Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2016, 19:39
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

(1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2004
Posts: 119
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

(1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2004, 15:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (03:48) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 10 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

2. (1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor the primary researcher knows whether the patient is being given the drug being tested or a placebo, is the most effective procedure for testing the efficacy of a drug. (2) But we will not be able to perform such a study on this new drug, since the drug will have various effects on the patients’ bodies, which will make us aware of whether the patients are getting the drug or a placebo.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a general consideration that introduces the argument; the second is a special situation that weighs against the first.
(B) The first is a general principle that is necessary for this argument; the second is an anti-consideration that the argument includes.
(C) The first is a premise that this argument includes; the second is a main idea that can be drawn from this argument.
(D) The first is an evidence that this argument includes; the second is a conclusion that can not be drawn from this argument.
(E) The first is a general situation that supports this argument; the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from a special fact.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2004, 16:08
I'll go with C and will explain if it's right
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2004
Posts: 119
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2004, 16:11
no idea if its right i dont have any OA's just this file of bold face crs which i got from the forum
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2004, 16:23
A) The first part is a premise of the argument, not a general consideration. Moreover, the second part is not a special situation; it is something that can be directly drawn from the first.
B) no principle at all here
D) the second CAN be drawn from the first because if neither the patient NOR the researcher knows what is being given, the risk of such an experiment is too high: this is confirmed by the second bold face portion
E) The first is just the premise of the argument, it does not support anything. Furthermore, the second can be drawn from the first as a whole; it is no special instance of the first (it does not need any special fact of the first as it is just a generalization from what the first bold face gives)
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2003
Posts: 424
Location: Aus
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2004, 13:48
A.

C - Second bold statement is not the main idea.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2004, 13:59
Geethu wrote:
A.

C - Second bold statement is not the main idea.

I totally disagree here. C is the main idea: the drug test will never be tested. This is what the central point of the excerpt is. Just a hint: Remove everything else except BF2 and you will see the main idea: We will not be able to perform those drug tests because the effects are unknown and risky. Now, remove everything except BF1: you have ONLY a brief description, a premise, of what the drug test is about. It is in no way the main idea of the passage since there is nothing suggested here. I am adamant about C 8-)
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul


Last edited by Paul on 23 Aug 2004, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Posts: 273
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2004, 14:05
I'll go D, ill explain if correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2004, 14:14
SigEpUCI wrote:
I'll go D, ill explain if correct.

there are no OA so all we can do is debate on this question :)
Sige, I don't agree with D. BF1 says that neither the patient nor the researcher knows what is being given. Can we not conclude from that that it is plain too risky to test the drug in question because the effects could be catastrophic if the wrong drug is given? Hence, can we not know the conclusion right from BF1? :shock:
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Posts: 273
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2004, 15:58
After re-reading it, I agree with you Paul. C is the answer, as the conclusion is logically drawn.

I misread it to conclude that "no drug can be tested with a double blind study", not as "this drug (which supported by evidence) can be tested with a double blind study".

:lol:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 921
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2007, 02:38
bumping up this old one for discussion again. I am going with A. I cannot see how C can be right. I think this is a special situation because the author talks about "this new drug".
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1559
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2007, 08:41
Paul wrote:
Geethu wrote:
A.

C - Second bold statement is not the main idea.

I totally disagree here. C is the main idea: the drug test will never be tested. This is what the central point of the excerpt is. Just a hint: Remove everything else except BF2 and you will see the main idea: We will not be able to perform those drug tests because the effects are unknown and risky. Now, remove everything except BF1: you have ONLY a brief description, a premise, of what the drug test is about. It is in no way the main idea of the passage since there is nothing suggested here. I am adamant about C 8-)



The main idea is not that the drug will never be tested. The main idea is to show that the particular method od testing may not be viable for the drug. In my view the bf introduces the background for the argument and the second bf introduces a special case that weighs against the generalization made by the first.

I also believe A is a better answer.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 734
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2007, 09:25
One more A guys.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 41
GMAT Date: 12-30-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: (1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 14:51
I think the answer can be B..OA please :?:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 315
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 113

Re: (1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2014, 02:55
Please provide OA. I think the answer is A.


damit wrote:
2. (1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor the primary researcher knows whether the patient is being given the drug being tested or a placebo, is the most effective procedure for testing the efficacy of a drug. (2) But we will not be able to perform such a study on this new drug, since the drug will have various effects on the patients’ bodies, which will make us aware of whether the patients are getting the drug or a placebo.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a general consideration that introduces the argument; the second is a special situation that weighs against the first.
(B) The first is a general principle that is necessary for this argument; the second is an anti-consideration that the argument includes.
(C) The first is a premise that this argument includes; the second is a main idea that can be drawn from this argument.
(D) The first is an evidence that this argument includes; the second is a conclusion that can not be drawn from this argument.
(E) The first is a general situation that supports this argument; the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from a special fact.

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Re: (1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2014, 02:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Scientists have created double-blind studies so that neither the Harley1980 2 08 Aug 2015, 03:05
26 Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by goalsnr 15 23 Jul 2008, 18:26
Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by prasannar 10 11 Jun 2008, 21:23
Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by Caas 2 05 Jun 2007, 10:08
Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by ayushi 8 10 Oct 2006, 15:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

(1) A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.