Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

10. Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

10. Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 12:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:17) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
10. Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the weather.
(A) so gradual as to be indistinguishable
(B) so gradual they can be indistinguishable
(C) so gradual that they are unable to be distinguished
(D) gradual enough not to be distinguishable
(E) gradual enough so that one cannot distinguish them

11. Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.
(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is

12. Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 B├йla Bart├│k and Zolt├бn Kod├бly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only with an Edison phonograph and insatiable curiosity.
(A) Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only
(B) In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, traveling the back roads of Hungary, began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were only armed
(C) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only
(D) Having traveled the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology; they were only armed
(E) Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, in 1905 began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, arming themselves only

Please give the explaination as well.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 12:31
Quote:
10. Climatic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the weather.
(A) so gradual as to be indistinguishable
(B) so gradual they can be indistinguishable
(C) so gradual that they are unable to be distinguished
(D) gradual enough not to be distinguishable
(E) gradual enough so that one cannot distinguish them

a. so ... as ...
b. so ... [?] = unidiomatic
c. they are unable to be distinguished=indistinguishable
+ climatic shifts is gradual;climatic shifts is they....
d, e gradual enough=wrong

Quote:
11. Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is necessary only in the South.
(A) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, control of them is
(B) widely distributed, measures to control the lesser cornstalk borer are
(C) widely distributed, lesser cornstalk borer control is
(D) the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are
(E) it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is

D

b. measures are widely distributed
c. control is widely distributed
e. it is widely distributed, [require subject]control ...

Marat
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 13:50
lvb9th wrote:
A
C
B

Will explain if correct.

Try it

Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe piloted his ballon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

B. In 1984, Joe, setting a distance record, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo

C. In 1984, Joe piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

D. Having been first to cross the Atlantic solo, and with a voyage from Maine to Italy, Joe set a balloon distance record in 1984

E. Joe, in 1984, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a new discovery record, becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

Marat
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 14:07
Marat2005 wrote:
lvb9th wrote:
A
C
B

Will explain if correct.

Try it

Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe piloted his ballon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

B. In 1984, Joe, setting a distance record, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo

C. In 1984, Joe piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

D. Having been first to cross the Atlantic solo, and with a voyage from Maine to Italy, Joe set a balloon distance record in 1984

E. Joe, in 1984, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a new discovery record, becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

Marat

Good point Marat, I just didnt like the idea od "the began......, traveling" As if they began and then traveling. But I guess I was incorrect, They began while traveling. :wall Ponimaesh?

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 14:16
12C. Backroads of Hungary armed only? Incorrect, unless a conjunct and is placed between the participle phrases.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 14:37
lvb9th wrote:
Good point Marat, I just didnt like the idea od "the began......, traveling" As if they began and then traveling. But I guess I was incorrect, They began while traveling. :wall Ponimaesh?

Ponimayu. :-D
IMO, zdes' context vse-taki nemnogo drugoi nezheli "while travelling", no vse ravno udivitel'no kak ti'bi'stro razobralsya :roll: ... u menya zanyalo prilichno vremeni.

Poka!
Marat

Last edited by Marat2005 on 04 Apr 2004, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 15:22
hallelujah1234 wrote:
12C. Backroads of Hungary armed only? Incorrect, unless a conjunct and is placed between the participle phrases.

here is what i mean:

travelling backroads of hungry armed

Please look at "similar" quest. above. Beyond that, you can see info. on free relative, summative and resumptive modifiers. You will find to which "travelling" refer and what "travelling" means.

Please correct me if smth. is wrong.

Thank you.

Marat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 15:33
So you are saying that "armed" does not modify the noun, Hungary.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2004, 15:36
Marat2005 wrote:
lvb9th wrote:

Ponimayu. :-D
IMO, zdes' context vse-taki nemnogo drugoi nezheli "while travelling", no vse ravno udivitel'no kak ti'bi'stro razobralsya :roll: ... u menya zanyalo prilichno vremeni.

Poka!
Marat

Spacibo! :shock:

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

[#permalink] 04 Apr 2004, 15:36