Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 week off from work to study for gmat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 05-24-2013
GPA: 3.77
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 21

1 week off from work to study for gmat [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Gmatclub,

I am taking a week off from work to concentrate on my preparation.
I have done SC CR and RC but have difficulties in SC and RC on the tests as I am not able to apply the techniques
and more often go with gut feeling , end up getting questions wrong.

For quant I am struggling with the DS questions, need some help there.

Also my last test I got 620 want to get it past 650 or 670 by the end of next week.
I am not able to do proper analysis of my prep tests.Please if anyone could suggest what the proper way of doing analysis after the test.

Coming week my prime aim is towrds my weaknesses SC DS RC
revise certain topics in CR and PS which I get wrong.
Go through the logs and see what mistakes I am making try to find a pattern there

Please suggest if i am missing out any thin.Sorry for the long post!!

Samvit
-Just getting started.

All Gmatclub Forum tags at one place
viewforumtags.php

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 66

Re: 1 week off from work to study for gmat [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 09:24
Expert's post
samvit wrote:
Hi Gmatclub,

I have done SC CR and RC but have difficulties in SC and RC on the tests as I am not able to apply the techniques

Also my last test I got 620 want to get it past 650 or 670 by the end of next week.
I am not able to do proper analysis of my prep tests.Please if anyone could suggest what the proper way of doing analysis after the test.

Go through the logs and see what mistakes I am making try to find a pattern there

Please suggest if i am missing out any thin.Sorry for the long topic!!

Samvit
-Just getting started.

Hi Samvit, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on these forums who want to help you out! The first thing is to determine what you've been doing so far. Have you been studying with the OG or any particular books? There are plenty of resources that can be recommended but the best place to start is to know what you've looked at so far. Please elaborate a little on your prep so far and I'm sure the pointers you get will be more detailed for your particular situation.

Also, it's interesting that you're getting ~620 by using your gut feelings and instincts. That's consistent with the GMAT tendency to start asking trickier questions at about the 70th-80th percentile that starts being difficult to figure out with just reason. At some point the exam starts using your strengths against you, so you'll need to prepare yourself for the traps that come back over and over (assumption questions, data sufficiency C-traps, etc). It's nothing that can't be overcome, but being aware of these traps will help you avoid them on test day.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 05-24-2013
GPA: 3.77
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

Re: 1 week off from work to study for gmat [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 09:51
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
samvit wrote:
Hi Gmatclub,

Please suggest if i am missing out any thin.Sorry for the long topic!!

Samvit
-Just getting started.

Hi Samvit, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on these forums who want to help you out! The first thing is to determine what you've been doing so far. Have you been studying with the OG or any particular books? There are plenty of resources that can be recommended but the best place to start is to know what you've looked at so far. Please elaborate a little on your prep so far and I'm sure the pointers you get will be more detailed for your particular situation.

Also, it's interesting that you're getting ~620 by using your gut feelings and instincts. That's consistent with the GMAT tendency to start asking trickier questions at about the 70th-80th percentile that starts being difficult to figure out with just reason. At some point the exam starts using your strengths against you, so you'll need to prepare yourself for the traps that come back over and over (assumption questions, data sufficiency C-traps, etc). It's nothing that can't be overcome, but being aware of these traps will help you avoid them on test day.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I started my preparation 2 months back and covered SC from manhattan SC, CR from the bible, and RC pretty much from the forums.I practised the questions from the OG12, and have finished the verbal section and PS section from there.I have kept logs of my answers and take aways from them, but never found time to review them.I have given two tests on gmatprep earlier software(without the IR) and have got 520 in the first and 620 in the second.
I have faced issues when the questions become trickier on SC and under times conditions screw up my RC passages.
When i say SC - When i see a question towards the end of the test, i am not able to follow a process which i generally when i practise without the timer.
RC-Anyhow i keep my patience in the first two, but on seeing passages when the time left is 10-12 min , i panic and guess.
CR-I am weak at finding the assumption questions, but am able to solve both strengthen/weaken questions.Also though i havent seen a boldface yet, when i practise -i get them wrong.
PS: Roots and Powers and negative numbers are a pain to me.
DS:Very difficult to say but i am still learning this as far as i am concerned:(

I have not been able to do proper analysis of my tests, i have seen how the MGMAT test analysis seems, and i can tell u i am no where close to that.
Next week i am concentrating on my weakness + timing issues, Please let me know if i should be concentrating on other stufs also.

Looking forward to your/experts view.

Samvit
-Just getting started

All Gmatclub Forum tags at one place
viewforumtags.php

Re: 1 week off from work to study for gmat   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 09:51