Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1) In the Unites States, more than half of all the arrests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1) In the Unites States, more than half of all the arrests [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 11:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:30) correct 67% (01:11) wrong based on 2 sessions
1) In the Unites States, more than half of all the arrests for serious crimes against property are of 20 years old or younger.
A) of 20 year olds or younger.
B) 20 Years old or younger.
C) of persons 20 years old or younger.
D) persons 20 years old or less
E) 20 years or less.
OA -C

Through this question, I wanted to discuss the use of "less".
I feel that we can use "less" in such sentences as "persons aged 20 years or less" or "persons of age 20 years or less" because "or" is providing an alternate numeric quantity by using "OR".
In this question OA is C because it uses or to provide and alternate(choice) between persons and not the numeric quantity.
Please let me know whether my line of thinking is correct.
Views of fellow moderators and forum members are welcome.

2) In London that afforded its playwrights only two theaters, Alpha Behn, by 1687, had had 17 of her plays staged in as many years.
A) In London that afforded its playwrights only two theaters.
B) In a London that afforded its playwrights only two theaters.
C) Even though London's playwrights only were afforded two theaters.
D) only two theaters were afforded by London to its play rights, and.
E) Two theaters only were afforded by London to its play rights, and.
OA-B

According to me the Answer should be A) but the OA is B. I couldn't understand the use of "a London" in option B.

3)The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration have been corrected, according to the firm of consulting engineers.
A) The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration.
B) The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure, leading to its deterioration.
C) leading to its deterioration, the Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure.
D) The defects that the Statue of Liberty had in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration.
E) The defects in the supporting structure of the Statue of Liberty which led to its deterioration.
OA-E

I narrowed down to D and E.
Although I am confused over both D and E because they are not using "that" and "which" as per GMAT rules that mandate that Relative Pronouns that/which refer the closest pronoun, I chose D over E because I thought that in option E "which" without a comma preceding is not the correct usage.Moreover, I think that in option D "that" can qualify noun "supporting structure" and "its" clearly refers to The Statue of Liberty(Subject of the sentence).
I am totally puzzled.Please help me getting the logic right.

Last edited by gagan_g2k on 05 Feb 2009, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Re: Tricky SC Questions from GMAT June'94 PaperTests [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 11:54
Please do not post OA immediately with question.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: Tricky SC Questions from GMAT June'94 PaperTests [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:08
Please do not post OA with question
Please post one question at a time
Please underline the part that need to be discussed.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Re: Tricky SC Questions from GMAT June'94 PaperTests   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2009, 12:08