Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
Kudos
Alright, this has been beat to death in a few chats but to make sure this is captured here somewhere:

Kellogg is extremely generous with smaller scholarships. If you get one of the bigs, ie the named ones of 50-100% of your tuition they almost always let you know during your admit call. However tons of 5-15K ones are given out. These are given out when you apply for financial aid and are merit/need based. So if you are sponsored or worth 25 million you arent getting that 10k. Typically 55-60% of the class gets some scholarship, ranging from 5k to full tuition. Last year almost all of the people on GC got money ranging from 5k to 15k.

S0 timeline for scholarships
1) Get 50% or 100% tuition you get the info on the call (a very small number may get one later one if people turn it down).

No scholarship during the call:
1) Get your taxes done very early this year...no procrastinating. Go down to you your local HR Block the day you get your tax forms and get that done.
2) Do the FAFSA
3) Spend 30 minutes and fill out your financial aid form
4) Wait a few weeks and see what you get for an aid package (loans and scholarships)
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Thanks for detailing it out River!! +1
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Praetorian wrote:
how about having these discussions for admitted students in the b-school life thread? would that work for you guys?

"calling all admitted xyz school students" ..

thoughts?

That definitely works. Probably best to keep the main forum clean as people are discussing apps and admits!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Alright, this has been beat to death in a few chats but to make sure this is captured here somewhere:

Kellogg is extremely generous with smaller scholarships. If you get one of the bigs, ie the named ones of 50-100% of your tuition they almost always let you know during your admit call. However tons of 5-15K ones are given out. These are given out when you apply for financial aid and are merit/need based. So if you are sponsored or worth 25 million you arent getting that 10k. Typically 55-60% of the class gets some scholarship, ranging from 5k to full tuition. Last year almost all of the people on GC got money ranging from 5k to 15k.

S0 timeline for scholarships
1) Get 50% or 100% tuition you get the info on the call (a very small number may get one later one if people turn it down).

No scholarship during the call:
1) Get your taxes done very early this year...no procrastinating. Go down to you your local HR Block the day you get your tax forms and get that done.
2) Do the FAFSA
3) Spend 30 minutes and fill out your financial aid form
4) Wait a few weeks and see what you get for an aid package (loans and scholarships)

Kudos River!

Do you also have any how-to from an international perspective regardi aid packages?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Thanks for the info River.

Just curious - I was accepted by mail because they couldn't catch me (timezones). No mention of a scholarship. Should I assume no big one? (I have a decent salary so I wasn't really counting on one anyways).

Thanks,
Gil
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Show-offs. :x
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
I had the same question. Missed the call cause my cell phone battery was dead and there was no mention in the voicemail. Waiting to see if there is anything in the welcome letter/package.

I am a bit curious too about merit/need based monies. I mean I understand, the need part. All they have to do is look at tax filings, etc. Can't quite wrap my head around how they balance the "merit" part.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Honestly its not too hard to qualify for "need" my wife and I had a pretty high combined salaries and lots of assets. As for internationals, I dont really know the differences but you guys still will have to fill out financial aid stuff so you can get them to certify your loans...I assume they would let you know just the same.

If you got something named I assume they would have told you to call them for additional good news or something...but come on guys no getting greedy now :wink:

Kellogg's financial aid was a big point of complaint about DAK last year, they were so unclear about everything...I had to talk to other applicants and students to get all the info I could. However, a lot of people made similar complaints and there were multiple surveys sent to students this year about their experiences last year. I think the school was afraid it was going to cost them admitted students so this year hopefully there are big changes. If not and they still are pain in the asses, trust me its a lot easier than it looks and you wont care about them once you are here because you only will deal with them one more time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: venture capital
Send PM
Has anyone looked into travel arrangements for DAK yet?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
sll810 wrote:

I made my arrangements today, but they're pretty simple since I'm only coming from NJ. I got a United flight from Newark to O'Hare Thursday morning (to allow for the inevitable delays on NY-Chicago flights), return Sunday night. I had no problem reserving a room at the Hilton Garden Inn in Evanston.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
sll810 wrote:

I'm driving so it's pretty easy for me. I booked a room at the Hotel Orrington for 3 nights.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Since I still haven't gotten my admission materials and I missed the phone call, all I have is the e-mail confirming my admission and the positive status change on the website. I am dying of curiousity.

Can you guys tell me what the package includes? When is DAK (does that stand for day at Kellogg)? What is the planned schedule for DAK? Will there be another DAK before we matriculate or is this the only one? How is the admitted student website? (I can't wait to log on but still haven't received my username and pw).

