Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1050 Problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1050 Problem!!!!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 08:08
Hi;
I just want to ask a question about 1050 equality.Im from Turkey and I finished Dept. of Statistics last July.I just called my university in Turkey and they told me that my GPA is 2.4552 The school Im applying requares the 1050 equality (( GPA x 200 + GMAT = 1050 )) or 3.25 GPA.But in Dept. of Statistics if you can succeed to have a 3.00 GPA,they would type your name with golden letters in History. :( And now with 2.4552 GPA,I have to get 558.91 on GMAT and I know it's not possible for now.My native language is not English and Verbal section just kills me.I do not have a problem with Quantativ section but Verbal.
The thing I want to ask is; is it an unbreakable rule that I have to have 1050 to get in the school?If I get something around 500-530 on GMAT,will I just throw all my hopes away and retake the GMAT again and again?till I get 558.
I visited the school last Friday and the Dr. I talked with in Dept. of Accounting told me that he took some of the classes I took when he was having his Ph.D degree.I took those classes when I was having my undergraduate degree.Does it matter? Would it help the administrators to accept me or will I hit the 1050 wall????
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8808 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 1050 Problem!!!!!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 19:50
Expert's post
The Matrix wrote:
Hi;
I just want to ask a question about 1050 equality.Im from Turkey and I finished Dept. of Statistics last July.I just called my university in Turkey and they told me that my GPA is 2.4552 The school Im applying requares the 1050 equality (( GPA x 200 + GMAT = 1050 )) or 3.25 GPA.But in Dept. of Statistics if you can succeed to have a 3.00 GPA,they would type your name with golden letters in History. :( And now with 2.4552 GPA,I have to get 558.91 on GMAT and I know it's not possible for now.My native language is not English and Verbal section just kills me.I do not have a problem with Quantativ section but Verbal.
The thing I want to ask is; is it an unbreakable rule that I have to have 1050 to get in the school?If I get something around 500-530 on GMAT,will I just throw all my hopes away and retake the GMAT again and again?till I get 558.
I visited the school last Friday and the Dr. I talked with in Dept. of Accounting told me that he took some of the classes I took when he was having his Ph.D degree.I took those classes when I was having my undergraduate degree.Does it matter? Would it help the administrators to accept me or will I hit the 1050 wall????

Personally, that's the first time I hear about the 1050 rule.
Are there any essays/interview involved?
They may have accepted this policy so that it would be easier to say NO, which is the best guess I have.

Can you push for 550-600?
By the way, If you have good math (49-51), you should be able to pull off 550 only with that and some minimal verbal score... .
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 21:31
Every school has this equality,pal.Thats why I was wondering.The rule is your GPA should be 3.25 or the total of GPA x 200 + GMAT = 1050 I have a couple B-School guide books and they all say the same thing.Btw,if you are right (( Im sure you are)) and if it is really possible to get something around 550 just by Math,I cried for nothing all those nights. :( :oops: Cause I applied for Fall season and I will take a couple undergraduate calles in June and July.The Dr. said I can just go ahead and take undergraduate classes and keep taking GMAT till I have enough score.The school Im applying is Pittsburg State University.If you have any idea or advice,please let me know.My Verbal is not a huge zero.Just not as good as Math.I get something around 20% Verbal and 70% Quant. in my practice tests.I took Kaplan's 2 tests in Cd-Rom and 1 test in Barron's Cd-Rom,and those percentages are average.Do you think I can something around 550 with those percentages?I hope so. :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 21:42
Expert's post
The Matrix wrote:
Every school has this equality,pal.Thats why I was wondering.The rule is your GPA should be 3.25 or the total of GPA x 200 + GMAT = 1050 I have a couple B-School guide books and they all say the same thing.Btw,if you are right (( Im sure you are)) and if it is really possible to get something around 550 just by Math,I cried for nothing all those nights. :( :oops: Cause I applied for Fall season and I will take a couple undergraduate calles in June and July.The Dr. said I can just go ahead and take undergraduate classes and keep taking GMAT till I have enough score.The school Im applying is Pittsburg State University.If you have any idea or advice,please let me know.My Verbal is not a huge zero.Just not as good as Math.I get something around 20% Verbal and 70% Quant. in my practice tests.I took Kaplan's 2 tests in Cd-Rom and 1 test in Barron's Cd-Rom,and those percentages are average.Do you think I can something around 550 with those percentages?I hope so. :)

Well, perhaps you are right about the equation but I just thought there were minimums for GPA and GMAT :?

