Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare Marketing
Schools:R1 - Kellogg, Tuck (W), Yale, Cornell, R2- Haas, Ross, R3 - Foster
 Q46  V37
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Re: Less applications in R2/R3 [#permalink]
I would love to see any facts, quotes, or specific school names to support this claim.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I don't know if gmatclub is representative of the applicant pool as a whole, but it seems to me R2 applicants are way down on this forum.

For example, Wharton R1 had 60+ people from gmatclub. Wharton R2 currently has 18.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mb ... =rss_daily
In this interview, the Darden admissions Director says that the app volume has more or less been flat.

Quote:
In the wake of the economic meltdown are you seeing as many applications as you did in the past?

We haven't seen much of a change in the total number of applications, but there has been a bit of a change in the makeup of the applications. We're seeing more people from the finance industry and fewer people from other industries
Manager
Manager
Send PM
And just to add, one school (not UE/E) recently contacted me and asked me to apply in R3, with an app fee waiver!

Though it might be common for schools outside the top 25 to do this, the fact that they are doing this NOW is surprising!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
zoinnk wrote:
I don't know if gmatclub is representative of the applicant pool as a whole, but it seems to me R2 applicants are way down on this forum.
For example, Wharton R1 had 60+ people from gmatclub. Wharton R2 currently has 18.

I was checking the threads for all the schools yesterday and except for Columbia, which has rolling ED/RD structure, the number of applicants in R2 are way down from R1. For instance, look at Kellogg, Stanford and Ross threads. Over the years applicants, especially from oversubscribed profiles, have been applying in R1 to have the best shot. But with the 'WL management' efforts at some schools, it seems that the average applicant (and by that I mean, not superstar) will get compared to R2 and possible R3. Maybe in a few years, the tide will reverse :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey guys.. maybe my firm is different from the norm but we have lot more applicants in R2 than R1 (roughly 10 vs. 4)

my theory is give this forum a cpl of months time, you will see some more R2 applicants chiming in..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Berkeley Haas
Send PM
RJ wrote:
Hello,

I thought I will share with you all what I have heard from admissions office of some of the top schools. It seems after the initial spike in first round, the application volume has fallen in R2 and R3 for most schools. In fact one of the admissions officers mentioned that this year last round would look very different from past years, they expect to admit more students in the last round. So all of you who are still thinking, perhaps there is still a chance. Good luck:)

RJ

I find it very hard to believe. For Kellogg the number of R2 apps is much more than the number of R1 apps received and I know for a "fact" from talking to an adcom member..Kellogg received only close to 2000 apps for R1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Haas, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford
 Q50  V41
Send PM
At Haas Super Saturday, the Director of Admissions said Haas Rd 1 apps were up 23% while Rd 2 apps were only up "slightly". He also said that he has spoken with most of the other top 10 schools and they are seeing the same trend.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
picking on Zoinnk's point..if GMClub is a bellweather of even if BW forum is a bellweather than R2 applicants look to be down.. I mean look at BW the chatter is quite less these days..

or maybe everyone was so pshyced and well prepared for an mba that they all submitted in R1
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
or maybe everyone was so pshyced and well prepared for an mba that they all submitted in R1

Or maybe everyone thought R2 was going to be crowded and submitted in R1. :)

If I look back now, I went for one of my R1 apps knowing fully well that it was not my best effort.
Wish I had held back and submitted in R2. :(
I wish I could live my life in hindsight. :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare Marketing
Schools:R1 - Kellogg, Tuck (W), Yale, Cornell, R2- Haas, Ross, R3 - Foster
 Q46  V37
Send PM
Well it is from talking with Tuck and Johnson adcom.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools:Cornell Johnson AMBA'10
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
I don’t know about others, but I heard the same thing from Johnson AdCom staff. We talked about it in length and came up with several reasons:

1. A large portions of R1 applicants are from the finance sector, which was hit hard long before the R1 deadlines, and the applicants hoped to ride out the recession in B schools and rushed to apply R1
2. Some younger people who had plans to apply begin to realize the recession probably will last longer. The economy may not recover if they graduate in 2011. They’ve decided to postpone their application for a couple years
3. Those who are unsure about the job market in 2011 decide to hold on their current jobs instead of going to school
4. Even without non-cosigner loans, a lot of international applicants applied R1 anyway, because they had confidence the world’s top B schools should have not problem securing a replacement. When they realize there will not be such a loan program this year, they lost faith and decide not to apply because they can’t afford anyway.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
enteraka wrote:
I don’t know about others, but I heard the same thing from Johnson AdCom staff. We talked about it in length and came up with several reasons:

4. Even without non-cosigner loans, a lot of international applicants applied R1 anyway, because they had confidence the world’s top B schools should have not problem securing a replacement. When they realize there will not be such a loan program this year, they lost faith and decide not to apply because they can’t afford anyway.

Quote:
I find it very hard to believe. For Kellogg the number of R2 apps is much more than the number of R1 apps received and I know for a "fact" from talking to an adcom member..Kellogg received only close to 2000 apps for R1.

If you put the two together, it makes sense. Kellogg is one of the few schools which is still offering non-cosignor loans to internationals. It is highly possible that schools offering non-cosignor loans are seeing increased International apps in R2 but other schools aren't.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
enteraka wrote:
2. Some younger people who had plans to apply begin to realize the recession probably will last longer. The economy may not recover if they graduate in 2011. They’ve decided to postpone their application for a couple years
3. Those who are unsure about the job market in 2011 decide to hold on their current jobs instead of going to school.

These have been the primary drivers of my lack of applications this year (along with my natural slant towards laziness).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
picking on Zoinnk's point..if GMClub is a bellweather of even if BW forum is a bellweather than R2 applicants look to be down.. I mean look at BW the chatter is quite less these days..

If using Gclub roll call stat to support the above claim, the logic won't work. R2 app numbers will be less compared to R1 apps because:

Number of Gclub members participating in this year's application pool is limited. If there are 100 people applying for bschool this year, and I would say at least 70 to 90 percent of us have at least one admit from 1st round.....and out of this pool (70 to 90%), at least half of us are happy with one of our admits from R1, of course R2 applicants in this forum is going to be less compared to R1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Just had brunch with my friend who is a first-year at HBS. She's pretty involved with admissions and confirms that R2 apps are actually down. R1 apps were up ~25%, enough for HBS to have considered expanding the class size by 10% for this year. However, R2 apps were down enough that the idea was scrapped, and admissions will be shooting for the usual target size of 900.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
zoinnk wrote:
Just had brunch with my friend who is a first-year at HBS. She's pretty involved with admissions and confirms that R2 apps are actually down. R1 apps were up ~25%, enough for HBS to have considered expanding the class size by 10% for this year. However, R2 apps were down enough that the idea was scrapped, and admissions will be shooting for the usual target size of 900.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the insight.

I wonder if this is true for other schools - I remember hearing that Kellogg's R1 apps were up quite a bit, wonder what their R2 was like?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2