Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 12:18
I have 1 month to go before I write the official exam. I am looking to get into the 700's in less than a month. I am willing to dedicate around 5 hours a day, each weekday and 8+ hours, each weekend day.

** Update: I have decided to postpone my exam 1 month, I wasn't close to 700 when I was 2 weeks out.

My attack plan is as follows:

Quant:
Solidify concepts:
*Manhattan Equations, Ineq. and VICs Book;
*OG 11 & 12 guides; and
*Flash cards (BeattheGmat, Mine);

Practice:
*GMATClub Tests;
*OG 11 & 12 guides;
*CAT - Wrong Answers; and
*GMATClub Forum Questions.

Verbal:
Solidify concepts:
*Manhattan SC - Review Wrong Questions;
*Manhattan CR;
*Sahil's and Spidey's grammer notes;
*Flash cards (BeattheGmat, Mine);
*GMAT Grammer Blog (http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/)

Practice:
*OG 11 & 12 Guides - Review Wrong Questions;
*CAT - Wrong Answers;
*1000 SC Questions;
*1000 RC Questions;
*1000 CR Questions; and
*GMATClub Forum Questions.

AWA:
*Write a few AWA essays using Chineseburned's AWA Guide.

My progress:
GMATPrep 1: 440 Q25/V25 (Didn't finish answer all, missed 34 of the questions due to time)
GMATPrep 2: 590 Q38/V34; Wrongs: 7SC, 3CR, 4RC (Answered all, 10 mins left in Q, 1 mins left in Verbal)
PowerPrep 1: 570 Q39/V30; Wrongs: 7SC, 5CR, 3RC (Answered all, 2 mins left in Q, 2 mins left in Verbal)
GMATPrep 1: 610 Q42/V32; Wrongs: 8SC, 1CR, 4RC (Answered all, didn't feel rushed, ended with perfect time)
*** Only 2 weeks till exam so I postponed another month.
MGMAT 1: 630 Q43/V33; Wrongs: 7SC, 5CR, 7RC (Didn't answer all, missed 4 Q questions, rushed on 4 before that. V ended perfectly)
MGMAT 2: 640 Q43/V34; Wrongs: 6SC, 9CR, 4RC (Answered all, perfect timing on Q, 6 mins left in Verbal)
*** 4 weeks until exam
MGMAT 3: 630 Q45/V32; Wrongs: 7SC, 4CR, 7RC (Answered all, perfect timing on Q and V)
MGMAT 4: 640 Q42/35; Wrongs: 7SC, 5CR, 4RC (Answered all, rushed on last Q question, had 5 mins left on V)
*** 3 weeks until exam
MGMAT 5: 580 Q40/V31; Wrongs: 7SC, 5CR, 7RC (Answered all, perfect timing on Q and V) <-- what happened!?
MGMAT 6: 630 Q44/V32; Wrongs: 6SC, 8CR, 4RC (Answered all, perfect timing on Q and V)

Last edited by I3igDmsu on 28 Jul 2009, 10:08, edited 27 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 13:09
It's tough, I don't want to kidd you on this... It is possible definitely, my experience and experience of other Gclubbers testify it is possible to enter 700+ club from initial high 500s. But it requires much more time, certainly more than 1 month. It took me 5 months of pretty dedicated work to make 110 points improvement - exactly what you need. Do you need 5 months? According to your score split - probably. Could it be done in less time, in a month? I doubt, but I hate someone tells me it can't be done. Try.

Just be carefull not to fry your brain with 50+ hours of study per week. :) That's an ambitious plan.

You don't have nothing to lose, except $250. I supose you need GMAT in a month for application to INSEAD or Columbia, or some other school with January intake. Maybe I'm missing IMD somewhere, but that doesn't matter. What is the worst that can happen? To take exam and fail? Big deal. If that happens, simply sit and learn for onother 4-5 months. With your Gprep score and that kind of dedication (but with less hours of study per day, probably 2) you are likely to experience 100+ score improvement just in time for R2 next year.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 13:16
Expert's post
Agree with Pathfinder_77 - quite aggressive. Doable but aggressive.

You have quite a potpourri of materials and that will be shooting in all directions. That depends on your style - if you prefer fast change/pace and 5 minute study sessions vs. 30 minute ones, then yes. If you are a methodical person - in that case it is best to get some books to get going and let experts show you the path.
Usually the must haves are the Manhattan SC/PowerScore SC and Manhattan CR/PowerScore CR

You may want to look into the Powerscore Verbal Bible as it is a shorter book and covers less material though still comprehensive. I would start your study with books and not flashcards/questions. Instead use those to check to make sure your foundation is solid.

