Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 Week away and freaking out

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 13:13
So...I am freaking out about my recent GMATPrept Test II score because I expected to hit 700 and was still at 660. I know there were 2-3 Quant questions that I didn't read carefully enough and realized that I had clicked the misleading answer as soon as I clicked "Confirm" (doh!). And I sort of lost focus during one of the long Critical Reading sections and felt rushed with the remaining questions (I usually have 10-15 minutes of spare time on the Verbal, but this time I had 2 mins left).

I've just browsed about 10 different threads about how to improve your score and downloaded at least half a dozen guides and questions, but I am still unsure of whether I can really pass the 700 mark on the real day.

I'm thinking of devoting the next 6 days to studying the topics that my MGMAT CAT tests have indicated to be my weakest. The schedule will be as follows:

Day 1: Quant review of weak topics. Do problems from the OG in these topics with a timer.
Day 2: Go back to MGMAT CATs and re-do all the quant sections
Day 3: Critical Reasoning review. ***I've already completed the OG questions. What else can I practice with???***
Day 4: Finish the Reading Comprehension in the OG, while continuing to reread the MGMAT SC Guide
Day 5: Complete the SC questions that I've downloaded and use the error log. Review idioms
Day 6: Take the PowePrep CAT

Is it a good idea to take another CAT during the last week? I don't want to psych myself out in case I get a bad score...but I think I should still practice the timing of the test.

I still can reset my MGMAT CATs and retake them daily. Is that a good idea??

HELP!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Re: 1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 17:49
First of all, don't worry about the practice test scores, because 660 is a good score and since you have realized your mistakes you'll be just fine on the test day. Secondly, please don't take any more practice tests, they'll only psyche you out. Your plan looks good, a bit aggressive though. Don't study much a day before the exam. Just revisit some idioms and formulae and relax. Most people don't do well on the test because they are either physically or mentally tired. So be fresh on the exam day! You'll be fine! As far as more CR questions are concerned, you'll find a lot of them on Gmat Club itself, also you can use the GMAT Verbal review. Good luck!

Kudos are motivating! :)

Intern
Intern

Re: 1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 17:57
Thanks so much!! :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: 1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 13:06
I've decided to tone down the actual problem-doing and instead focus on reviewing.

So over the past few days, I've reviewed the Quant sections of the 6 MGMAT CATs that I took. I had already put the problems I got wrong onto note cards, but I looked at the Assessment reports to see if there were any types of questions I missed more frequently to find those specific notecards to review.

Since some of my college classes allowed us to have a "crib sheet" for the exam, I decided to make one for the GMAT! I'm using the front & back side of an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper to write down the steps for the types of problems I find to be most difficult, or frequently occurring problems.

I also made a crib sheet for Sentence Correction--with some random grammar rules that always trip me up and a checklist of what I should be looking for in SC (Subject Verb agreement, parallelism etc.). One section of this crib sheet also has some idioms that I frequently miss.

I'm feeling more confident now that I've done these things. And I took an untimed practice test yesterday and got a 720 (Q47 & V41)! Although I did time myself on my phone to see how long it took me to complete each section, when I was under the impression that I was doing it at a leisurely pace. I got a lot more verbal questions right than I normally do, simply because I was more calm and didn't think about the time. Same goes for math--I tend to do horribly when I time myself with 2 minutes per question.

Feeling more confident and relaxed, I am ready to take on the GMAT this Saturday!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: 1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 13:22
Expert's post
Hi amunster13, it's not surprising that you do better when relaxed, half the difficulty of this exam is the stress of the timer ticking away. Remember that you don't have 2 minutes to solve each question, just 75 minutes to solve 37 questions. This means some will take you a minute and some will take three minutes. If you can stay composed on test day, you should hit the threshold you want. You're almost there, just sleep well the night before, do a little review, and try not to bring the crib sheet with you on test day!

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Re: 1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 13:27
Wow! You are doing so well! All the best for the exam and please do let me know how it goes. Just go there and conquer!!! 8-)

Kudos are motivating! :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 13:51
Hey, do let us know how it went once you are done with the test
ATB

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: 1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 13:44
So today was test day. Boy am I fried!

Unfortunately, I got a 650 (Q44 & V35)--which was slightly shocking because I don't EVER do that poorly on the Verbal section and I always have 15 minutes left over, but today during test day, I barely had any time left and felt rushed to complete the last 10 questions (which had a RC section "doh!").

I think my Quant score is about what I've been getting on the practice tests, but I thought it'd be better when I was focused during test day...unfortunately, it felt like the Quant section had A LOT more DS questions than usual :( And I tend to do more poorly on DS questions--and I know there were at least 2 questions that I selected the wrong answer, only to realize that I did so a second after clicking 'Next' (worst feeling ever).

I think for Verbal, I psyched myself out by re-reading the answers so many times for CR. I kept trying to compare 2 of the answers for SC & CR...and did not breeze through it as I normally do...

Any suggestions for next steps? I want to re-take the test again in maybe 3-6 months. Should I sign up for a prep course?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 1 Week away and freaking out [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 10:27
amunster13 wrote:
So today was test day. Boy am I fried!

Unfortunately, I got a 650 (Q44 & V35)--which was slightly shocking because I don't EVER do that poorly on the Verbal section and I always have 15 minutes left over, but today during test day, I barely had any time left and felt rushed to complete the last 10 questions (which had a RC section "doh!").

I think my Quant score is about what I've been getting on the practice tests, but I thought it'd be better when I was focused during test day...unfortunately, it felt like the Quant section had A LOT more DS questions than usual :( And I tend to do more poorly on DS questions--and I know there were at least 2 questions that I selected the wrong answer, only to realize that I did so a second after clicking 'Next' (worst feeling ever).

I think for Verbal, I psyched myself out by re-reading the answers so many times for CR. I kept trying to compare 2 of the answers for SC & CR...and did not breeze through it as I normally do...

Any suggestions for next steps? I want to re-take the test again in maybe 3-6 months. Should I sign up for a prep course?

I got the same Split and score !! But I don't have time of 3-6 months..I need to get 720+ in two months :(
Re: 1 Week away and freaking out   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2013, 10:27