Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
I am in for Round 1. I plan on a information visit while i'm in Chicago this summer and then I plan on going back in the Fall before Round 1 apps are due.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
I am in for Round 1. I plan on a information visit while i'm in Chicago this summer and then I plan on going back in the Fall before Round 1 apps are due.

I volunteered to host one of these informal student get together thingamabobs this summer, we are currently picking dates, when will you be in Chicago? I can steer things towards that date (we get a little budget to buy you guys a beer)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
R1 seems to be a sureshot for me as of this minute.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
I will definitely be in for R1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
BTW, it may be a commuter school, but I really don't want to stay on campus til midnight...so I guess I'm looking for a commuter school :lol:

No matter where you go, you are going to make tons of friends and you will also spend more time at campus than you probably will want to think about at this point, there will probably be more than a few midnights at campus. :twisted:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Count me in for R1.

the more I learn about this school, the more interested I am :)

anyone else going for one of the summer get-together thingies current students host?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Count me in for R1.

the more I learn about this school, the more interested I am :)

anyone else going for one of the summer get-together thingies current students host?

I've already visited the school and I am completely sold on it. However, I will definitely attend one the summer get-together as well as the formal info session in LA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
I've already visited the school and I am completely sold on it. However, I will definitely attend one the summer get-together as well as the formal info session in LA.

that's great! I've been to the school a year ago to visit friends who were in undergrad at UChicago, definitely plan to go again when I'm actually paying attention to my surroundings! I'm thinking of heading down there in the fall when classes are back in session...
cheers,
ac.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I am interested but still debating with my 680 gmat score..Any advice rhyme?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
SV6 wrote:
I am interested but still debating with my 680 gmat score..Any advice rhyme?

Wish I did, but I dont.... 680 is certainly within shooting distance of being admitted, and many people in the last year got in with scores around that range, so there's really no reason to assume you couldn't. There are just so many variables -- people with 790s get rejected... theres really no way to predict... I'd say think about where the GSB fits into your overall portfolio - is it one you'd really like to go to? Is the GMAT the only reason you wouldn't apply? Is your plan already full of other top schools? Would you look back and regret not applying? Personally, I'm an advocate of the whole 'better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all' line of thought, but I realize people have limited time / money / patience. If nothing else, come visit and see what you think.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks rhyme. Definitely planning to visit the school this summer...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
hey Ryhme, when are you hosting the student-meetup event? I can probably schedule something around then..gotta love GSB..its one of my dream schools..and you are living my dream haha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
hey Ryhme, when are you hosting the student-meetup event? I can probably schedule something around then..gotta love GSB..its one of my dream schools..and you are living my dream haha

https://admissions.chicagogsb.edu/admis ... p?sp=51570
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
SV6 wrote:
Thanks rhyme. Definitely planning to visit the school this summer...

Dont know why I was reading it but in a recent GSB Chat:

Quote:
G-95391449__Guest_: Joanne, I would like to know the range of GMAT scores you have for your actual accepted class, not only the average, but the whole range. Thank you

Joanne: Our statistics for this year's class are not yet complete. Our most recent range of scores is 640-760.

I think that's probably like an 80th% percentile or something, I know people with scores higher than 760.

edit: Yea looks like it is

Quote:
Nate: One doesn't need to score above 700 to be admitted. Our mid-80 percent range is roughly 660-760. If you feel a higher score would enhance your admissions application, then by all means take the test again. Please bear in mind, though, that the GMAT is only one factor in the evaluation process. All the best!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks again Rhyme. This is encouraging!!
I posted my profile in Admission COnsultants. When you get some time, can you plese take a look and let me know what you think about my chances?

24-t64773

I am planning to apply Wharton , ChicagoGSB, Duke, Kellogg, Cornell and Michigan

I might not be able to attend the Student Meet Event on July 25th. But if i visit the school in Aug 1st week, is it possible to get sometime to chat with you? I am specifically interested in HealthCare/Pharma Management program with Entreprenuership/SC/MC post mba. But my current WE is in IT though its in same industry. Meanwhile i am still figuring out the stastics of successful admits with this kind of profile in Healthcare management, same time not sure how good is this program in Chicago GSB as I just started researching various schools for this program.

Also, if i apply to HCM in chicago, is it still possible that i am evaluated for general admission even if my profile is not enough for HCM ?? More than Chicago, in general i want to know how this is evaluated in a bschool when a person applies to a subprogram...

Thanks a lot for your time..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Lots of questions! Lets tackle one thing at a time.

Quote:
I might not be able to attend the Student Meet Event on July 25th. But if i visit the school in Aug 1st week, is it possible to get sometime to chat with you?

