Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1. If charles had spent half as much time attending his

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1. If charles had spent half as much time attending his [#permalink] New post 11 May 2004, 18:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
1. If charles had spent half as much time attending his classes as he did complaining about them, he would have been a good student.

A....
B.had spent half as much time to attend his classes as he did to complain
C.were to spend half as much time attending his classes as he does complaining
D.were to spend half as much time attending his classes as complaining
E.should spend half as much time attending his clasees as to complain

2.Unlike their counterparts in other western democracies, the american labor movement has never embraced revolutionary ideologies calling for the ultimate trasformation of the economic order.

A...
B.unlike that of their counterparts in other western democracies , the american labor movement has never
C.unlike its conterpart in other western democracies, the american labor movement never have
D.unlike that of its counterparts in other western democracies, the american labor movement never has
E.unlike its counterpart in other western democracies, the american labor movement has never

3.Many of the them chiseled from solid rocks centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hunderds of monasteries.

A...
B.chiseled from solid rocks centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hunderds of monasteries
C.hunderd of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia
D.the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago
E.the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago

Answers will follow...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

Re: SC: 3 questions [#permalink] New post 11 May 2004, 21:32
Aonie, i am worried about SC #2 .either there were typos or the SC
is just poor quality. ETS wont test minor things like "never has" vs. "has never".

Quote:
1. If charles had spent half as much time attending his classes as he did complaining about them, he would have been a good student.

A....

IMO , its C. The mood is subjunctive. the author is talking about a hypothetical situation. the correct verb to express that subjunctive modd is "were". Out of C and D, C is correct. In D, the comparison is not clear and is incorrect.

Quote:
2.Unlike their counterparts in other western democracies, the american labor movement has never embraced revolutionary ideologies calling for the ultimate trasformation of the economic order.
A...
B.unlike that of their counterparts in other western democracies , the american labor movement has never
C.unlike its conterpart in other western democracies, the american labor movement never have
D.unlike that of its counterparts in other western democracies, the american labor movement never has
E.unlike its counterpart in other western democracies, the american labor movement has never

the american labor movement - singular ,collective noun ..we need "its" as pronoun and "has" as verb

IMO, the answer is E.

Quote:
3.Many of the them chiseled from solid rocks centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hunderds of monasteries.

A...
B. Chiseled from solid rocks centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hunderds of monasteries
C. Hunderd of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia
D. The mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago
E. The mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago

Answers will follow...

I remember asking an English prof this question. i wish i could go back and look.

IMO, its C.

A... run on sentence
B... incorrect modifier... the mountainous regions are not chiseled, the monasteries are.
D...."which" has no logical referent. even though some may argue that "which" refers to closest noun, C is more direct , in its reference.
E. again, here , "them" has no clear referent

C clearly uses " them" to refer to "hundreds of monasteries".

I hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 May 2004, 09:51
Praet: I'm not sure that 'C' is right for Q3. (But again i just started this SC thing :-) )

"The monastries are dotting" seems incorrect because monastries can't dot .... perhaps we need the passive construction here which shows that some else did the dotting ?

I'd go with E since the main clause is passive. E ) is preferrrable to D) (sentence is passive so pronoun must be objective case)

As for the referrent problem of E) the modifier is closest to the noun monastries.

There are some reasons i don't like E) (for eg main clause is passive, an absolute phrase is used as a modifier of a specific noun) but it seems the best of the lot ??

Comments?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2004, 10:43
1-A
I guess the underlined part should start with had...as the sentence says
'would have been'

2-E

3-C

Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: 3 questions [#permalink] New post 12 May 2004, 13:41
1. C
2. E
3. C - them seems to be ambiguous in E. I guess C has a typo, it shud be hundreds instead of hundred
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 May 2004, 04:28
anandk and mba...you're 2/3 right....OAs are: A,B,E

btw, since you guys post the most correct answers, can you explain your reasoning behind them?

I think answer E for #2 cannot be right because:

E.unlike its counterpart in other western democracies, the american labor movement has never...

counterpart is not equal american labor MOVEMENT

but if it says counterpart = american labor (party) than it will be correct.

So we need " that of" and B/D uses it. My only concern is, I think the answer should be D instead of B, because D uses "that of its counterparts", and its here refer to american labor (singular).

What do you think?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2004, 11:44
SC - 2 is horrible ( all the choices ) I thought E is the best and had a typo.
First of all the sentence is talking about the American Labor movement and similar movement in other countries. So these labor movements become counterparts of American labor movement. ( I hope u agree )

So to maintain the paralellism the sentence should say

Unlike the its( American Labor Movement's ) counterparts ( other labor movements ) in other countries, the American Labor Movement has never embraced revolutionary ideologies calling for the ultimate
trasformation of the economic order.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2004, 12:01
I forgot to add my explanation for 1) and 2)

1) is testing subjunctive mood. To descrive a hypothetical situation we use "were" and to describe the outcome by changing a event that has already happened we use "had"
Whatever charles did he already did and there is no hypothetical situation here. What he did is a reality. To change what he did and expect a different outcome we should use "had"

A) The mountaneous regions are not chiseled but the monesteries are
B) has the same problem as A)
C) The tense usage is incorrect here. The monesteries were chiseled centries ago and dotted the mountaneous regions even then

D) many of which were (not "are" ) chiseled.
I dont know whether "many of them" is preferable to "many of which"

E) "many of them" is closest ot monesteries and can be assumed to modify monesteries. Tense usage is correct here because it is still true that the mountaneous regions are dotted with monesteries.
Intern
Intern

#2 is legit [#permalink] New post 13 May 2004, 16:50
#2 is legit. I actually saw this question two days ago in a GMAT study book. Just an FYI.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

Re: #2 is legit [#permalink] New post 13 May 2004, 19:59
jrustin wrote:
#2 is legit. I actually saw this question two days ago in a GMAT study book. Just an FYI.

