Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

11 Days to GMAT - advice all around?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

11 Days to GMAT - advice all around? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 18:43
Hey Guys,

It's 11 days to the GMAT. I posted a while back that I was performing fairly well on diagnostics. After my 3 initial scores (720, 740 kaplan, 750 gmatprep), I took a break. A week or so ago I took 2 more tests - might have been hungover (670 (50th percentile math!) kaplan 670 mgmat). I felt completely out of wack, so I got scared, buckled down, refocused, and studied for the past few days, recently took 2 more tests (730 mgmat, 760 gmatprep 1 again, with some repeat questions).

1st, does anyone have any read on these scores? My goal is 760+, but don't know how to interpret these scores. I saw a significantly drop in my ability to do math (I think I'm getting in my own head and now running out of time). For example, I missed 12/37 math problems on my way to a 48 math/760 on the gmatprep recently.
My CR and RC are good enough when I concentrate, but on all of the more recent tests I missed 50%+ sentence corrections.

I have 4 resources for study Princeton Review (skimmed most of it), MGMAT Sentence Correction (skimmed), OG 10, and OG 12.

Can people critique my last 1.5 week study strategy?
Take practice test at least every other day: 4 MGMAT, 1 Kaplan, GMAT Prep 2 (and gmatprep from 2005 if that's different).
Do only hard questions from OG 10 (basically through SC, 2/2 through PS/DS)
Do MGMAT SC with OG 12 all the way through
Do every other problem in OG 12.
---This entails at least 6 hours a day, (1 practice test + 60 questions or 100-150 problems with no test)

Another Question: what does "hard" mean in the OG categorization? I find them much easier than what I encounter in practice tests and am missing them at much lesser pace. I'm missing less than 10% of sentence correction after some study and roughly 12% of questions on ps/ds (virtually perfect on RC and CR). These are significantly lower numbers than I've been missing OVERALL on tests, and I'm only tackling "hard" problems. Does "hard" encompass the 700+ level questions?

Sorry for the long post - just curious if people have feedback on any portion of my GMAT prep:
-Score predictions
-Study Plan
-Question quantities
-Expectations based on OG questions
-Should I take gmat prep 2005 versions?
anything else

Thanks!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden (R1), Duke (R1), Kellogg 1Y (R1), Berkeley MBA/MPH (R2), Wharton (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 27

Re: 11 Days to GMAT - advice all around? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
You asked for all around advice....once you finish studying the night before...that's it. Don't stress yourself out trying to remember last minute formulas. You've put a lot of effort in to it. Trust the work you've done. Staying calm is worth it. Also, I dressed up to go take the test. That always puts me in the right frame of mind for taking the test.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: 11 Days to GMAT - advice all around? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 09:18
shammokando wrote:
Hey Guys,

It's 11 days to the GMAT. I posted a while back that I was performing fairly well on diagnostics. After my 3 initial scores (720, 740 kaplan, 750 gmatprep), I took a break. A week or so ago I took 2 more tests - might have been hungover (670 (50th percentile math!) kaplan 670 mgmat). I felt completely out of wack, so I got scared, buckled down, refocused, and studied for the past few days, recently took 2 more tests (730 mgmat, 760 gmatprep 1 again, with some repeat questions).

1st, does anyone have any read on these scores? My goal is 760+, but don't know how to interpret these scores. I saw a significantly drop in my ability to do math (I think I'm getting in my own head and now running out of time). For example, I missed 12/37 math problems on my way to a 48 math/760 on the gmatprep recently.
My CR and RC are good enough when I concentrate, but on all of the more recent tests I missed 50%+ sentence corrections.

I have 4 resources for study Princeton Review (skimmed most of it), MGMAT Sentence Correction (skimmed), OG 10, and OG 12.

Can people critique my last 1.5 week study strategy?
Take practice test at least every other day: 4 MGMAT, 1 Kaplan, GMAT Prep 2 (and gmatprep from 2005 if that's different).
Do only hard questions from OG 10 (basically through SC, 2/2 through PS/DS)
Do MGMAT SC with OG 12 all the way through
Do every other problem in OG 12.
---This entails at least 6 hours a day, (1 practice test + 60 questions or 100-150 problems with no test)

Another Question: what does "hard" mean in the OG categorization? I find them much easier than what I encounter in practice tests and am missing them at much lesser pace. I'm missing less than 10% of sentence correction after some study and roughly 12% of questions on ps/ds (virtually perfect on RC and CR). These are significantly lower numbers than I've been missing OVERALL on tests, and I'm only tackling "hard" problems. Does "hard" encompass the 700+ level questions?

Sorry for the long post - just curious if people have feedback on any portion of my GMAT prep:
-Score predictions
-Study Plan
-Question quantities
-Expectations based on OG questions
-Should I take gmat prep 2005 versions?
anything else

Thanks!!

Give more time on revision of what you have learnt do far and don't try to pick up new topic now. Revision and practice are keys to success.

Click on kudos, if you like my post!

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 11 Days to GMAT - advice all around? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 14:18
just wanted to echo the points already stated - namely, don't stress yourself out. you clearly know the material, it's just a matter of having a calm head on the test day so that you can put your thoughts into action.

i'd take a few more practice tests (every other day sounds good) so that you can get into the flow timing-wise. dont overdo it trying to cram a ton more knowledge, though. if i were you i'd just go through MGMAT SC and do a practice test every other day. only go to the OG problems if you spot a weakness during your tests (for example, you consistently find you're getting geometry problems wrong, etc.).

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: 11 Days to GMAT - advice all around? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 17:26
mba4me2010 wrote:
You asked for all around advice....once you finish studying the night before...that's it. Don't stress yourself out trying to remember last minute formulas. You've put a lot of effort in to it. Trust the work you've done. Staying calm is worth it. Also, I dressed up to go take the test. That always puts me in the right frame of mind for taking the test.

Good advice.

Your frame of mind right before and during the test is key. Of course, by telling you this we risk getting you to overthink it... I don't know your personal situation, (e,g. outside pressure to do well, backup plan feasibility if you do not meet your goals) but for me I just kind of put any thoughts of achieving a huge score or failing or whatever out of my mind.

I got a good sleep the night before, and had a good full breakfast. I got to the place early and enjoyed the crisp morning air (it was February, I think). I went in and wrote, took advantage of 1 of the 2 breaks and did not allow myself to freak out or get worried if I was getting caught up on a question.

All this is easier said than done of course. For most (all) people your GMAT score is not a life or death situation. Relax, and good luck!

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: 11 Days to GMAT - advice all around? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 19:44
dalmba wrote:
mba4me2010 wrote:

Good advice.

Your frame of mind right before and during the test is key. Of course, by telling you this we risk getting you to overthink it... I don't know your personal situation, (e,g. outside pressure to do well, backup plan feasibility if you do not meet your goals) but for me I just kind of put any thoughts of achieving a huge score or failing or whatever out of my mind.

I got a good sleep the night before, and had a good full breakfast. I got to the place early and enjoyed the crisp morning air (it was February, I think). I went in and wrote, took advantage of 1 of the 2 breaks and did not allow myself to freak out or get worried if I was getting caught up on a question.

All this is easier said than done of course. For most (all) people your GMAT score is not a life or death situation. Relax, and good luck!

Good luck man!

Click on kudos, if you like my post!

Re: 11 Days to GMAT - advice all around?   [#permalink] 11 May 2010, 19:44