Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 A journalist recently noted that the Stanford Linear

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 303 [1] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
1 A journalist recently noted that the Stanford Linear [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 02:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:13) correct 50% (27:54) wrong based on 43 sessions
1 A journalist recently noted that the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center superficially resembles the pipe-filled basement of a large apartment building, each pipe a conduit not for water, but for electrons traveling through it at near-light speed.

A. each pipe a conduit not for water, but for electrons traveling through it
B. each pipe a conduit not for water, but for electrons traveling through them
C. all the pipes a conduit not for water, but for electrons traveling through them
D. all the pipes a conduit not for water, but for electrons traveling through it
E. every pipe a conduit not for water, but for electrons traveling through them

2 Having the crack Phoenician fleet being decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis, the Persian king Xerxes, whose initial arrogance quickly changed to horror, fled back to Asia and left his remaining troops under the generalship of his brother-in-law, Mardonius.

A. Having the crack Phoenician fleet being decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis
B. In view of his crack Phoenician fleet had been decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis
C. Because of there having been a much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis that decimated his crack Phoenician fleet
D. Seeing as the crack Phoenician fleet having been decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis
E. His crack Phoenician fleet decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis

3 Because it reckoned the avant-garde staging of Swan Lake as not only its greatest but also its most lucrative triumph of the preceding year, the ballet troupe's Board of Directors unanimously voted to reengage the controversial choreographer for another season.

A. it reckoned the avant-garde staging of Swan Lake as not only its greatest but also its most lucrative triumph
B. it reckoned the avant-garde staging of Swan Lake to have not only been its greatest and most lucrative triumph
C. it was reckoned that the avant-garde staging of Swan Lake has been not only their greatest but also most lucrative triumph
D. they reckoned the avant-garde staging of Swan Lake as not only their greatest but also most lucrative triumph
E. they had reckoned the avant-garde staging of Swan Lake to not only have been their greatest but the most lucrative triumph

4 Overlooking a quaint eastern German village, an entrepreneur recently purchased the Schloss Hoheneck prison who plans to convert it into a hotel where customers will pay over US$100 per night to sleep on a hard bed, eat poor-quality food, and experience what he calls that "irresistible jail-house feeling".

A. Overlooking a quaint eastern German village, an entrepreneur recently purchased the Schloss Hoheneck prison who plans to convert it into a hotel where customers will pay over US$100 per night to sleep on a hard bed, eat poor-quality food, and experience what he calls that "irresistible jail-house feeling"

B. Overlooking a quaint eastern German village, an entrepreneur who recently purchased the Schloss Hoheneck prison plans to convert it into a hotel where customers will pay over US$100 per night to sleep on a hard bed, eat poor-quality food, and experience what he calls that "irresistible jail-house feeling"

C. Overlooking a quaint eastern German village, the Schloss Hoheneck prison was recently purchased by an entrepreneur who plans to convert it into a hotel where customers will pay over US$100 per night to sleep on a hard bed, eat poor-quality food, and experience what he calls that "irresistible jail-house feeling"

D. An entrepreneur who recently purchased, overlooking a quaint eastern German village, the Schloss Hoheneck prison, plans to convert it into a hotel where customers will pay over US$100 per night to sleep on a hard bed, eat poor-quality food, and experience what he calls that "irresistible jail-house feeling"

E. An entrepreneur, having recently purchased the Schloss Hoheneck prison, overlooking a quaint eastern German village, plans to convert it into a hotel where customers will pay over US$100 per night to sleep on a hard bed, eat poor-quality food, and experience what he calls that "irresistible jail-house feeling"

5 Donizetti's Gemma di Vergy, as well as many other belcanto operas of the first half of the 19th century, is infrequently produced today, mostly on account of requiring singers with a virtuosic vocal ability in all of the roles.

A. on account of requiring singers
B. on account of their requiring a singer
C. because it requires singers
D. because of it requiring singers
E. being that it requires a singer

6 Published in Soweto, the owner and editor of the Chronicle were two young journalists, Jefferson Roger and A. William Whitaker, who would later make his reputation as a political leader.

A. Published in Soweto, the owner and editor of the Chronicle were two young journalists, Jefferson Roger and A. William Whitaker, who would later make his reputation as a political leader.
B. Published in Soweto, two young journalists, Jefferson Roger and A. William Whitaker, who would later make his reputation as a political leader, were owner and editor of the Chronicle.
C. Published in Soweto, the Chronicle was owned and edited by two young journalists, Jefferson Roger, who would later make his reputation as a political leader, and A. William Whitaker.
D. The Chronicle was owned and edited by two young journalists, Jefferson Roger and A. William Whitaker, who would later make his reputation as a political leader, and publish in Soweto.
E. The owner and editor being two young journalists, Jefferson Roger and A. William Whitaker, who would later make his reputation as a political leader, the Chronicle was published in Soweto.

7 The criminologist reported that it is not uncommon for violent criminals to subject a victim to humiliations similar to those which they experienced as children.