Definitely start taking full length (including AWA) at least 2 weeks before the test date.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 13:33
Thanks for the replies. I have been reviewing since February on a pretty regular schedule so hopefully that will help. I have many of the concepts and problem types down, I am just focusing on speed and accuracy now.

Are my materials a little broad? Should I use more focus with limited time to go? I feel that I can get most of the concepts down from the OG and Manhattan SC, feel free to tell me otherwise.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 13:50
Your study material is a bit broad, but maybe it's your learning style. However, you should discard Economist - there is not enough time for that, and even in the long run they aren't of much help. Instead, get LSAT readings from RC1000 series and practice reading with them. I don't like Brutal SC, tried it but never really saw the point there. Other material on your list is a top notch, no doubt about it.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 14:00
Expert's post
The time you have is not enough to hit everything, so you should focus on the areas where you can improve the most and where you will have the best ROI.

My feeling is that your Quant score is still low to rely solely on Test Questions to beef up your score but with a limited time I am not sure what will be the best investment. Perhaps Manhattan Number Properties guide or indeed some formula sheets

For quant, most people have CR and RC as the hardest. RC is very hard to tame in a short amount of time.

You need to review your GMATPrep test and figure out which questions you missed the most and where you weaknesses lie. Also, figure out what are the easiest areas to improve.

Finally - see this post for some suggestions: 600-to-700-in-3-weeks-strategy-tips-please-79141.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Manager
Manager

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 19:48
I have edited my original post after some of your comments to get to a more manageable list of things to do in the last month. My weakest verbal areas are SC and then RC, according to the GMATPrep test I took. I have listed the materials above in order of importance. Is it better to start at the bottom of the list and move toward the top (as I may retain more closest to the test date - which is where the most important materials will be)?

Any other comments on things I may want to change or rearrange? Does anyone else disagree with using the Brutal SC questions? If so, what other questions should I use to practice SC, or are the OG and GMATClub Forums sufficient?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 22:13
Expert's post
You are armed to the teeth with questions - I don't think you are lacking anything or can make a wrong choice.

If you are not a native speaker - take a look at Kaplan Verbal Foundations (read my review on Amazon) - it has been published about a week ago - I was pleasantly surprised with the grammar covered in it and I would say it is one of the best GMAT grammar books for international students (of course if you have a different opinion - would great to hear it here).
That book has plenty of exercises, but if your level is advanced, then you may go through in a few hours

There is also this document - which is for OG 11th edition or 10th (not 12th which is the current) but if you have that book, it would be helpful to do target practice rather than dispersed. topical-and-difficulty-guide-to-the-official-guide-79500.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 16:22
I have 3 weeks left till the postponed exam. Can someone please critique my plan to get to the 700s from 640? The materials and my progress so far are in the first post. Thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 22:04
Expert's post
I3igDmsu wrote:
I have 3 weeks left till the postponed exam. Can someone please critique my plan to get to the 700s from 640? The materials and my progress so far are in the first post. Thanks.

Didn't we do that already? What has changed since? I can't see anything new in your original post.... :?
Can you be more specific perhaps?

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 06:16
I wasnt sure if improving from 590 to 640 was different than 640 to 700. I changed a few of the materials from last time (I added OG12; Equations, Ineq & VICs book; 1000SC; and MGMAT CR book. I took out MGMAT flashcards and Brutal SC.)

My 3 week plan is to finish both the E,Q,VICs and CR books in the next 1.5 weeks and then do timed practice questions everyday in sets of 37 & 41 for the 1.5 weeks, as well as going over my wrong answers on OG's and CATS. I will also be doing 4 more full practice exams (2 per weekend). Is this a good plan? Thoughts?

Looking at my CAT breakdowns, should I focus more time on V than Q for these last few weeks?
Manager
Manager

Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 10:15
Well my last few test scores have been consistent nonetheless around 630 to 640 (well except for the 580 - not sure what happened here). I have two weeks until I sit for the test. My target is 700 which seems far away, I feel like I haven't improved much over the last few weeks and my test follows the same logic. Over the last 3 weeks I have been doing practice problems and went over the MGMAT VICs book and MGMAT CR book. These last 2 weeks are crucial for me to improve. I am thinking I should do practice sets of 37 & 41 Q's everyday, 2 more CATs, and go over wrong answers.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Should I focus more on Q or V, given the breakdowns above?
I am a native speaker also and hopefully reviewing the MGMAT CR book in the last few days will help me improve in that area.
Re: 1 Month to Go - Need 110+ Point Improvement!   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2009, 10:15