Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [2] , given: 0

1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:51) correct 45% (00:45) wrong based on 194 sessions
1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

A. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere
B. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere decimated
C. devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.
D. devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.
E. the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 30 Apr 2014, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
added the OA
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 07:14
This tough. A and E are the contenders according to me. Not very clear to what "that" refers to. I will simply go with the rule that "that" modifies what ever is closer to it. In this case A would be correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 07:25
A is the best.

E has a subject-verb agreement problem.
"the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have .."

Progress here in singular and should have the singular verb "has" as shown in A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 11:01
ndidi204 wrote:
A is the best.

Progress here in singular and should have the singular verb "has" as shown in A.

Can you explain how "progress" can possibly decimate? May be devastation and enslavement "have" decimated?
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [1] , given: 781

Re: SC-1 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
marine wrote:
1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify <<devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.>>

A. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere
B. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere decimated
C. devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.
D. devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.
E. the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

Marine, can you tell us the source of this SC?

IMO, the best answer is E.

1. Devastation and enslavement is a compound subject...and needs "have" to agree with it.
2. Also, E resolves the issue of what "that" refers to with the plural verb have.

Sincerely
Praet
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
Well this sentence is as ambiguous as it can get.
From the meaning point of view E looks the best as progress cannot be desimated ( it sounds awkward )
The sentence would be very clear if it had following construction

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify in the name of progress the devastation and the enslavement that have decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

or

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify in the name of progress the devastation and the enslavement that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

It is hard to say whether "devastation and enslavement " is singular or
plural. It depends on how it is used. Both are acceptable. For this reason I stick to A.

Let us hear the OA.
6 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [6] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kpadma wrote:
Another vote for A

E is out because the devastation and enslavement is singular.
"The X and Y" is singular, whereas "the X and the Y" is plural.

For example,
The CEO and chairman is in the office today.
Means: one person holding both the positions. Thus, this sentence warrents singular verb.

On the other hand,
The CEO and the chairman are in the office today.
Means: there are two people in the office. Therefore, this sentence
warrents plural verb.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [1] , given: 781

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
kpadma wrote:
kpadma wrote:
Another vote for A

E is out because the devastation and enslavement is singular.
"The X and Y" is singular, whereas "the X and the Y" is plural.
For example,
The CEO and chairman is in the office today.
Means: one person holding both the positions. Thus, this sentence warrents singular verb.

On the other hand,
The CEO and the chairman are in the office today.
Means: there are two people in the office. Therefore, this sentence
warrents plural verb.

CEO and Chairman :) Interesting title.

I have questions.

1. Is Devastation and Enslavement .. the same?
2. In A, what does that refer to? Progress? or Anything else?

Regards
Praet
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 13:13
Well more I look into it more things come out.

Christopher Columbus has come to personify + object

I believe the corrected construction that I mentioned could be wrong because the above pice of the stem is a clause and nothing should be present in between the verb and the direct object.

The object I am talking about is basically a noun/collective noun/compound noun. In any case it should be refered to as a single entity ( singular )

I am not sure what "that" refers to here.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 13:32
Praetorian wrote:

CEO and Chairman :) Interesting title.

I have questions.

1. Is Devastation and Enslavement .. the same?
2. In A, what does that refer to? Progress? or Anything else?

Regards
Praet

Good Rubuttal! This is the only way by which we are going to learn!!

Is bread and butter the same?
But, we say "Bread and butter is my breakfast"?

I go with a simple rule as to what that refers to.
The nearest noun. But, I see your point. I've been looking
for material that clarifies this confusion. So far, none.

Anyway, let us wait for the official answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2004, 00:24
OA is not avlb
I got it from a yahoogroups Archive
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 26 [4] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2004, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
ndidi204 wrote:
A is the best.

NO. The "progress" did not do the decimating, the "devastion and enslavement" did.

Here is my 2-cents for whatever it is worth.

A. Wrong specifically because of subject-verb agreement. Also, I don't like the omission of the article "the" when refering to the "devastation..". IMO, Columbus personifies a particular period of incidents of devastation, not devastation and enslavement in general.

B. Wrong because it implies that the native people did the devastating.

C. Wordy and awkward. Also, IMO, the use of the gerund connotes that the devastation is ongoing or recent.

D. Same reason as C.

E. IMO, this is the best choice. First, it has good s-v agreement. (the Bread and butter argument is not relevant because item that are considered to be one entity are treated as singular ("bread and butter IS preferable to bacon and eggs for some dieters, though the latter IS surely more popular", "ham and eggs WAS his choice for breakfast", "black and white IS the favorite color scheme of Soho yuppies". This does NOT apply to "devastation and enslavement", e.g., "the devastion and enslavement were widespread" BTW, while "bread and butter is my breakfast" sounds awkward, "bread and butter are my breakfast" sounds worse. Of course, please take this with a grain of salt as my bread and butter IS not SC. 8-)

Finally, since Columbus personifies a particular devastion and enslavement, I think the use of the definite article "the" is appropriate if not mandatory here.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Last edited by AkamaiBrah on 06 May 2004, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2004, 02:09
"that" here refers to "devastation and enslavement", because "progress" can not decimate(to reduce drastically especially in number) people (Doesn't make any sense).

So (E) is the best choice with proper subject verb agreement.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 234

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: 1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 00:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Re: 1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 17:39
bump.

this annoying question is on the gmat exam pack 1. The OA is E.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.73
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: 1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 11:53
OA is (E). This is a GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: 1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 00:06
Quite tough, but this just underscores "that" can modify whatever makes "logical sense".
Intern
Intern

Re: 1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 08:40
marine wrote:
1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

I had this question in my practice test, the right answer is "E".
I missed this one. The trick is that "devastation and enslavement...have decimated", while "A" fails to use the verb in the plural.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 14:30
marine wrote:

In accordance with some of the guys who posted above. We need have for the compound subject so the answer is clearly E

Nough said...
Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: 1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 01:56
Although the answer is E since it is the only one that is meaningful, this question cannot be a real GMAT question for the reason that "devastation and eslavement" cannot decimate people. Conquerors can decimate people as a result of devastation and eslavement. Moreover are missing commas: ,in the name of progress,.
Re: 1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has   [#permalink] 21 May 2014, 01:56