Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

0% APR and Balance Transfers?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

0% APR and Balance Transfers? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 17:06
Hey all you lucky people who are starting at your dream school! :)

I was talking to a friend the other day, and we were talking about the American Express Blue card with its 15 months 0% APR deal... along with some Citibank Cards that give you 12 month balance transfer with 0% APR.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the 15 months 0% APR deal to buy every day stuff (anything that lets you use your AmEx), and then when that's up, transfer the balance to a CitiCard and pretty much have zero interest for the duration of your MBA?

You can still get loans, but just keep them in high interest savings or CD, and pay off the credit card bills the second you graduate and get a job.

Is there some flaw in this, or is it too good to be true? (other than paying for tuition, of course)
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: 0% APR and Balance Transfers? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 17:20
kryzak wrote:
Hey all you lucky people who are starting at your dream school! :)

I was talking to a friend the other day, and we were talking about the American Express Blue card with its 15 months 0% APR deal... along with some Citibank Cards that give you 12 month balance transfer with 0% APR.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the 15 months 0% APR deal to buy every day stuff (anything that lets you use your AmEx), and then when that's up, transfer the balance to a CitiCard and pretty much have zero interest for the duration of your MBA?

You can still get loans, but just keep them in high interest savings or CD, and pay off the credit card bills the second you graduate and get a job.

Is there some flaw in this, or is it too good to be true? (other than paying for tuition, of course)

Don't know either card well, but I will tell you what I used to tell me financial counseling clients:

BEWARE THE FINE PRINT

If you accidentally make a purchase on the card with the 0% balance transfer, that purchase will accrue the going rate, whatever that will be. And of course any payments you make on the card will be applied toward teh 0% balance and not the higher rate balance. Yikes.

If you miss one payment, even by a matter of a day, your rate on the whole shebang will go through the roof. Bad.

If you miss a payment on something else in your credit report, the credit card companies might decide to nail you with universal default rates - bad.

Playing the "shell game" with credit cards can be beneficial, but you have to do it right. Some folks I know manage that well, but many don't.

And don't forget that opening lots of new accts is likely to adversely affect your credit score. Of course, this is a fairly minor consideration, especially if your credit history is already fairly robust.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 21:22
i did that to consolidate a few smaller things. if you are VERY disciplined it could work, but if you miss by a day hello 29.99%!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 10:22
Thanks Aau and Zakk.

Yup, I know the part about balance transfers. I plan on opening a card only to hold the transfer, and never use it (since I have other cards that I normally use). The American Express 15-month 0% APR is just a normal card that has no APR for 15 months...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 12:04
Bear in mind that Amex is famous for pulling Financial Reviews. If you are a full time student without a regular income and they FR you, it could mean the loss of your credit line.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 13:02
ahh, didn't know that, that's very good to know! I will look into that!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 04:35
It might be difficult to get approved (at least for more than $1,000) for the second cc that allows balance transfers if you have a heavy duty balance on another cc.

Otherwise, it seems like a crafty plan. As stated earlier, just don't miss those payments! I would make them the first day the statement is available.

Last edited by kidderek on 03 Sep 2007, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 12:43
I work for a pretty big CC issuer as an analyst and can say that I do know how the cards work. What you plan to do is VERY Common BUT- make sure you NEVER miss a payment on your 0% BT and DO NOT use it for any purchase once you transfer balances over to that card. IF you miss payment on that card-your APR rises up not only on that card but also on all your other cards (known as universal default). I know companies are moving away from UD but most companies still follow this.

PM me if you have any questions ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 17:36
Thank you dosa! I'll keep that in mind! I don't plan on using the the CC that I do the BT on.
  [#permalink] 02 Sep 2007, 17:36