I'm happy to meet but you should keep in mind:

1) NOBODY is on campus in August. I mean NOBODY. There are no classes, no professors, no students - you will have a much more meaningful and fun experience if you visit in October when classes are in session. Just something to keep in mind.

2) I work, so I might not be able to meet during the day.

Quote:
I am specifically interested in HealthCare/Pharma Management program with Entreprenuership/SC/MC post mba.

I'm a little confused. To the best of my knowledge the GSB does not offer a "Healthcare/Pharma Management program", nor does it offer such a concentration. Be sure to do your research! As for your goals, I'm not sure what SC is, but I guess you mean strategy consulting? If so, thats the same as management consulting.

So if I've understood you right, you want to stay in the healthcare industry but do management consulting within that space? Someone like say Sg2? (see https://www.sg2.com)? Just trying to get a good understanding of who you are thinking about. You can see a short list of some of the firms in the space (in general) that recruit at the GSB here: https://student.chicagogsb.edu/group/hea ... areers.htm

Quote:
Also, if i apply to HCM in chicago, is it still possible that i am evaluated for general admission even if my profile is not enough for HCM ?? More than Chicago, in general i want to know how this is evaluated in a bschool when a person applies to a subprogram...

Again, it sounds like you may have found a specific subprogram that I'm not familiar with and I couldn't seem to find. Questions like this are most generally best answered by someone in admissions. In general, from what I've seen, you are admitted into the GSB and what you do once you get in is up to you - so if you want to take some classes outside the school in healthcare, go for it. However, I'm not familiar with this program you mentioned so you may want to check / ask.

Quote:
I am planning to apply Wharton , ChicagoGSB, Duke, Kellogg, Cornell and Michigan

As for your profile and those targets, I'm afraid that Indian IT with a 680 is going to be a bit of a tough nut to crack. Wharton, Chicago and Kellogg certainly receive a ton of very qualified high GMAT scores from that demographic and Cornell and Michigan are probably more GMAT sensitive as they try to move up the ranks. That said, you had the advantage of being female, and that will help to some extent.... You will have to still craft a strong application.

As to your profile details, you mention:

Quote:
Reason for leaving: Not satisfied with my career growth even after 3 promotions in 2 yrs and had initial thoughts of MBA in plan. Felt I need some more broader perspective of pharma/healthcare industry and better management skills while dealing with business analysts.

I assume you are aware that you will need a better story for your essays right? You need a clear goal and a passion for something - not a dissatisfaction for your job. Think positive not negative.

As for your hobbies, I'd suggest you find something that isn't IT related. Designing Websites is a poor hobby for someone who is trying to leave IT and it really makes you sound one-dimensional. Your volunteer experiences sound like they might be interesting but its hard to tell how much of a leadership role you've taken on. Remember, its not just a question of volunteering, its also a question of leading

Overall I get the impression you have a solid background, but to stand out among a crowded Indian IT applicant base, you will need to seriously think about what makes you unique. I don't think its impossible to get into the schools you've mentioned, particularly given that you are female, but you will have to work hard to pull it off.

Happy to help anyway I can... gotta run to a bbq now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
First of all thanks for your valuable time and inputs rhyme!

Quote:
much more meaningful and fun experience if you visit in October when classes are in session.

But most of the school deadlines are in October. I am not sure whether i will have sufficient time to complete my essays. Is the school open till end of july?

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge the GSB does not offer a "Healthcare/Pharma Management program", nor does it offer such a concentration.

To begin with, I am following US news rankings and specializations. When i selected Healthcare Administration i see chicago gsb in that. For this program, I haven't specifically gathered anything from school website yet. I didn't see that its different from Healthcare management. Thanks for clarification. Anyways, i will do more research about this before i make my move. I meant SCorMC and not SC and MC. Will correct that for paul...

Update: Just got the link from school website...Its a certificate program offered in addition to the general MBA
https://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/acad ... icate.aspx

Quote:
As for your profile and those targets, I'm afraid that Indian IT with a 680 is going to be a bit of a tough nut to crack.

I know that i am targetting for highly unreachable. But i'll just give my best try. Planning to apply to 2 safest schools though........

Quote:
I assume you are aware that you will need a better story for your essays right? You need a clear goal and a passion for something - not a dissatisfaction for your job. Think positive not negative

I think i need to be more careful in my wording.. :shock: I have more details about my extra curricular activites where i really have taken some initiatives, which helped the foundation to raise significant amount of money..

Will it have any negative effect on my app if i give gmat one more time? I hope i am not wasting too much of your time. Believe me, this will be my last question..Thanks!

Enjoy your bbq............ :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  95