Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

10 days to go...realistic chance to improve verbal?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

10 days to go...realistic chance to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 11:19
Hello all,

I appeared for the GMAT Prep a week ago , scored a miserable 600 (q46 v 26).

My GMAT's scheduled on the 10th of Dec.

I'd really appreciate you guys suggesting how should i go about my study plan in the last 10 days now, considering that I'm aiming for a 35+ Verbal score.

In the verbal section, i got a total of 17 wrong( 3SCs, 5CRs, 9RCs)

Roughly, how many would i have to get right out of the 41 questions in order to achieve atleast 35+ in the verbal section?

Thanks!

Rgds/Prath.

My GMAT JOURNEY : 500 to 640 in a Month!! ---- > http://gmatclub.com/forum/finally-done-gmat-1-500-to-gmat-2-640-in-a-month-89600.html#p678289

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 days to go...realistic chance to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 14:22
Sorry to be a party pooper, but I think the RC section, your weakest, takes a while to improve. When I took the SATs I had trouble with the RC section, and gained significant improvements in my score after I started reading regularly.

SC is the easiest to boost in a short period of time. Even though, you only got 3 SC questions wrong, it’s worth reviewing the MGMAT SC guide. It has everything you’ll need to know about grammar for the GMAT.

Getting better at CR comes with a lot of practice. In the next few days try to do as many CR questions as you can. If you’ve finished with the OG and the Verbal OG, try some LSAT problems. Make sure to read the explanations of questions you've gotten wrong.

As for the number of questions you'll need to get 35+, there is no concrete answer for that since the exam is computer adaptive. I've heard that the first 10-15 questions weight more heavily in determining your score. I think you'll need 30+ right, though.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 10 days to go...realistic chance to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 15:22
Hello prathns,

While no one can ever tell you what the needed strike rate is, you want to be very comfortable with 650+ problems to achieve a 700+ score.

Not only is the test adaptive, but it also has un-scored problems that are used for research purposes. You have no way of knowing what problems are scored vs what problems are not scored, therefore you must treat each problem as though it is a scored problem.

The theory that the first 10 problems are the most important is a myth. The test adapts, thus if you do well at the beginning, you will see more difficult problems sooner. That being said, if you panic and run out of time at the end, you WILL crash and burn, thus tanking your score. Your focus should be completing blocks of problems in a fixed amount of time (or an averge of 2mins/problem on quant and 1.75 mins/problem on verbal). You don't need to be exact on each problem, simply remain within the average over an entire block of problems.

Use the GMAT book thread to identify any other books that might be valuable for you:

best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html
best-gmat-books-reviews-recommendations-77703.html

Best of luck,

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: 10 days to go...realistic chance to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 22:41
prathns,

I am in the same boat as you! I've just finished GMATPrep and got 600 (48Q, 24V). My GMAT is on Dec 8.

My RC and CR are very bad (7 wrong each).

However, I believe that we still have time to practice and practice makes perfect. Keep fighting!
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: 10 days to go...realistic chance to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 11:31
Hi

I wanted to emphasize, first of all, that how well you do on the exam does not have much to do with how many questions you get right or wrong. It's the level of the questions you get wrong that really matters, so a person getting 17 questions wrong in the 700-800 level will score a lot better than somebody who got 17 questions wrong in the 300-400 level.

In terms of the timing mentioned above, on the verbal you should try and spend 90 seconds on every Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning problem. This leaves you about 8 minutes for each of the four Reading Comprehension passages, to both read the questions and respond to them. You should spend about 2.5 to 3 minutes reading the short RC passages, and 3-4 minutes on the longer ones.

Good practice for the Reading Comprehension is to read a lot of magazine articles. Since a lot of the RC passages are lifted from places like PhD theses, articles in intellectual journals like the Economist, or university alumni magazines are good places to start.

You may also want to check out our Reading Comprehension guide, which you can find by going to our website at ManhattanGMAT[dot]com and clicking on the "Store" link in the upper gray bar. (It's also sold at Amazon and other book stores.) Like our Sentence Correction guide, the Reading Comprehension would give you some good strategies to get through the questions quickly and effectively.

Hope the advice helps!

Best,
Caitlin Clay
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: 10 days to go...realistic chance to improve verbal?   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2009, 11:31