Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1-Year MBA Intensity

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

1-Year MBA Intensity [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 15:15
I was reading Insead's brochure and it emphasizes its work hard, play hard mentality.

So I was wondering, how intense is it really? How is it compared to 2-Year MBAs?

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1-Year MBA Intensity [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 13:07
Expert's post
Hi klughing,

Typically 1 year MBA programs leave candidates with the same knowledge base, so these programs will be more intense because of all of the information that is taught. However, as note, these programs are best for individuals who already have work experience and are not expecting to make strong career changes. With 1 year MBA programs, summer internships are typically not offered.

I hope this was of help.

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: 1-Year MBA Intensity [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 13:19
StacyBlackman wrote:
Hi klughing,

Typically 1 year MBA programs leave candidates with the same knowledge base, so these programs will be more intense because of all of the information that is taught. However, as note, these programs are best for individuals who already have work experience and are not expecting to make strong career changes. With 1 year MBA programs, summer internships are typically not offered.

I hope this was of help.

How important is that internship opportunity for changing careers? I know internship is not usually offered in 1-year programs but INSEAD does have the January intake that offers the chance to intern in the summer.

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1-Year MBA Intensity [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 09:30
Expert's post
Hi klughing,

Internship experience is invaluable because if you are interested in pursuing another industry, internships give you the unique opportunity to experience firsthand what the space is like. If you are at all curious, I recommend pursuing an internship.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 1-Year MBA Intensity [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 07:45
Aside from the exchange opportunities, why is this 1 year MBA stand out? I'm inquisitive because I haven't discovered about the MBA you mention (but i am not saying much, I don't know much about US MBAs).
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: 1-Year MBA Intensity [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 01:18
Klughing

The 1-year MBA is quite common in Europe and typically features the same number of core classes as a 2-year MBA, but students might take fewer electives, although the choice of electives might still be substantial. The workload is intense and as someone pointed out, a one-year MBA typically requires candidates to have some working experience.

Although one-year MBAs do not have the same structure that allows for a summer internship in the middle of the program, many students do take up internships. At Cambridge University, we have structured the program such that students can take an internship for the last two months of their year with us.

DM me if you would like more information about the Cambridge MBA. Kind regards

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 1-Year MBA Intensity [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 06:51
An internship is pretty much mandatory if you are a career changer. This actually fits in with what was said, that 1 yr programs are typically for people with some (large) work experience and who want to continue in their industry.

In fact, many 1 yr programs have now started incorporating internship in their format.

Good Luck!

Color Me One MBA Admission Consulting
Brand Your MBA Application
www.colormeone.com
Contact us for a free essay evaluation!
Re: 1-Year MBA Intensity   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2011, 06:51