Basically, it is easier for you to increase your Math Score. I would just get Kaplan's Math Workbook and run thgough it a few hours several times a week. Make sure it is not less than 1-1.5 hours. It is better to keep working in a nice period of time.

Finally, get some fiction books to read to help you out with style and a feeling for language - this will help improve your reading/writing skills at least somewhat.

You can get 570 by scoring 49 or 48 in math and 23 in verbal. If my memory serves me right. At least that's what one of my friends got.

I have been to Pittsburg once; I liked the city very much. I like the restuarant on top of the hill where the funicular runs - nice view. I had a friend who went to Duquesne; she was very smart but had only 460 on the GMAT - she studied 3 days. She got admitted with a scholarship I believe. I am not sure right now since it was quite a while ago.

Why are you taking undergrad classes?

-=-
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 21:43
Expert's post
bb wrote:
The Matrix wrote:

Well, perhaps you are right about the equation but I just thought there were minimums for GPA and GMAT :?

Basically, it is easier for you to increase your Math Score. I would just get Kaplan's Math Workbook and run thgough it a few hours several times a week. Make sure it is not less than 1-1.5 hours. It is better to keep working in a nice period of time.

I assume you have to take TOEFL unless you went to undergrad in the US, so if you have to take that, you will be brushing up grammar anyway, so you will improve your GMAT SC as well. I used CLIFF's toefl guide for my GMAT grammar.

Finally, get some fiction books to read to help you out with style and a feeling for language - this will help improve your reading/writing skills at least somewhat.

You can get 570 by scoring 49 or 48 in math and 23 in verbal. If my memory serves me right. At least that's what one of my friends got.

I have been to Pittsburg once; I liked the city very much. I like the restuarant on top of the hill where the funicular runs - nice view. I had a friend who went to Duquesne; she was very smart, good GPA, good essays, and good experience but had only 460 on the GMAT - she studied 3 days. She got admitted with a scholarship I believe. I am not sure right now since it was quite a while ago.

Why are you taking undergrad classes?

-=-
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 22:18
Im a perminant Resident,pal.My wife is an American and Im from Turkey.I just moved to US in last October.and Fortunatelly,Pitt State does not require TOEFL if the applicant is a perminant resident.So my TOEFL problem is solved. :)
Undergraduate classes;I translated my undergraduate classes that I took at the university in Turkey.The Doctor I had appoitment in Dept. of Accounting looked at the list and marked some of them.Then gave me a list that has the classes I need to take before Graduate study.For example,there is a class called Tax research in Graduate Dept.But I need to take Business taxation class with undergraduate students first.Cause I didnt take any class like that in my university.If my scanner worked,I'd scan the list and email it to you.with undergraduate classes I will have to take 39 credits at the first year.As you can guess,it could be so hard to study in all of them.So I just want to take the undergraduate classes in summer school and get rid of them as soon as possible.In June and July I will take around 12 credits,so the first year will be easier.The seacond year,there are 22 credits I will take.
The Dr. sounded like I should worry about GMAT that much.It is important but if the other requirements are fine,they may not notice my score that much.Just the other dr. I talked with scared me.He sounded like ''This is our rule,conform it or there is the door'' :(
I just have a really bad habit.If I study something I dont like((Verbal)),I just keep taking breaks in every 10 mins. and those breaks are around 20 mins.But if I study something I do love((Math)),no force can get me apart from my desk.
As I explained,this is my history.I trust my Math.I dont know.I just love playing with numbers.I will get Kaplan's Math workbook tomm. and start fighting with it..and the only thing I can do for Verbal is try to solve the questions in Kaplan's Cd-Rom.I just hope somethings get better.
What do you think about me?Do you think I can make it?
Btw,what is 48-49 in Math and 23 in Verbal?They arent pecentages I think.But I have never been able to understand what they are.All the time I use percentages.Can you tell me what percentages are they equal?

