Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1) Oberlin College in Ohio was a renegade institution at its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
1) Oberlin College in Ohio was a renegade institution at its [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 13:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:06) wrong based on 1 sessions
(1) Oberlin College in Ohio was a renegade institution at its 1833 founding for deciding to accept both men and women as students

A) at its 1833 founding for deciding to accept
B) for the decision at its 1833 founding to accept
C) when it was founded in 1833 for its decision to accept
D) in deciding at its founding in 1833 to accept
E) by deciding at its fouding in 1833 on the acceptance of

(2) As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

A.As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
B.As the heavily barbed singer of the honey bee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
C.The honeybee's stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
D.The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
E.The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

(3) By the time peace and happiness will have come to the planet,many lives will be wasted.

A. will have come to the planet,many lives will be wasted.
B. come to the planet, many lives will have been wasted
C. will have come to the planet, many lives will have been wasted
D. shall have come to the planet, many lives shall be wasted
E. would have come to the planet, many lives would have been wasted

(4) New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high-yielding varieties.

(A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high-yielding varieties
(B) requirements by earlier high-yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation
(C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high-yielding varieties
(D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high-yielding varieties
(E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high-yielding varieties

(5) Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

OA :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
1 D
2 E
3 B
4 E
5 D

Nanquam Fractum

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Another set of tricky SC questions [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 15:45
Could you please explain the answers for Q) 1 & Q)5 ?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another set of tricky SC questions [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:51
@ Thabk: for (1) check methevoid reasoning. On another note, all of the other choices change the meaning
(5), A, B and E are not parallel (not only did.......but it also..) in the second part Aux verb is missing. In these structures you have to make them both the same. Furthermore, "which" is a problem in B.
C the first part of the sentnece is not complete; it's not a whole clause.
D: according to BOB(800 scorer and great guy) "Not only generally calls for But Also", but "But Also" doesn't necessarily calls for Not Only.

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another set of tricky SC questions [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 05:25
(3) By the time peace and happiness will have come to the planet,many lives will be wasted.

E. would have come to the planet, many lives would have been wasted Perfect use of subjunctive, to show a probablity in future

The subjunctive you are referring to is wrong in this context. On another note, the author assume that this is factual and that this assumption could actually happen. If it were something hypothetical, you would use past perfect for the first half and [highlight]future perfect(substitute "will" for "would")[/highlight] for the other half.
In this question, we need present tense in the first half. With "by the time", "when", "before" we use present tense with a future meeting.For the second half, we use future perfect or future tense. Notice the following examples
BY the time I get home, I will clean my shoes.
the future perfect indicates that action started in the past from a future point of view and completed before the other action. I.E., I will have walked six miles by the time I get home.
For further info in this usage check http://esl.about.com/od/grammarstructures/a/fperf.htm

Nanquam Fractum

Last edited by elevinty on 08 Oct 2010, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: Another set of tricky SC questions [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 05:39
hey thnx dat was kool, infact I did one such same mistake in MGMAT CAT.
I checked the Link,infact I referred the same link yesterday on this forum to somebody for Adverbial Clauses.

Thnx for reminding, its good for other topics too.

elevinty wrote:

E. would have come to the planet, many lives would have been wasted Perfect use of subjunctive, to show a probablity in future

The subjunctive you are referring to is wrong in this context. On another note, the author assume that this is factual and that this assumption could actually happen. If it were something hypothetical, you would use past perfect for the first half and present perfect for the other half.
In this question, we need present tense in the first half. With "by the time", "when", "before" we use present tense with a future meeting.For the second half, we use future perfect or future tense. Notice the following examples
BY the time I get home, I will clean my shoes.
the future perfect indicates that action started in the past from a future point of view and completed before the other action. I.E., I will have walked six miles by the time I get home.
For further info in this usage check http://esl.about.com/od/grammarstructures/a/fperf.htm

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Another set of tricky SC questions [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 08:43
(A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high-yielding varieties
(B) requirements by earlier high-yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation
(C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high-yielding varieties
(D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high-yielding varieties
(E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high-yielding varieties- correct. concise and clear meaning
Re: Another set of tricky SC questions   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2011, 08:43