Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 23:30
10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If each sergent salutes other sergents and liutenants once and each lietanant salutes each pf the sergents back but not each other, how many salutes take place ?

a) 144
b) 131
c) 115
d) 90
e) 45
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 01:13
Salutes between sergeants = 10C2 = 45
Salutes between sergeants and lieutenants = 7*10 = 70

Total = 115
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 350
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Word Problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 03:55
ajay_gmat wrote:
10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If each sergent salutes other sergents and liutenants once and each lietanant salutes each pf the sergents back but not each other, how many salutes take place ?

a) 144
b) 131
c) 115
d) 90
e) 45


Each sergeant salutes each of the lieutenants. (10*7)=70 salutes
Each lieutenant salutes each of the sergeants. (7*10)= 70 salutes

Doesn't that make 140 salutes ?? That is not even counting the salutes between the sergeants (which adds another 45 salutes) !! Where am I going wrong ?? :?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 174
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Word Problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 04:59
sumande wrote:
ajay_gmat wrote:
10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If each sergent salutes other sergents and liutenants once and each lietanant salutes each pf the sergents back but not each other, how many salutes take place ?

a) 144
b) 131
c) 115
d) 90
e) 45


Each sergeant salutes each of the lieutenants. (10*7)=70 salutes
Each lieutenant salutes each of the sergeants. (7*10)= 70 salutes

Doesn't that make 140 salutes ?? That is not even counting the salutes between the sergeants (which adds another 45 salutes) !! Where am I going wrong ?? :?


I think that since the lieutenants are saluting the sergeants at the same time that the sergeants salute the lieutenants, it counts as a one time salute. Kind of like handshakes...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 350
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Word Problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 06:24
briks123 wrote:
sumande wrote:
ajay_gmat wrote:
10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If each sergent salutes other sergents and liutenants once and each lietanant salutes each pf the sergents back but not each other, how many salutes take place ?

a) 144
b) 131
c) 115
d) 90
e) 45


Each sergeant salutes each of the lieutenants. (10*7)=70 salutes
Each lieutenant salutes each of the sergeants. (7*10)= 70 salutes

Doesn't that make 140 salutes ?? That is not even counting the salutes between the sergeants (which adds another 45 salutes) !! Where am I going wrong ?? :?


I think that since the lieutenants are saluting the sergeants at the same time that the sergeants salute the lieutenants, it counts as a one time salute. Kind of like handshakes...


I could never imagine salutes and handshakes to be similar !! But if we are to consider that simultaneous salutes are to be counted as one, it should be mentioned in the question. As such, IMO, it is a wrongly framed question or there is some mistake with the answer choices.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Word Problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 07:34
sumande wrote:
briks123 wrote:
sumande wrote:
ajay_gmat wrote:
10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If each sergent salutes other sergents and liutenants once and each lietanant salutes each pf the sergents back but not each other, how many salutes take place ?

a) 144
b) 131
c) 115
d) 90
e) 45


Each sergeant salutes each of the lieutenants. (10*7)=70 salutes
Each lieutenant salutes each of the sergeants. (7*10)= 70 salutes

Doesn't that make 140 salutes ?? That is not even counting the salutes between the sergeants (which adds another 45 salutes) !! Where am I going wrong ?? :?


I think that since the lieutenants are saluting the sergeants at the same time that the sergeants salute the lieutenants, it counts as a one time salute. Kind of like handshakes...


I could never imagine salutes and handshakes to be similar !! But if we are to consider that simultaneous salutes are to be counted as one, it should be mentioned in the question. As such, IMO, it is a wrongly framed question or there is some mistake with the answer choices.


I would have to agree. Coming from a military background, I can tell you when a sergeant salutes a Lt and the Lt salutes back the exchange counts as 2 salutes.

I got 90 (Sergeants to Sergeants) + 70 (Sergeants to Lts) + 70 (Lts to Lts) = 230. None of the answers fit.

If you assume salute = handshake then 230/2 = 115.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 174
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Word Problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 09:14
qtip wrote:
sumande wrote:
briks123 wrote:
sumande wrote:
ajay_gmat wrote:
10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If each sergent salutes other sergents and liutenants once and each lietanant salutes each pf the sergents back but not each other, how many salutes take place ?

a) 144
b) 131
c) 115
d) 90
e) 45


Each sergeant salutes each of the lieutenants. (10*7)=70 salutes
Each lieutenant salutes each of the sergeants. (7*10)= 70 salutes

Doesn't that make 140 salutes ?? That is not even counting the salutes between the sergeants (which adds another 45 salutes) !! Where am I going wrong ?? :?


I think that since the lieutenants are saluting the sergeants at the same time that the sergeants salute the lieutenants, it counts as a one time salute. Kind of like handshakes...


I could never imagine salutes and handshakes to be similar !! But if we are to consider that simultaneous salutes are to be counted as one, it should be mentioned in the question. As such, IMO, it is a wrongly framed question or there is some mistake with the answer choices.


I would have to agree. Coming from a military background, I can tell you when a sergeant salutes a Lt and the Lt salutes back the exchange counts as 2 salutes.

I got 90 (Sergeants to Sergeants) + 70 (Sergeants to Lts) + 70 (Lts to Lts) = 230. None of the answers fit.

If you assume salute = handshake then 230/2 = 115.


Haha, I guess the challenge writers should consult you next time huh? :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 09:58
The OA is 115.. Was confused on this one myself :-D
  [#permalink] 27 Jul 2007, 09:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic 10 business executives and 7 chairmen meet at a conference manalq8 8 16 Jan 2012, 09:51
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic 10 business executives and 7 chairmen meet at a conference. far257 7 19 Aug 2011, 07:25
PS - Train meets priyankur_saha@ml.com 4 14 Mar 2009, 05:45
10 sergeants and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If pawan82 3 13 Nov 2006, 20:15
SC: Lieutenant gayathri 4 14 Dec 2004, 07:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

10 sergents and 7 lieutenants meet at the training camp. If

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.