Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

(1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

(1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2004, 14:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
2. (1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor the primary researcher knows whether the patient is being given the drug being tested or a placebo, is the most effective procedure for testing the efficacy of a drug. (2) But we will not be able to perform such a study on this new drug, since the drug will have various effects on the patients’ bodies, which will make us aware of whether the patients are getting the drug or a placebo.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a general consideration that introduces the argument; the second is a special situation that weighs against the first.
(B) The first is a general principle that is necessary for this argument; the second is an anti-consideration that the argument includes.
(C) The first is a premise that this argument includes; the second is a main idea that can be drawn from this argument.
(D) The first is an evidence that this argument includes; the second is a conclusion that can not be drawn from this argument.
(E) The first is a general situation that supports this argument; the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from a special fact.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2004, 15:08
I'll go with C and will explain if it's right

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2004, 15:11
no idea if its right i dont have any OA's just this file of bold face crs which i got from the forum
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2004, 15:23
A) The first part is a premise of the argument, not a general consideration. Moreover, the second part is not a special situation; it is something that can be directly drawn from the first.
B) no principle at all here
D) the second CAN be drawn from the first because if neither the patient NOR the researcher knows what is being given, the risk of such an experiment is too high: this is confirmed by the second bold face portion
E) The first is just the premise of the argument, it does not support anything. Furthermore, the second can be drawn from the first as a whole; it is no special instance of the first (it does not need any special fact of the first as it is just a generalization from what the first bold face gives)

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2004, 12:48
A.

C - Second bold statement is not the main idea.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2004, 12:59
Geethu wrote:
A.

I totally disagree here. C is the main idea: the drug test will never be tested. This is what the central point of the excerpt is. Just a hint: Remove everything else except BF2 and you will see the main idea: We will not be able to perform those drug tests because the effects are unknown and risky. Now, remove everything except BF1: you have ONLY a brief description, a premise, of what the drug test is about. It is in no way the main idea of the passage since there is nothing suggested here. I am adamant about C 8-)

Best Regards,

Paul

Last edited by Paul on 23 Aug 2004, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2004, 13:05
I'll go D, ill explain if correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2004, 13:14
SigEpUCI wrote:
I'll go D, ill explain if correct.

there are no OA so all we can do is debate on this question :)
Sige, I don't agree with D. BF1 says that neither the patient nor the researcher knows what is being given. Can we not conclude from that that it is plain too risky to test the drug in question because the effects could be catastrophic if the wrong drug is given? Hence, can we not know the conclusion right from BF1? :shock:

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2004, 14:58
After re-reading it, I agree with you Paul. C is the answer, as the conclusion is logically drawn.

I misread it to conclude that "no drug can be tested with a double blind study", not as "this drug (which supported by evidence) can be tested with a double blind study".

:lol:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 01:38
bumping up this old one for discussion again. I am going with A. I cannot see how C can be right. I think this is a special situation because the author talks about "this new drug".
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 07:41
Paul wrote:
Geethu wrote:
A.

I totally disagree here. C is the main idea: the drug test will never be tested. This is what the central point of the excerpt is. Just a hint: Remove everything else except BF2 and you will see the main idea: We will not be able to perform those drug tests because the effects are unknown and risky. Now, remove everything except BF1: you have ONLY a brief description, a premise, of what the drug test is about. It is in no way the main idea of the passage since there is nothing suggested here. I am adamant about C 8-)

The main idea is not that the drug will never be tested. The main idea is to show that the particular method od testing may not be viable for the drug. In my view the bf introduces the background for the argument and the second bf introduces a special case that weighs against the generalization made by the first.

I also believe A is a better answer.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 08:25
One more A guys.
  [#permalink] 12 Feb 2007, 08:25