Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1 year program - please suggest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

1 year program - please suggest [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 08:18
Hi,
I am M/32/India and has 11 years work-ex in education management. Have been handling online education business on my own in the company from the last 6 years. I have been dealing with B2B clients from the US, Canada, and the UK. I feel my career is not moving at the pace i want it to be. Either i want to stick with the same industry (but different company) or want to move to consulting. Can anyone please suggest if 1 year MBA programs will be good for me? If yes, which ones and where? Here are my details

GMAT: 690 (Q50, V32)
Education: Production Engg (7.5/10) in 1999. Since then have been working with the same company and have assumed mostly entrepreneurial roles at different stages of my career progression.

looking for HKUST, INSEAD, IMD, ESADE, LBS.....

experts/friends pls need your suggestions.

many thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1 year program - please suggest [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 12:57
One year programs as are more common in the UK and European schools. US schools generally have a two year program. Again one year course in LBS is close to 16 months I believe.

Other schools in UK you may want to look at are CASS, WARWICK, OXFORD... They all run a one year program. Your experience will definitely help. All the best with your applications.

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 183

Re: 1 year program - please suggest [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 13:45
Expert's post
Hi hiimmunish:

The one thing that you ate that you are conscious of -- that your career may not be moving in the right direction -- it is exactly what missions committees fear from an applicant in their late 20s and early 30s. We need to make sure that in no way do you indicate that you are looking for an escape Hatch. Pretty much you want to tell them that what your goals are consistent of a path that build upon what you are currently doing and the educational sector. So if you want to go into consulting, I would tell them you are looking towards working in the educational services practice of management consulting firm. You definitely want to make sure that consulting firm actually recruits at the school you are applying to. There are plenty of one your programs in the UK, and across Europe in general, that will satisfy your needs. The one thing to consider is that it should you decide to work international, the brand name of your school will be imperative. This is especially true in India. Another poster recommended some local schools like Warwick and Cass. However, these schools may not garner the recognition that you will need to further your career in a remote location such as India. Instead of these schools, what I would look to one your programs at Oxford and Cambridge. I would also look at INSEAD as well.

I do see that your GMAT score is a little lower than I would like to see him, but it is well within the range for European programs. Of course, European programs place more emphasis on work experience in a quality of that experience, than your GMAT score or even undergraduate performance. I tend to like this school to better than some of their American counterparts that focus more on GMAT scores. But I digress.

The key to your successful candidacy and it is going to be finding that common thread that connects what you are doing today, with what you want to do that in the longer-term. Remember, you do not want to look like you are grasping at straws. You want to look like everything you have done to this point is a very tactical move designed to tell the reader that the MBA is the logical next step.

I hope the above provides a little more insight.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: 1 year program - please suggest [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 07:45
Thanks Paul, it is indeed a great info.
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 7

Re: 1 year program - please suggest [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 10:42
In the US, I have seen a few that have one year programs.

Notre Dame, Cornell and Northwestern have short programs.

Also overseas, I have looked into Cambridge and Oxford which might work better if youre looking for Europe