Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

100 Point Difference from MGMAT-Real thing Need to Retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Washington Bothell, and Seattle University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
100 Point Difference from MGMAT-Real thing Need to Retake [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 14:24
I was scoring 620-640 on MGMAT CAT's the week before the test, and on the real thing I got a 540. I know there is supposed to be around a 50 point standard deviation but not 100. I also scored 620 on both the GMAT prep CAT's. I think what really hurt me was the verbal section. I was scoring in the 60-75% range on practice tests, but got a V28 47% on the real thing. There are a few factors that played into me being distracted: the guy next to me was typing throughout my the entire verbal section, and a girl a few seats down from me started CRYING. No joke.

I think it is much easier to score high in verbal on practice tests. Since I was getting scores that I was happy with on the verbal section I did not spend a whole lot of time studying on RC and CR. I think this hurt me in the actual test because when I got nervous or distracted I did not have rules and guidelines to fall back on.

Anyways I need to make a new study plan, and I need advice from people who have had to retake the GMAT in order to get a higher score. I have all 8 MGMAT books that I was planning on going back over, and I just ordered the Power Score CR bible. I also have the Total GMAT Math book from gmathacks.com I was planning on going through that whole books also. Any advice for RC? I will go through the MGMAT RC guide. I also went through almost every question in OG12 and the Quant/Verbal reviews. Would I get any new GMAC question if I got the GMAT focus or paper tests? I want more GMAC questions, but I don't know if there are any out there.

Also I would appreciate any advice for the actual test taking process. I used the 50-30-10 for Q11, 21, 31 for Quant and 55-35-15 for Q11, 21, 31 on Verbal. Is there a better system out there? I know that a 540 is well below my actual ability. One factor is that I took some adderall before the actual test. I took adderall while studying and taking practice tests, but I think with the pressure of the actual tests the adderall made me nervous and made it even harder to concentrate.

I would appreciate any advice. I want to get my score above 600 and hopefully in the 650 range. I can study around 40 hours a week. What is the best pan for bringing up your score, and/or working out test anxiety?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1149

Kudos [?]: 5339 [0], given: 165

Re: 100 Point Difference from MGMAT-Real thing Need to Retake [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 18:29
Expert's post
MeestorEno wrote:
I was scoring 620-640 on MGMAT CAT's the week before the test, and on the real thing I got a 540. I know there is supposed to be around a 50 point standard deviation but not 100. I also scored 620 on both the GMAT prep CAT's. I think what really hurt me was the verbal section. I was scoring in the 60-75% range on practice tests, but got a V28 47% on the real thing. There are a few factors that played into me being distracted: the guy next to me was typing throughout my the entire verbal section, and a girl a few seats down from me started CRYING. No joke.

Obviously, GMAT is important to you. You are taking it again; you are studying for it again. Then do not lose your focus because of what people around you are doing. I know many people are naturally curious and like to know what's happening around them (which is great and works to their advantage in life) but during the test, forget everyone else. If I were to ask you after you come out of your test about the number of people there in the test center, the gender of the person sitting closest to you, the number of people who came in while you were sitting there etc, you should tell me that you don't have the slightest idea about anything (and you actually shouldn't have!)
They give you those noise canceling head phones - use them. Just look at your monitor and your scratch pad, nothing else. Try and take practice tests in a serious environment. Fight the urge to check your facebook account midway through the sample test (It is hard, we all know that.)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: 100 Point Difference from MGMAT-Real thing Need to Retake   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2011, 18:29