Thanks for your concern.I appreciate it. :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 22:22
...The Dr. sounded like I should NOT worry about GMAT...
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 22:31
Expert's post
The Matrix wrote:
Im a perminant Resident,pal.My wife is an American and Im from Turkey.I just moved to US in last October.and Fortunatelly,Pitt State does not require TOEFL if the applicant is a perminant resident.So my TOEFL problem is solved. :)
Undergraduate classes;I translated my undergraduate classes that I took at the university in Turkey.The Doctor I had appoitment in Dept. of Accounting looked at the list and marked some of them.Then gave me a list that has the classes I need to take before Graduate study.For example,there is a class called Tax research in Graduate Dept.But I need to take Business taxation class with undergraduate students first.Cause I didnt take any class like that in my university.If my scanner worked,I'd scan the list and email it to you.with undergraduate classes I will have to take 39 credits at the first year.As you can guess,it could be so hard to study in all of them.So I just want to take the undergraduate classes in summer school and get rid of them as soon as possible.In June and July I will take around 12 credits,so the first year will be easier.The seacond year,there are 22 credits I will take.
The Dr. sounded like I should worry about GMAT that much.It is important but if the other requirements are fine,they may not notice my score that much.Just the other dr. I talked with scared me.He sounded like ''This is our rule,conform it or there is the door'' :(
I just have a really bad habit.If I study something I dont like((Verbal)),I just keep taking breaks in every 10 mins. and those breaks are around 20 mins.But if I study something I do love((Math)),no force can get me apart from my desk.
As I explained,this is my history.I trust my Math.I dont know.I just love playing with numbers.I will get Kaplan's Math workbook tomm. and start fighting with it..and the only thing I can do for Verbal is try to solve the questions in Kaplan's Cd-Rom.I just hope somethings get better.
What do you think about me?Do you think I can make it?
Btw,what is 48-49 in Math and 23 in Verbal?They arent pecentages I think.But I have never been able to understand what they are.All the time I use percentages.Can you tell me what percentages are they equal?

Thanks for your concern.I appreciate it. :)

the 49-51 are the raw scores; they correspond to 88th and 92 percentile. Here is the link to the guide that contains all the stats: gmat-faq-frequently-asked-questions-about-gmat-75809.html
It should satisfy all needs for percentile/score conversion

As to hope; sure. If you like math, you can storm through the book in a week or two and be much better. Just remember to mark the questions that you keep getting wrong so that you could review them. Your math love can save you :) if you make sure you get above 88th percentile.
I am pretty sure you will make, esp. if they have given you a list of classes that you will need to take in addition...

Sounds like they got you a bunch of classes to take though. Is this a masters/PhD in Accounting or MBA? Sounds like master's in accounting ...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2003, 08:14
Yes,It's MBA in Accounting.I'm already planning to have a Ph.D degree as soon as MBA is over.
It's one of the problems,pal.I still couldn't decide what to do.Either go take English classes in collage or go take Kaplan's GMAT classes.I will start taking a couple undergraduate classes in Pitt State in June and July.The classes I didn't take in Turkey.So in order to take graduate classes in Accounting,first I need to take a couple classes with undergraduate students in Accounting Dept.,and the school doesn't require GMAT for these classes.Therefore,at some point I'm thinking if I take those classes in June-July,I will also be improving my English and after those classes if I take GMAT,I guess it won't be a problem to get something around 550 in GMAT.As I mentioned before,I don't have any prob. with Math,but Verbal.Do you know anything about whether the school won't take my GPA as it will come from Turkey?What/How will they calculate a new GPA,IF they do?

