Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:26

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 19:47
Hello,

My exam is a week away, and I noticed I've hit a road block and my scores won't improve anymore.

I did a few mgmat exams and GMATPrep v2 4 times. My quant has been VERY consistent, scoring 49 on the past couple of tests. However Verbal tends to goes from 34 to 41 (but 41 to 45 on 3 MGMAT tests).

Here is my problem, the school I'm applying to specifically said that I would need a 50+ on quant. But I really don't know what I can do to hit that. I tried to understand the result from my last GMATPrep test but the result didn't make too much sense. I got q49 - 11 wrongs, including 8 questions wrong in a row at the end of the test! I'm actually surprised that I still got 49. Can anyone explain this to me? On the other hand, I only got 41 in verbal with 7 wrong answers - 3 RC, 2 CR, and 2 SC. It would still be nice to bump up my verbal score as well since I notice verbal seems to make a big different in the overall score.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to get my quant to 50? My plan now is go go thru GMATPrep v1 and review the notes that I took. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 21:16
Hi, welcome to the club!

I understand that you have already hit the 700 bar on the GMAT, congratulations.
Look, verbal score of 41 and math score of 41 could be compared. Just look at the percetiles : V41 is 92% and Q50 - is 93%. Only 1% of test takers receive 46 and abive on verbal, whereas for Q 51 is equivalent score.
See my thread below.

As for 1 week left, it depends on how much time do you have, I would recommend you GMATCLUB Math Tests. http://gmatclub.com/tests/. This is considered the best practice for the Quantative part. People claimed that after this practice they scored 48+. See here results of testakers and correlation to Q score of the GMAT result-correlation-between-gmat-and-gmat-club-s-tests-30989.html

I would recommmend you to analyze your mistakes and to note why you gone wrong. Is it lack of concept or a careless mistake.

Q49 after 8 wrong at the end? this is fantastic! I think you score would have been 50 or even 51, had not you missed last questions.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: 1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 10:01
I did gmatprep test again and still got 49 on Q :( with 6 wrongs. It's frustrating...i wish it would just tell me what I need to work on to get pass 50. I'll keep working on the GMATClub math questions.

My last verbal score kinda sucked...only 38. I think i need some good practice questions i can go through during the last week. I've already done the OG questions...so the only things I can think of is redoing the MGMAT cat tests. However I'm not sure if the MGMAT verbal questions are too easy since I've been getting 41 to 46 in my last 4 MGMAT tests...but mostly <41 on gmat prep. This is strange since people on the forum seem to think that MGMAT verbal questions should be similar to real gmat questions.

Can any one suggest any verbal questions (maybe ~100) I can go through in a few days? I saw 1000SC/CR and I've heard mixed reviews about them.

thanks!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 10:18
Hi for verbal see LSAT tests, some people say they are harder than GMAT tests. With LSAT test you may practice RC and CR, there are no SC questions there.
for harder SC see our forum, search for 700 level questions.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 104

Re: 1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 00:28
Do 1000CR/SC. You can try a few LSAT essays but they are way too hard to comprehend. In GMAT the essays are not difficult to comprehend but the questions get tricky and so I don't recommend LSAT RCs.

Go for 1000SC and CR. Should be good. You can also find a list of all GMATPREP questions and run through those.

I am guessing you will get around 750 in GMAT ... which is damn good.
Intern
Intern

Re: 1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 05:31
Thanks I think I'll give 1000CR/SC a try. Do you know if they are arranged in level of difficulties? Yeah I agree with LSAT RCs, I gave up after reading the questions :p

I'll get 750 if I can get V up to 45. I think I'll be happy with V above 41. but I must get Q50+...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 10:19
i am getting consistently 48-50 in Quant, can someone refer me material for 50+ quant, without going through all the basic books and questions.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Re: 1 week left - need help with understanding gmat prep scores   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2012, 10:19