A. similar to those which they experienced as children.
B. similar to those that they experienced as a child.
C. similar to those that they experienced as children.
D. such as those, which they experienced as a child.
E. such as those that they experienced as children.

8 The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.

A. for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft
B. if they privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft
C. if a reusable craft is privately financed and successfully launched by them
D. by privately financing and successfully launching a reusable craft
E. to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft

9 National Park Service officials claim that ever escalating prices of oil have grown to compel cutbacks in all operations from park tours to maintenance.

A. prices of oil have grown to compel
B. prices of oil are a compeller for
C. oil prices are compelling
D. growth in oil prices is compelling
E. oil prices have grown to compel

10 A recent study found that casual, unregulated fishermen are catching a substantial number of overfished species, and even "catch-and-release" fishermen contribute to the problem since released fish are often stunned from the sudden cutoff of oxygen and thus, become easy prey after their release.

A. substantial number of overfished species, and
B. substantial number of overfished species, and then
C. substantial number of overfished species, and that
D. majority of overfished species, as
E. majority of overfished species, and that

11 Scientists are increasingly descending upon the small town of Twinsburg, Ohio once a year for its Twins Days Parade, which is consistent with a growing appreciation in the scientific community for twin research.

A. Twins Days Parade, which is consistent with a growing appreciation in the scientific community for twin research
B. Twins Days Parade, a phenomenon consistent with its growing appreciation for twin research
C. Twins Days Parade; this is consistent with a growing appreciation in the scientific community for twin research
D. Twins Days Parade; this increased scientific presence is consistent with a growing appreciation in the scientific community for twin research
E. parade known as the Twins Days Parade, consistent with a growing appreciation in the scientific community for twin research

12 So substantial has been the increase in demand for treehouses that the world's leading treehouse builder will build over 150 treehouses in 2004, up from three in 1996.

A. So substantial has been the increase in demand for treehouses that
B. The increase in demand for treehouses has been so substantial, so that
C. The increased demand for treehouses has been such,
D. Such has the increased demand for treehouses been that
E. Such has been the increased demand for treehouses, that

GOOD LUCK!
ANSWER KEY:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
1 A
2 E
3 A
4 C
5 C
6 C
7 C
8 E
9 C
10 C
11 D
12 A
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 37

Re: A Dozen Tricky Sentence Correction Questions. [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
Here is my thought process and answer chosen for each of these problems:

1)

- Eliminate C&D from "all the pipes a conduit"
- Eliminate B&E from "electrons traveling through them"

A is the last man standing.
P.S. What a weird sentence.

2)

- Eliminate A from "Having...being"
- Eliminate B from "in view of his...had been"
- Eliminate D from "seeing..having"
- E > C

E is the last man standing.
P.S. Anyone see any explicit errors in C?

3)

- Eliminate B from "not only...and"
- Eliminate C because it changes who was doing the reckoning.
- Eliminate D from "not only...but also"
- Eliminate E from "not only...but the"

4)

This one is easy. Eliminate A, B, D, and E from the commas and first/second clauses. No need to even look at C, although if you are crushing the pace on your test, then it's worth it.

C is the last man standing.

5)

- Eliminate B from "their"
- Eliminate E from "being"

C > A&D

6)

- Eliminate A because "published...owner and editor"
- Eliminate B for same reason
- Eliminate E because it's a poorly structured sentence
- Eliminate D from "and publish"

7)

- After looking at A&B, we can decide that "that" is the proper usage here because it is essential. Therefore, we'll eliminate all "which" options.
- So, eliminate A & D
- Eliminate B from "child".
C>E in this case because the humiliations aren't just humiliations, they're re-imaginations of the ones which they experienced.

P.S. Apparently there are serial killers at GMAC!

8)

This is an interesting sentence. After reading it once and skimming the options, I've decided that I want to see something along the lines of "to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft". What's most similar to that?

- E actually matches that.

Pick E.

9)

- Eliminate A from "have grown"
- Eliminate B because it's not clear that cutbacks have occurred
- Eliminate D...half-heartedly. I'm not convinced that "escalating growth" is actually incorrect.
- Eliminate E from "grown to compel"

C>D

10)

- Eliminate D & E because we can't conclude it's a majority.
- Eliminate B because "and then"

C seems to work better than A. Not sure on the rule that applies here.

11)

- Eliminate A&B because second clause seems to refer to parade
- Kind of lost on what to do next, but fortunately...
- D is so obviously the best choice here. It's worth knowing proper use of semicolons. This is it.

D is the last man standing.

12)

- Eliminate B from "so that"
- Eliminate C from "such,"
- Eliminate E from "treehouses,"
- A or D?
- This one's tough, but A seems to be more clear. Not sure on the rule here.

--

Looks like 100%. Yay! Could have just as easily been 11/12 though. The trick is to eliminate options. Once you find a reason to kill an option, don't ever look at it again. Doing so will just confuse you. However, in some instances with really tricky problems, you'll end up "eliminating" every option, in which case you need to obviously backtrack and pick the most grammatically correct option.

