one soon finds out that even after "X" tries he/she is no where near the solution.

The test makers deliberately use this to devise problems that suck in lot of time and leave you moving in circles.

Just my 2 cents.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 12

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 21:15
snipertrader wrote:
Mohater - great thread. Keep em coming!

I firmly believe that Number picking , espc in DS number properties & inequalities are black holes as far as time goes. They are very tempting at first and one knows, the answer is just around the corner if one plugs the "right" number/s.However, one soon finds out that even after "X" tries he/she is no where near the solution.

The test makers deliberately use this to devise problems that suck in lot of time and leave you moving in circles.

Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree with snipertrader. Testtakers desperate attempts make them choose wrong answers even after spending 4 or more mins on the question. You got to use the correct numbers, especially in DS.

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz) [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 14:39
bump for people taking the GMAT soon.

Re: Post your strategies or provide feedback (plz)   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2009, 14:39