I have scheduled my GMAT on next 28th and at this moment I'm ... well.. really confused. This is going to be my first time and my target is to hit 700. Being said that, it now even sounds ridiculous to myself after I've completed my 4th Practice test today.
I've been preparing for 10 weeks [avg 2/hrs/day after full-time job]. 3 weeks ago, I took my first GMATPrep and scored 610. Then I immediately registered for the test as I was confident to improve my score by 100 points in following 4 weeks [I've taken leave from office for these last 15 days to fully prepare for GMAT]. Anyway, I took 3 practice tests over last 14 days and here are the scores:
05 July - 800score - 480
14 July - Master Gmat free test- 470 (29Q, 24V)
17 July - GMAT Pill free test - 410 (26Q, 22V) [this one had some internet connectivity problem which affected my score by 20% I believe]Problems identified:
1. On each of the mock test, I ran out of time in Verbal section and had to hurry for last 10 questions.
2. BIG PROBLEM: I'm always finding it difficult to bring my concentration/focus to exam questions in the beginning few minutes.
3. The reading comprehensions are eating up a lot of time.. no idea how to deal with this
4. I suck at DS big time. I really do.
5. I have poor skills on Probability+permutation/combination+VennStrong areas:
1. Geometry - It hardly beats me
2. SC - Doing better than I myself expected
3. Never having problems with Quant timingWeird issues:
1. I find most of the OG materials easier compared to other practice materials. Even the GMATPrep CAT1 also appeared much easier compared to ANY other tests I've taken.
2. I can answer the CR & RC problems almost effortlessly when I practice using books; but the opposite happens in the tests.Action course for next 10 days [exam is on 28-July]:
1. Take the following gmat practice tests one every other day for next 8 days:
800score - 20 July
MGMAT [free one] - 22-JulyKaplan
[free one] - 24-July
Official GMATPrep 2 - 26-July
1/2 Gmatclub test - in between of time permits.
I hope taking these these will help me to get the pace right and build enough stamina. Also, I hope to build some confidence hopefully by scoring better in MGMAT and GMATPrep as those are expected to provide 'more accurate' estimate.
2. I'll not try anymore practice questions in these remaining days except for completing the OG verbal
3. I feel I must take a break from study for a full day tomorrow and also the day before the big day.Questions to you guys here:
1. Should I spend more time on improving my quant skills with Probability+permutation+Venn etc? Is it worth the time considering the very little preparation time left for me?
2. What do you think.. what could be the main reason of my poor test scores? I'm so frustrated today that I can't really find any explanations why I'm miss-hitting so many questions! Sometimes I find myself telling that the test-taker companies have made those free diagnostic tests extra difficult so that people enroll to their coaching programs! [I guess it's false consolation only?] Anyway, do you think MGMAT and GMATPrep2 will get better results?
3. What can I do to improve my concentration at the beginning of the test?
4. Hitting 700 score looks like a distant Star to me at this moment - so I've stopped totally to think about that. Am I doing the right thing?
Thanks a lot if you're still reading... Thanks in advance for your time!