Last edited by vandygrad11 on 11 Jun 2012, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

Re: A Dozen Tricky Sentence Correction Questions. [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 14:30
macjas wrote:
really? no more takers?

:-)

People feel overwhelmed by seeing so many questions at one page....

My answers matched with OAs of 10/12 questions but I have my own doubts on OA of Ques-2.

I think, option-E in this question doesn't leave the same impression that is intended. It doesn't what effect did clause before comma had on the subject of the sentence. Considering all other options very wierd, I went with less-devil Option - B

Would you post OE for this question?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

Re: A Dozen Tricky Sentence Correction Questions. [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 20:17
Thanks for sharing.. Good set of questions

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: A Dozen Tricky Sentence Correction Questions. [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 20:41
anordinaryguy wrote:
macjas wrote:
really? no more takers?

:-)

People feel overwhelmed by seeing so many questions at one page....

My answers matched with OAs of 10/12 questions but I have my own doubts on OA of Ques-2.

I think, option-E in this question doesn't leave the same impression that is intended. It doesn't what effect did clause before comma had on the subject of the sentence. Considering all other options very wierd, I went with less-devil Option - B

Would you post OE for this question?

Your'e probably right. In anycase I think I'll repost the questions as individual questions; that way they will also be tagged. Now for OE of Q2:

This question is testing modification, but with a twist. Xerxes' Phoenician fleet has been decimated—the opening phrase must allude to Xerxes. In choice (A), having modifies Xerxes, but the verbal form having…being decimated does not work. In choice (B), the phrase in view of cannot govern the verb had been decimated; it must take a noun and participle. Eliminate (B). Choice (C) is awkward and wordy, uses there as a dummy subject, which is generally a clue to an incorrect answer on the GMAT, and puts the emphasis on the Greek fleet rather than on the decimation of Xerxes' fleet. In choice (D), seeing as is too colloquial to be correct; further, idiomatic usage of seeing as demands that it take a subject and verb, not a noun and participle as fleet having been decimated. Thus, only choice (E) remains.

Here's the twist—technically, the noun-participle phrase his fleet decimated does not modify Xerxes although his does allude to him. Rather, the whole introductory phrase is the somewhat archaic, but grammatically correct, construction called "nominative absolute," which consists of a phrase made up of a grammatically unattached noun modified by a participle that is clearly connected in meaning to the rest of the sentence Thus, choice (E) is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: A Dozen Tricky Sentence Correction Questions. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 23:39
Thanks for the questions macjas,

Tried em and got 2,3,11 wrong.

The explanation by vandygrad11 are really helpful but i have a few additions to make here:

In 3, we can just eliminate C, D and E because each uses the word they for Board of Directors(singular entity) and B is missing but also(hanging fragment).

In 11, I have no idea what to think since D seems like the second sentence is depended on the first :shock:

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 303 [1] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: A Dozen Tricky Sentence Correction Questions. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 23:44
This post received
KUDOS
Aki wrote:
Thanks for the questions macjas,

Tried em and got 2,3,11 wrong.

The explanation by vandygrad11 are really helpful but i have a few additions to make here:

In 3, we can just eliminate C, D and E because each uses the word they for Board of Directors(singular entity) and B is missing but also(hanging fragment).

In 11, I have no idea what to think since D seems like the second sentence is depended on the first :shock:

Hey aki, check this thread for a good explanation to Q.11. Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: A Dozen Tricky Sentence Correction Questions. [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 01:09
thanks macjas, it helped a lot. Kudos :)

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A Dozen Tricky Sentence Correction Questions. [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 09:14
A very good set of questions...Thank you very much
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: 1 A journalist recently noted that the Stanford Linear [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 17:00
Q7. The criminologist reported that it is not uncommon for violent criminals to subject a victim to humiliations similar to those THAT they experienced as children. Why does “that” rather than “who” modify “those”?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: 1 A journalist recently noted that the Stanford Linear [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 22:08
gjg wrote:
Q7. The criminologist reported that it is not uncommon for violent criminals to subject a victim to humiliations similar to those THAT they experienced as children. Why does “that” rather than “who” modify “those”?

hi there...THAT is not really modifying "those"; rather, it is introducing an essential piece of information. - "they (the criminals) experienced as children". We need to use "that" as opposed to say, "which" because we need this additional information to define what type of humiliations the author is talking about.

To make things a little more clear, those refers to "humiliations" and as such, we need "those" because using "who" to refer to "humiliations" would be illogical.

Search the forums for "that vs which" and you will find some very good threads on this topic. Good luck!

Also see a discussion on this question HERE
Director
Director
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 75

Re: 1 A journalist recently noted that the Stanford Linear [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 20:45
good work, i tried but could not do all correctly.
Keep posting.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Re: 1 A journalist recently noted that the Stanford Linear   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2012, 20:45