Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

10 days left, need help!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

10 days left, need help!! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 03:11
Hi all, I have been preparing for 1 month now, taken the GMAT prep tests 3 times and noticed that with each test my scores are declining, I feel very anxious and am unable to continue, feels like I've hit the wall :( :(

Materials used are OG 12th edition, Kaplan and few CAT books to practice quants, I've almost completed 2/3rd of the OG, details of my scores are as below:

First test taken 15 days into my preparation - 540 (Q 36, V 22)
Second test ten days after - 520 (Q 36, V 24)
Third test 2 days ago - 530 (Q 36, V 27)

My quants score seems stagnant, I know I need to improve a lot, aiming for at least 45+ and verbal does not show much improvement. I realise that I'm not able to complete the quants question within time, so end up guessing the last 3 - 4 questions....with verbal I have issues with RC and CR...I know I'm probably too late now but please advice on how should I spend the last few days of my prep, I know for a fact that I need more practice with quants and time keeping for starters, but with these bad scores, I get all worked up and lose confidence. I keep wanting to take the test again and again, but am not prepared to face the result...please help! :?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 10 days left, need help!! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 06:27
Hi rosh,

welcome to the Club!

I don't know by how many points you want to increase your score. If you want 600+ it would be hard to improve in one week, but there are a lot of exceptions from such rules.
You may reschedule your test and prepare better for math section. You have to brush up your concepts. Best source some people claim is Manhattan GMAT 8 books series.

Also look through:
- best-gmat-books-77703.html
-http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?highlight=ml502
-Best math practice material ever - for those who want to achive 47-51 score in quantative section - GMAT club tests http://gmatclub.com/tests/ - all questions are with explanations and discussions (all difficult). Sections are designed to simultae GMAT
-everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html?highlight=ml303
- GMAT courses gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html
and discounts gmat-courses-discounts-and-special-discount-codes-89957.html

Btw, i see a huge discrepancy in V score in 540 (Q 36, V 22) and 530 (Q 36, V 27) - there is something wrong. Overall score could not be higher if raw scores are lower. I believe that first score is about 500.

good luck.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: 10 days left, need help!! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 10:06
Hi Rosh,
If I we were you,I'd better schedule my GMAT than screw it up. I think you should prepare for some more time ,become strong in different areas and then take the GMAT.It really doesn't make sense to take the GMAT and get a 540 and then retrospect what did you get wrong!
What is even more alarming is that you don't have encouraging scores in either of the two sections,so you may want to think about rescheduling your exam because the fact that that a score of less than 650 will make the task of getting through a decent business school quite difficult.
If you by chance decide to delay your exam by a month,then probably we all here can help you with the strategy.

It's a dawg eat dawg world!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 10 days left, need help!! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 19:55
Expert's post
Yes, at this point you may need to reschedule (if you have time and looking for a score higher than 500-550). When do you need to take the test by?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 10 days left, need help!! [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 00:36
bb wrote:
Yes, at this point you may need to reschedule (if you have time and looking for a score higher than 500-550). When do you need to take the test by?

Thank you all for responding quickly, I really need to take the test now as I want to apply before Dec 1st week, if I delay the test then I lose out on round 2 applications and my chances of getting through round 3 would be lesser...

I'll give this my best shot, will continue to work on improving quants and yes like you say will take up the gmat club tests...however 1 question here, do you think I should practice by taking more tests or only take them once I'm confident I've improved my quants?

Thanks for all your help!!!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 10 days left, need help!! [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 01:01
Expert's post
For many schools you may be able to take the test right before the deadline, such as nov 30th. You know that, right?

Though you still need to work on the apps

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 10 days left, need help!! [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 03:28
I
Quote:
'll give this my best shot, will continue to work on improving quants and yes like you say will take up the gmat club tests...however 1 question here, do you think I should practice by taking more tests or only take them once I'm confident I've improved my quants?

You had better take the tests when you are confident in your quants (i think it is 40 and above level). But you may try one free test and see how do you perform if compared to others.

Gmatclub gives you Free GMAT Club Tests this Halloween - so you may try even more tests and see your results.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Re: 10 days left, need help!!   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2010, 03:28