Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
Anyone submit there app? From what I gather from past threads and other message board, the langone program has a fairly quick turnaround time with completed applications. For those who have submitted their apps, has anyone heard back?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbalooking,

I submitted my application a month ago and I haven't heard anything. After I submitted my application I got a confirmation email saying that my application had been submitted and i would be recieving an email that my application was being processed but not until after the deadline. So I don't believe that the admissions process will be rolling, it will start after the deadline. Also, from other threads it seems like admits start to come 1-2 weeks after the deadline pass.

Good luck to everyone...I know ever since I submitted my app that I've been very anxious.....and its getting worse.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
asharc wrote:
mbalooking,

So I don't believe that the admissions process will be rolling, it will start after the deadline. Also, from other threads it seems like admits start to come 1-2 weeks after the deadline pass.

I attended the information session and asked the same question about the rolling admissions and they confirmed that they only process applications after the deadline.

I am still struggling with my essay 3 and creativity. :( Kudos to you for finishing early. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks. I struggled with essay 3 for quite a while trying to be 'creative' until I finally decided to write an essay. It took a while. Remember in this essay you want to let the adcom know who you are and what makes you special. It says 'feel free to be creative' - so you don't necessarily have to be. In my case, I felt like trying to be creative just wasn't working in my essay. Lets see what happens.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I agree with you. As soon as I try and be creative I lose the content in just trying to handle the creativity. I wish they didn't have a word limit on this one though..I am struggling with the word limit on all the essays. 250 words to describe what I want to do with my career.!!! Well as they say brevity is the soul of wit.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bozo19010 - thats exactly why I ended up writing about who I am essentially. You must be on the east coast posting so early right? How much of the app do you have left?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, I'm in NYC.
I have my essays left. They seem to be so critical in telling the whole story.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asharc - I also submitted my application a few weeks ago and I still haven't received my confirmation e-mail. Interesting considering that I submitted my transcripts a couple of months ago and overnighted fedex my essay 3 the day I submitted my application. I guess it'll take a few more weeks before they put all the pieces together?

It is interesting that the application process is not rolling considering what I've read in other boards (namely the businessweek forums). The turnaround time for putting together the application differs for each applicant, but the response time seems to be fairly quick. For some folks adcom responded within a couple of weeks after completion irrespective of the deadline. Maybe things have changed since last year. Anyone have a different experience?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAlooking - I initially thought that the admissions were rolling, but after submitting mine found out that they are not. If you look at the previous boards for langone I haven't seen anyone get an admit before the deadline. What are your stats and which preference did you apply for? Good luck to you. Waiting is the hardest part...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello,
I have a question about following component of essay # 2:

Why have you chosen to pursue your MBA on a part-time basis?

It does not ask you to explain why you want to do part-time MBA from NYU. May be it is implied but to me it seems like a generic question. Should i still include my reasons for applying at NYU or address that any where else ? And if the answer is yes then where ? I just don't want to spend words on explaining something which was not really asked.

thx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q47  V41
Send PM
pkmba wrote:
Hello,
I have a question about following component of essay # 2:

Why have you chosen to pursue your MBA on a part-time basis?

It does not ask you to explain why you want to do part-time MBA from NYU. May be it is implied but to me it seems like a generic question. Should i still include my reasons for applying at NYU or address that any where else ? And if the answer is yes then where ? I just don't want to spend words on explaining something which was not really asked.

thx

I hear you on this, I flirted with this idea as well since it seems to be critical in the NYU fulltime app. In the end, this essay is tight enough being <250 words so I kind of just threw in a plug about it being an excellent program. I decided in the end it was more important to emphasize that I understand that there is not a focus on recruiting/internships and I specifically said that was ok b/c I am a "career enhancer" rather than switcher as that terminology seems to be thrown around in FT vs PT articles a lot.

Speaking of the word limits.... I went with the written essay route for essay 3. My draft's official word count is 592. I already think it's really lean and I can't come up with anything else to trim out of it. Would it be a total faux pas if I'm that much over? I'm really desperate to just let this essay die so I found a website that has a word count that takes out small words ("it", "is", "and", etc) and it said 377. Any guidance here?

Maybe I should stop wasting time obsessing about this and write essay 1 :roll:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asharc-

That's really interesting but useful information. I guess the notion of "rolling" is a bit different for adcom. Either way, I was hoping I'd hear back sooner rather than later but I guess that may be wishful thinking.

I read somewhere that folks were asking for an interview. Anyone out ther do the same?

My stats:

660 GMAT
3.5 GPA (top tier school)
5 yrs WE in consulting

what are your stats asharc?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pkmba - my take is that most questions, irrespective of word count, asks the implicit question of "why [school x]"? You probably don't need to go to great lengths explaining every reason why school x is the right choice for you, but you need to "personalize" the essay so that it really reflects why this particular school is going to help you achieve your goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
In the employment history doc, how would I list a part time job that I held in college that paid me by the hour rather than annually? Also, is it correct to list a promotion within the same department on a separate line and under "reason for leaving" in the prior position as "promoted"?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Mbalooking,

My stats are:

680 (48Q/34V, 6.0 awa)
3.35 in Chemical Engineering
10 years WE in Pharmaceuticals
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Fall 2007 Langone Admissions - Analysis of the wait

Fall 2007 general facts:

- Applicants: 1077*
- Admission rate: 46%
- Admits: 495*
- Percent of admits who enroll: 92%
- Final class size: 456

* I calculated these results from the info in business week, the others I just copied.

Timeline facts:

~ 15% of admits notified in first 4 weeks.
~ 50% of admits notified by 2nd week of July.
~ 90% of admits notified by August.
~ 65% (290) of admits notified between July 4th and Aug 3rd, making July the busiest month.

The Timeline:

May 15: Deadline passes / App review begins
May 23: First GMAT club member admitted (checkitout)
June 19: 75 students admitted (according to the admitted student d-base)
June 27: 108 admitted
June 27: First GMAT club member rejected (RCReddy)
July 04: 130 admitted
July 13: 230 admitted (huge jump!)
July 22: 262 admitted
July 24: 288 admitted
July 25: 306 admitted
Aug 03: 420 admitted
Aug 09: Some waitlisted folks get in.
Aug 09: 440 admitted
Aug 17: 447 admitted
Aug 20: Several reject notices went out.

Note 1: It takes a few days for an admit to pay the deposit and show up in the database.
Note 2: Data is from the gmat club ‘NYU Langone Fall 2007’ thread

Observations and assumptions:

- Most of those who are admitted in the first 4 weeks have super strong profiles.
- Having a high gmat score does not mean you’ll know sooner. Aurora73 gets in on Jul 18th with a 760 gmat.
- Submitting early or late seems to have no effect on when you get notification.
- Notifications typically come on Tuesdays and Fridays (needs confirmation).
- 2 gmat clubbers get off the waitlist in early August.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Tenore, great work. +5 kudos
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60