I know I will have all therse answers in a few days, but international mail takes a few days and I am dying to dive into this:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Same here Gil, except my e-mail stated DAK will take place on Feb 6-8.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Real soon. Do you plan on attending?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Definitely looking into the trip, not easy though given the insane unpredictability of my job.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:
Same here Gil, except my e-mail stated DAK will take place on Feb 6-8.

There will be welcome happy hours on the night of Thursday, Feb 5 too.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Gil wrote:
Since I still haven't gotten my admission materials and I missed the phone call, all I have is the e-mail confirming my admission and the positive status change on the website. I am dying of curiousity.

Can you guys tell me what the package includes? When is DAK (does that stand for day at Kellogg)? What is the planned schedule for DAK? Will there be another DAK before we matriculate or is this the only one? How is the admitted student website? (I can't wait to log on but still haven't received my username and pw).

I know I will have all therse answers in a few days, but international mail takes a few days and I am dying to dive into this:)

I haven't received my package yet so I'm not sure what it includes. DAK official starts the morning of Feb 6th but there is a happy hour reception on Feb 5th at 8pm. The schedule is pretty full with financial aid seminars, mini-classes, meet and greets, intro to section life, housing info, etc. It ends late morning on Sunday with a few optional events. There is a DAK II on April 24-26. The admitted students website is pretty great. Lots of information regarding financial aid, preparing for the move, and becoming a Kellogg student. There is also a discussion forum however it's not very active at this moment. And the best part, you get access to your Kellogg email! :)

For reference, below is the schedule for DAK.

Thursday
8:00 PM Welcome Reception in Evanston (Optional)*
Come meet other DAK attendees and current students in a casual and relaxed environment in Evanston. The receptions will conclude around 10:00 PM, but feel free to come and go whenever you like.

Friday
7:00 AM Registration & Breakfast

8:00 AM Opening Ceremonies*
Receive your official welcome to Kellogg from Admissions Director Beth Flye and other members of the Kellogg community.

9:00 AM Academics at Kellogg
Learn about Kellogg's faculty, approach to learning, programs and majors.

10:00 AM Section Time
Meet other students in your section and get to know your section leaders.

11:00 AM Financial Aid Information Session
Housing Information Session
Tour of Kellogg Facilities
Coffee Chat with Current Students
iDAK

Attend the event of your choosing! These options will be offered three times during the weekend.

12:15 PM Professor Roundtable Lunches
Attend a topic-specific presentation and discussion hosted by a professor

2:00 PM Mini Classes
Experience the exceptional Kellogg professors and curriculum first-hand by attending two short class sessions with your section.

3:45 PM Section Time
Life at Kellogg & Club Experience

5:00 PM Kellogg Experience*
Discover what student life is really like at Kellogg
(JV's welcome!)

5:45 PM TG*
TG, short for “Thank Goodness it’s Friday,” is a great way for students to catch up with friends and relax after a rigorous week. Come mingle with current and admitted students while enjoying a Kellogg tradition.

7:30 PM Taste of Evanston*
Meet at McManus and go to dinner with a small group of admitted and current students at a local Evanston restaurant.

9:30 PM Experience Evanston (optional)*
Check out the local hang-outs, grab a drink, or find a cool coffee shop with admitted and current students.

Saturday
8:00 AM Continental Breakfast*

8:15 AM Financial Aid Information Session
Housing Information Session
Tour of Kellogg Facilities
Coffee Chat with Current Students
iDAK
Attend the event of your choosing!

9:00 AM Career Services Overview
Learn about the resources available through Kellogg's Career Management Center and how it can help you at Kellogg and beyond.

10:00 AM Section Time and Directory Photos
Scavenger Hunt

12:15 PM Career Break-out Lunches
Speak with current students about their summer internships; learn more about career options from the professional clubs.

2:00 PM Alumni Panel Discussion
Learn from alumni how their Kellogg experience has helped propel their careers.

3:00 PM "Welcome Address" by Dean Jain

3:45 PM Keynote Speaker

4:30 PM KWEST Fair

6:30 PM Leave Evanston for Chicago*
Don't worry about driving in the city! Meet in Evanston to take free buses into Chicago to attend the closing ceremonies.

7:00 PM Closing Ceremonies

10:00 PM Experience Chicago (optional)*

Sunday
10:00am Continental Breakfast & Housing Fair (optional)*
Come gather information from a group of apartment building in Evanston.

10:30am Housing/Campus Tours (optional)*
Optional tours of Evanston housing and/or the Northwestern campus.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  59