Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 23:33
Hi all,
I have just 10 more days for my big day!!!
I find that sustaining for the whole period of test is very very very tiring. I start my test on a very high note, but by the end I lose all my interest and end up just moving past the questions. I also find that I am fairly good at both quants and Verbal. The only hitch is that if I get one Q wrong, I get the next 1-2 consecutive q's also wrong. And this is not because I don't know the concept, but because I am bowled over by my previous wrong/guess work. I gather myself and gain momentum only after a relatively easy question is given. And by that time, everything's over! My scores would have plummeted and to regain a decent score, I have to slog again. This cycle repeats!
Now, how do I break this cycle? How do I sustain my momentum? How do I ensure that I keep up my spirit for the entire test.
Please be noted that I have tried out all strategies like giving both the sections in one go or taking the stipulated breaks exactly as mentioned. I have even tried to the extent of prolonging my breaks. But I just fail to keep up the momentum.
I know that if I can make a 670/680, I can definitely hit the 700 mark, provided a little more effort is required from my side! And the effort should be my sustenance!
Strange that I know what my problem is, and I know the solution too! But I do not know how to apply!!!
With only 10 more days for the exam, I am scared to even attempt a simple practice question now. I cannot cancel/reschedule my exam too, since I would be busy until next summer!

GMAT Clubbers, please help me!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 00:04
Phil Jackson meditates....

In all honesty you just gotta relax and keep things in perspective I think. First, its one test, and you can retake it if need be. And on a smaller scale, it is just one question, if you get it wrong... well you're gonna get some questions wrong, so don't sweat it. In fact you can get a LOT of questions wrong and still get a really good score. Finally, if that one wrong question is really getting you hung up, then stop for 20 seconds, take some deep breaths, and think of your happy place. Or Billy Madison's happy place. Losing 20 seconds is probably much better than tanking the next few questions out of frustration.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 00:31
Take it very very easy it's just test and your nerves and mental condition is much more important!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 06:40
Take it easy as pavle says. Its all down to ur mental strength ( I havent given my test yet but from the practise tests I found this ). So keep ur calm and u d crack GMAT :-)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 07:31
A lot of test takers struggle with this particular phenomenon. I call it "going on tilt." It is a gambling term. When you lose big (miss a question) you start to get reckless (answering questions without really focusing on the solution, in particular on Data Sufficiency and Sentence Correction.)

Now, I am assuming you don't mean you "miss" a question, because you cannot know that on the test, but you mean you are stuck or confused by a question. This is common to the GMAT, and here are some of the things I personally use, as well as what I suggest to my students.

First of all, you need to remind yourself that roughly 25% of the questions do not count towards your score. In fact, there is a really good chance that you had a hard time on a particular questions because it is a BAD experimental question, or too difficult for your score range.

Secondly, as part of what I do with The Princeton Review, I took the GMATPrep software multiple times aiming for certain scores. On one of my tests, I missed 21 questions on the Quant, and scored a 37. In simpler terms, one individual question REALLY doesn't matter that much, even if that question is early. It is more important to do well on the whole, and not run into a string of missed questions. One doesn't matter.

I also suggest a little mind trick to relax yourself. Right after struggling on a question, take 5 seconds and go to your "happy place." Close your eyes and imagine some vivid and pleasing image. (I use carebears myself...stupid I know, but it works.) The idea is to blank your mind. You want to forget the past question and to focus on the question at hand, unadulterated by previous thoughts. (If you are computer science-y minded, think of it as the garbage collector for your mind.)

I frequently score 50's and 51's on the Quant section, and I am frequently overmatched by a handful of questions. It is just part of the GMAT! The real test is how you adapt to that adversity. Just as the other posters said, you have to put less emphasis on one question.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 07:51
OliverTPR wrote:
I also suggest a little mind trick to relax yourself. Right after struggling on a question, take 5 seconds and go to your "happy place." Close your eyes and imagine some vivid and pleasing image. (I use carebears myself...stupid I know, but it works.) The idea is to blank your mind. You want to forget the past question and to focus on the question at hand, unadulterated by previous thoughts. (If you are computer science-y minded, think of it as the garbage collector for your mind.)

I have my GMAT in a few days; this is great advice. Thanks!

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 09:20
OliverTPR wrote:

Thank you for that wonderful piece of advice. I will try it during my practice tests.

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 09:34
Here is an article from MGMAT that should should help.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/stress-tips.cfm

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 19:48
OliverTPR wrote:

First of all, you need to remind yourself that roughly 25% of the questions do not count towards your score. In fact, there is a really good chance that you had a hard time on a particular questions because it is a BAD experimental question, or too difficult for your score range.

Is this really true? In MGMAT exams, your percentile drops by a point when you get a question wrong.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2234

Kudos [?]: 8391 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 19:56
Expert's post
Probably not because otherwise, starting out in the middle at 50th percentile, you could never get a score lower than 50-37 = 13 percentile.
However, MGMAT algorithm is their own proprietary system that is different from the real GMAT.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 20:46
OliverTPR wrote:
I frequently score 50's and 51's on the Quant section, and I am frequently overmatched by a handful of questions. It is just part of the GMAT! The real test is how you adapt to that adversity. Just as the other posters said, you have to put less emphasis on one question.

I need to hear this, thank you..

t - 37hrs 12min until game time.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 21:54
Steer clear of all this redbull mumbo-jumbo. It will only make amp up your nerves come test time.

Try breathing techniques and meditation. Slow your heart rate down. Relax, it's only one stupid test you can take over if you need to!

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 02:59
I have another question here. Suppose, I have started off well and the GMAT throws an exceptionally difficult question and I answer that correctly. So, my level is judged(if I have got the concept right). Next I get an experimental question, which I fail to answer. I know that this question does not count towards my score, but what I want to know is that, the level I established before this experimental question will still hold, or will I be thrown a less-difficult question, with my scores going down?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 09:40
jananijayakumar wrote:
I have another question here. Suppose, I have started off well and the GMAT throws an exceptionally difficult question and I answer that correctly. So, my level is judged(if I have got the concept right). Next I get an experimental question, which I fail to answer. I know that this question does not count towards my score, but what I want to know is that, the level I established before this experimental question will still hold, or will I be thrown a less-difficult question, with my scores going down?

Hey don't worry much about experimental questions. You'll never come to know which question is real and which is dummy. Just try to solve each question GMAT screen will throw to you.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
and in quant if you'll give first 8-10 questions with 80% or more accuracy then the rest questions will be of 600-700 or 700-800 level. n good part is you'll be in top 20 percentage people at all time and chances are you'll get 47+ in quant. i got 47 on both gmatprep tests with 12 wrong answers.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 09:45
don't forget to post your GMAT scores and i'm sure you'll do great...All the best.
Manager
Manager

Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 08:42
Thanks PranavChamp! It means a lot to me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 19:34
Hey Hi jananijayakumar,
What was ur GMAt Score.any updates or debrief?i hope u did well!!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help... [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 05:52
how did you do?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: 10 More days for GMAT!!! Please Help...   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2010, 05:52