I've got to do somethings right away,I just don't know what to do for now.What would your suggession would be?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2003, 23:22
Expert's post
The Matrix wrote:
Yes,It's MBA in Accounting.I'm already planning to have a Ph.D degree as soon as MBA is over.
It's one of the problems,pal.I still couldn't decide what to do.Either go take English classes in collage or go take Kaplan's GMAT classes.I will start taking a couple undergraduate classes in Pitt State in June and July.The classes I didn't take in Turkey.So in order to take graduate classes in Accounting,first I need to take a couple classes with undergraduate students in Accounting Dept.,and the school doesn't require GMAT for these classes.Therefore,at some point I'm thinking if I take those classes in June-July,I will also be improving my English and after those classes if I take GMAT,I guess it won't be a problem to get something around 550 in GMAT.As I mentioned before,I don't have any prob. with Math,but Verbal.Do you know anything about whether the school won't take my GPA as it will come from Turkey?What/How will they calculate a new GPA,IF they do?

I've got to do somethings right away,I just don't know what to do for now.What would your suggession would be?

Hey sorry about the dealy. I had a busy day and market the message as read so it did not jumped out at me as new and requiring reply later.

Just to ask you real fast, they have calculated your GPA correctly, right?(5 =A= 4, 4=b=3, etc).

As to the classes, I am really surprised. I have not heard about requiring people to take classes before the program except for a Stats class or some computer classes maybe, but your English should improve for sure.

If you are looking into some prep classes such as Kaplan, i had a friend who improved 160 points but she worked her butt off and was bad in math rather than verbal. Thier average improvement is 60 points I believe. I had another friend who did not improve much and did not think it was cool, but she did not seem like a open minded person.

anyway, there is a link in the prep services section on the links page that has a prep service that guarantees 600 points or your money back. It sounds like a good deal to me. You may want to research it.

That's quite weird though that they require you to take classes without admitting you. I would assume they would first adimt you and then ask for class-work....

I think they would re-calculate your GPA to incorporate the new classes into it; you would have taken them, andthey would be US classes and more valid than Turkish ones. Thus, if you get a 4.0 or 3.5 GPA, you could ditch your Turkish one.....
I am pretty sure.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2003, 10:00
Yes.Your guess is right.They are waiting for my transcript from Turkey to admit me.At least,thats what I felt from what they sounded.They said I can start taking those undergraduate classes in June-July.One of the doctors I talked (( the one who was so not nice)) said they will wait for my GMAT.I will keep taking it while I take classes in university.I will keep taking it until I have enough GMAT..or they will look my new GPA that I will make in this school.So the things you mentioned will come true I guess.Either They will just re-calculate a GPA thats based on my real GPA from Turkey or they will take my GPA I will make here as a real GPA.But after those classes,Im really not scared of GMAT at all.All I need is vocabulary anyway and I believe they will give me enough.At least,I won't be stranger to the reading passages or the main thought they imply.
I just got a respond in Businessweek message board.A guy says they will re-calculate my GPA.I hope he is right.
Thanks for your concern,pal.I appreciate it.It's just such a huge luck that we prepearing for a war((GMAT)) have adviser who got out of that war with a huge success.

Take care of yourself..See you.. :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2003, 19:01
Expert's post
The Matrix wrote:
Yes.Your guess is right.They are waiting for my transcript from Turkey to admit me.At least,thats what I felt from what they sounded.They said I can start taking those undergraduate classes in June-July.One of the doctors I talked (( the one who was so not nice)) said they will wait for my GMAT.I will keep taking it while I take classes in university.I will keep taking it until I have enough GMAT..or they will look my new GPA that I will make in this school.So the things you mentioned will come true I guess.Either They will just re-calculate a GPA thats based on my real GPA from Turkey or they will take my GPA I will make here as a real GPA.But after those classes,Im really not scared of GMAT at all.All I need is vocabulary anyway and I believe they will give me enough.At least,I won't be stranger to the reading passages or the main thought they imply.
I just got a respond in Businessweek message board.A guy says they will re-calculate my GPA.I hope he is right.
Thanks for your concern,pal.I appreciate it.It's just such a huge luck that we prepearing for a war((GMAT)) have adviser who got out of that war with a huge success.

Take care of yourself..See you.. :)

Good luck!
If they have suggested all this work for you, I think they have decided they will admit you if you are committed - that is if you do the work, you are in. In case if you decided that it is too much effort you would have eliminated yourself. I guess that's a pretty smart choice - they have put the decision into your own hands wihtout even letting you know that :)
  [#permalink] 14 Mar 2003, 19:01