Its legit only because its set up that way. and the only good answer is E.
what GMAT study book is it? does it have an explanation?

Ok, time for Akamaibrah to step in. hold on guys.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 May 2004, 20:49
Nope...no explanation...just plain answers (that can be wrong!)

but they're good qs to practice. it's better to make mistakes here than in the actual test.

the OA as I said earlier is A, B, E....

Actually Qs 2 and 3 need further explaining (well, we dont mind if Q1 is explained again)....I hope Akamaibrah can help...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2004, 14:42
Quote:

A....

It is Conditional Type 2. Because it uses 'he would have been a good student.' It must be either A or B. A is more precise. But why B is wrong i don't know.

Quote:

A...

It can't be B. Because :

unlike that of their counterparts in other western democracies is not equal
the american labor movement

This question probably has a typo. In Choice E. unlike its counterparts

Quote:

A...
B.chiseled from solid rocks centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hunderds of monasteries
C.hunderd of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia
D.the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago
E.the mountainous regions of northern ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago

This Question is wrong. Probably it has a typo in choice D. Let's Show :

A,B Wrong because The chiseled ones are monestries. Not mountain regions.

C. Run-on sentence. It must be many of which. Also They aren't dotting.

D. This choice is grammatically right except 'are'. I think this is typo. (IT is a GMAT+ question) it must be 'were'

E. Run-on sentence too.

About Run-on structure in q3 here is an Erin answer :

Quote:
I'd like to point out a very important grammar rule: we must have a conjunction to join two sentences. Thus, if we choose A, using "many of them," we have no conjunction to join the two main sentences.

This is a commonly tested pattern, both on the GMAT and on the TOEFL. Look at this example of a mistake:

I saw two movies this weekend, both of them were good.

On first listen, this sounds correct, but it's not, for reasons that may seem at first hard to explain. However, if we realize that we have two sentences, "I saw two movies this weekend" and "both of them were good," then we'll also realize that we must have a conjunction between them to join them (the basic rule of conjunctions and parallel structure).

The classic corrections (in descending order of likeliness of appearing as correct answers) are:

- I saw two movies this weekend; both of them were good. (joining two sentences with a semi-colon)
- I saw two movies this weekend, both of which were good. (using a relative pronoun (aka subordinating conjunction) to join two sentences)
- I saw two movies this weekend, and both of them were good. (using a coordinating conjunction to join two sentences)

Erin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2004, 14:51
erman_k wrote:

E. Run-on sentence too.

About Run-on structure in q3 here is an Erin answer :

Quote:
I'd like to point out a very important grammar rule: we must have a conjunction to join two sentences. Thus, if we choose A, using "many of them," we have no conjunction to join the two main sentences.

This is a commonly tested pattern, both on the GMAT and on the TOEFL. Look at this example of a mistake:

I saw two movies this weekend, both of them were good.

On first listen, this sounds correct, but it's not, for reasons that may seem at first hard to explain. However, if we realize that we have two sentences, "I saw two movies this weekend" and "both of them were good," then we'll also realize that we must have a conjunction between them to join them (the basic rule of conjunctions and parallel structure).

The classic corrections (in descending order of likeliness of appearing as correct answers) are:

- I saw two movies this weekend; both of them were good. (joining two sentences with a semi-colon)
- I saw two movies this weekend, both of which were good. (using a relative pronoun (aka subordinating conjunction) to join two sentences)
- I saw two movies this weekend, and both of them were good. (using a coordinating conjunction to join two sentences)

Erin

"many of them chiseled ... " is not an independent clause to necessitate the use of conjunction, leave alone run-on sentence:)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2004, 14:27
sorry. i didn't see that there is not any were there. You right .E is totally correct.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 May 2004, 03:59

A....

A IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.
THE MAIN CLUASE IS 'HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD STUDENT'. SO IN THE 'IF CLAUSE' THE VERB SHOULD BE IN THE PAST PERFECT. SO C AND D ARE OUT.
SECONDLY, 'SPEND TIME' SHOULD BE FOLLOWED BY THE '..ING' FORM AND NOT BY THE INFINITIVE (TO ATTEND). SO B IS OUT.

E IS OUT BECAUSE SHOULD SPEND IS OUT OF PLACE.

A...

E IS CORRECT.
THE SUBJECT IS 'THE AMERICAN LABOR MOVEMENT'AND SO,THE OPTIONS WITH 'THEIR COUNTERPARTS' ARE RULED OUT.
D IS OUT BECAUSE 'THAT OF ITS COUNTERPART' HAS NO REFERRENT.
C IS OUT BECAUSE OF'MOVEMENT NEVER HAVE'

A...

A IS OUT BECAUSE MOUNTAINS ARE NOT CHISELLED OUT OF ROCKS
SAME IS THE CASE WITH B.
BECAUSE OF 'ARE DOTTING'('DOT' PRESENT SIMPLE FOR THINGS EVER PRESENT), C IS OUT.
'ARE CHISELLED .. CENTURIES AGO' IS WRONG. SO C IS OUT.
E IS CORRECT AS IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE & IS STRUCTURALLY SOUND.
  [#permalink] 23 May 2004, 03:59