Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 month to get 700 - need advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1 month to get 700 - need advice [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 18:31
Haven't taken my GMAT exam yet but my practice scores have been worrying me and reschedule the exam for next month

So far my prac test scores have been hovering between 630- 660 (2 MGMAT + 2 Official) with V35 Q42

I've kept an error log, main weakness in SC in Verbal (RC + CR is pretty much solid) and just making careless mistake in Quant (miss writing #s, reading q's too fast, getting bog down on hard q's instead of moving on)

Books I have gone through
OG 12 + Quant + Verbal (done)
MGMAT books (done)
Kaplan (partiailly)

So my question is what should I be doing to improve my score? I don't find the MGMAT SC book to be too helpful, keep getting bogged down by the rules and little exceptions (I'm a English native speaker and I typically go through SC questions by what "sounds" correct). Any other suggestion for a SC book thats can explain in a different way? Any tips in helping me making less careless mistake in quant? I feel being time constraint puts pressure on me and leads to these mistakes (still haven't gotten a feel for whether I'm taking too long on a quant question)

Thanks all
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 136

Re: 1 month to get 700 - need advice [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 22:31
Dear Mefolk17,
I am still a rookie in this community. But, is was really tempting to reply to your post.
Many members of this community finds PowerScore SC as helpful as MGMAT's SC. You may give a try.
To me, comparatively, your verbal score looks better. As the test date is coming closer, try to reinforce your strength, and find out what is your weakness. Your error log will do most of this job (and, it's what error logs are supposed to do!).
I think, if you take all other MGMAT practice tests (I guess, 4 are left. Right?), your score will find an unshaky base and will move close to higher 600s. Usually, the score you get in MGMAT tests represent your +/- 10% ability to score in the actual GMAT.
Good luck with your GMAT!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 1 month to get 700 - need advice [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 04:08
thx for the tip, will definetly keep working hard
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 1 month to get 700 - need advice [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 02:25
There a lot of room for improvement in both Quant and Verbal

Quant - Practise more GMAT problems from Quantitative Review and OG's 11 or even 10. Then move to higher level problems with Kaplan 800 or GMATclub tests. Its the final push, so give it your best shot!

Verbal - Practise from GMAT Verbal Review - official GMAT problems. For SC try Aristotle SC Grail - I've heard its great. and its affordable too $15. I guess worth a shot.

Don't give up. You will definitely kick some hard GMAT a$$

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Re: 1 month to get 700 - need advice   [#permalink] 15 May 2011, 02:25