Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 12:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 11:07
Taking regular restroom breaks certainly helps between various sections even if you don't need one. It provides your body a bit of motion and also distracts your mind out of exam room. Try to avoid any discussions during the break to avoid loosing focus. I still haven't appeared for exam but have done prometric tests and it really helps me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 19:38
great POST!
It will help me a lot for the last week!!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 10:38
Thanks for the advice GMATLA. Great stuff as I'm just preparing my preparation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 10:47
Practice Typing on a "Desktop" keyboard.

This might sound silly but, I think this is as important as the other suggestions. On the test day you will be provided with a desktop. Most of us, I assume, are accustomed to use a laptop and might find it a bit difficult to type at a pace on a desktop keyboard. My suggestion is to get comfortable using a desktop keyboard, if you think you are not, before the D day.
Intern
Intern

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 03:30
Thanks for sharing these nice tips.........great piece info you share....Keep posting like this...
Intern
Intern

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 20:04
Great post, thanks for the advice. Didn't really pay attention to the fact that schools could be looking at the test day photos.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 13:34
This is a very useful thread and taught me things I had not known previously. You get your picture taken? Wow, didn't know that. And great tip in visiting the test center beforehand. Makes a great deal of sense.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 15:00
Cool post! Tyvm.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 04:57
Thanks, good reminder what to keep in mind!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 29

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 23:08
I can totally relate to the earplug thing. I never ever had any experience wearing those weird orange earplugs. On the test day, it was very uncomfortable to handle them.
Thanks for the great tips.
+1 for sharing.

Learn to walk before you run.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 18:38
Some great tips in this post. I think I'll start doing the AWA after I have reviewed all the material and start testing stamina.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 22:47
Brilliant post! +1! I am going to go get myself a laminated pad right away!

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 00:05
Thanks for your great post! I remembered every single point in this note and followed them, definitely gained much confidence on my test day. It helped a lot. Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 23:18
I completely agree with this post ... it's more about mental state of mind ..
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 114

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 10:49
So I've decided that it is time to add a #13! I've been thinking about what new intagible is extremely important on test day, and I finally decided:

13. Choose Your Test Time & Day to Set Yourself Up for Test Day Success
So are you a morning person? How is your test taking ability on Saturday? Can your brain function at 8:00am? These are alllll questions you should ask yourself when you sign up for the GMAT. You should not only be trying to figure out what time fits best in your schedule, but also what time works best for you mentally. The general advice for the BEST time for the MOST amount of people to take the test is on Monday morning. Either 8:00am or 9:00am depending on the testing center. This is because you have the whole weekend to relax/easy study, and then Monday your brain is usually prepared for the work week. This is the time I would suggest to anyone.

The funny thing is, most commonly Saturdays and Fridays are the first days to fill up! Why??? Because people don't want to miss work, and people want days that make sense in their work week. Try to forget about the days you work, and try to figure out when your brain works BEST. You should book this time regardless of what day it falls on because taking one day off of work is worth never having to take this test again! So book your test day and time to help give you the best shot to score your top score. Once you have this test date booked, try to take your practice tests on this day and time if possible, but if not, make sure to atleast take practice tests on the same time of different days to get used to the timing.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 05-05-2012
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 11:18
My First post on GMATclub!!!

First of all thanks GMATLA, gr8 post!! I have already placed order for scratch pad. Being a character who gets nervous with a change, I want to simulate everything possible. Thanks.

Here are my 2 cents.
I am struggling thru the practice tests after studying rigorously for 2 months. Tried to find the problem area, it differs from test to test in verbal. so tried to analyze what is wrong. My analysis may help, if not just forget about my post.
I found that when I do a string of same type questions I am perfectly bang on. Even while doing review of my earlier MGMAT I tried to solve only SC questions again, and I got only 2 wrong out of 15.
I found that switching type is my problem, when I get RC and CR questions back to back ...no problem, though CR after RC consumes a little more time. But after a string of RC and CRs, I tend to focus on meaning of SC sentence rather than grammar rule itself.
So I am going to try mixing the question types while practicing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

GMAT and a 19 month old to take care of.... Possible!!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 19:37
Good tips there, I think being as comfortable and used to your environment as possible is key
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 114

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 09:25
Swoosh617 wrote:
Good tips there, I think being as comfortable and used to your environment as possible is key

I'd definitely agree. You'd be surprised how many people overlook this important step. They work SOOO hard to have everything under control, and forget that they can often times easily drive to their testing center and experience the environment. I can tell you from personal experience that my 2nd time at the test center, and felt like a seasoned veteran. The only thing you don't have control over on test day is the test itself, you should do your best to MASTER everything else.
Intern
Intern

Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 20:22
About building exam stamina, I had a few doubts. Before the doubts, I would like to put in what I am actually doing. My GMAT's around the corner, April end :-D ... I have been trying to time the OG 12 questions, but always seem to mess up my time if I am using a regular watch or a stopwatch application. So here are the doubts:

1. Is there a timing tool that I can use effectively? I try timing with my digi watch or the stopwatch on my lap, but it always overshoots then!. I work with the same mental pace in my Practice tests (Gave Kaplan and MGMAT CAT 1 - One gave me a 640, and the other a 610!!), but ended up having 8 minutes extra at the verbal section and 3 minutes for the Quant. Frankly, i am a loss to how to cope in the issue. I tried looking up all aspects, but am not able to find a way to simulate the exam timing sessions into my practise set routines. Need a little help with that!!

2. Is giving 2 tests on the same day with a 2 hour break and trying to estimate your level of fatigue a good idea?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 09:34
excellent tips..kudos +1
Re: 10 Tips to Improve Your Score & App With NO Extra Studying   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2012, 09:34