Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 12:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 150 [2] , given: 92

13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

32% (01:58) correct 68% (00:21) wrong based on 46 sessions
Hi CEO, very useful material
The only thing is too many THANKS and BLA BLA posts. Sorry pals.
I have 13 problems and it's too difficult to find any explanation here. So, sorry for the possible repetition.
If anyone is confident of all questions, please help me to answer them.

I will post you best (the most clearest from my point) answers after questions (RED)
1) That the new managing editor rose from the publications soft news sections to a leadership position is more of a landmark in the industry than her being a woman.
A. her being a woman (I chose this option)
B. being a woman is
C. her womanhood
D. that she was a woman
E. that she is a woman (correct one)
isn't being a woman an equivalent to landmark? I was hesitating between this answers, but couldn't confidence myself that E better. Please help.

you're not comparing landmark to being a woman.

The sentence reads

That the new managing editor rose from the publications soft news sections to a leadership position is more of a landmark in the industry than that she is a woman [is a landmark in the industry]

So the parallelism is between the action and she is a woman. These two are the landmarks in the industry.

5)A decade after initiating the nation's most comprehensive and aggressive antismoking program, per capita consumption of cigarettes in California declined from over 125 packs annually per person to about 60, a drop more than twice as great as in the nation as a whole.

A. per capita consumption of cigarettes in California declined from over 125 packs annually per person to about 60, a drop more than twice as great as
B. annual per capita consumption of cigarettes in California declined from over 125 packs to about 60, more than twice as great as that (I chose)
C. California's annual per capita consumption of cigarettes declined from over 125 packs per person to about 60, more than twice as great as the drop
D. California has seen per capita consumption of cigarettes decline from over 125 packs annually to about 60, a drop more than twice as great as that (right one)
E. California has seen annual per capita consumption of cigarettes decline from over 125 packs per person to about 60, more than twice as great as that
Although B) looks strange with “more than twice as great as that”, D) was among the most unattractive because of “California has seen”. Can any Guru help me to understand?

point here is that 'who is initiating the nation's most comprehensive and aggressive antismoking program', it is california and not ' per capita consumption of cigarettes in California' therefore, only D and E meet the criterion.. however E in saying 'annual per capita consumption of cigarettes decline from over 125 packs per person to about 60' uses per person unnecessary when per capita onveys the msg

10)According to Henry David Thoreau, the reason a majority is allowed to rule is not that it is more likely to be right, but because it is stronger.
(A) the reason a majority is allowed to rule is not that it is more likely to be right, but because it is stronger
(B) a majority is allowed to rule not because it is more likely to be right, but because it is stronger (the right one)
(C) the reason for majority rule is not because they are more likely to be right, they are stronger
(D) the majority is allowed to rule because of its strength, not because it is more likely to be right
(E) the reason why the majority rules is that it is strong, not because it is likely to be right (my choice)

Ooo this question took me about 10 min to make it wrong ))), B)’s problems: 1.passive voice, 2. Stronger? Why stronger, not strong? I thought that it should be || to RIGHT.
I agree that E) also have problems like THE MAJORITY. So how to choose?

11).Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been (right)
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being (my)
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

again llism ' having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.' having, for example........ having been...... b is not correct for the above mentioned reason and also because being does not convey what having been conveys ie one incident is over and this has led to patient not responding later on..

21.Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.
a). imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend (my)
b). imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
c). that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
d). that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, and spending (right one)
e). that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

I chose A) because IMPOSING || to REQUIRING and SEE || to SPEND
d) AND SPENDING ? why ..ing?

23.Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(A) Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(B) Added to the increase in hourly wages which had been requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(C) The railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits added to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July. (my)
(D) In addition to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(E) In addition to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits. (Right)

A and B have a phrase'Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July' wrongly modifying the rail road employees....
C corrects it but introduces another error in 'the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July'... if u look carefully it is the increase which is requested therefore ' increase in hourly wages that was requested' may have been correct but then 'that' wrongly relates to 'hourly wages'...
D and E correct modifier by changing phrase to clause however D repeats the mistake 'that were' as in C..
therefore E is the ans

26.A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could, (my)
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could (right one)
(E) think the power stations would or could

A,B and C are wrong because 'view ...... but think that......,' is must ,all 3 omit think ..
in E think is put but that is omitted...
only D is ok however it 'also' is not w/o fault as they could refer to 'A majority of the international journalists' or 'nuclear power stations' it would have been better if they was replaced with the power stations .
anyone who does not agree pl let me know.....

30.Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886 did not mean that he also won the loyalty of its citizens: the invading Danes were well aware of this weakness and used it to their advantage in 893.
(A) Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886 did not mean that he (my)
(B) The fact that King Alfred had occupied and fortified London in 886 did not mean that he had (right)
(C) Just because King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean he
(D) The fact that King Alfred occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean that he
(E) Just because King Alfred had occupied and fortified London in 886, it did not mean he

b)What for perfect is used “he had also won”?

31.A year advantage in a new computer product or process being introduced can give a company a significant edge on its competitors.
a A year advantage in a new computer product or process being introduced
b. Introducing a new computer product or process by a year earlier
c. A year's advantage to introduce a new computer product or process
d. To introduce a new computer product or process by a year earlier (right)
e. Being a year ahead in introducing a new computer product or process (mine)

Why d?

50.At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.
(A) land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards (right)
(B) land, a form of ownership of the pre-Columbians and respected by the Spaniards
(C) land, respected by the Spaniards and a pre-Columbian form of ownership
(D) land in which a pre-Columbian form of ownership was respected by the Spaniards
(E) land that had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards (my wrong)

a)land, to what- this part really confuse me.
e) I liked it, perfect, land that.
Why A) is better?

answer
in E "that" is modifying land
A is right because proposed return to ----, to what had ----------
here what = "communal ownership of land"
hope this helps.

54.There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.
A generated through wind power now than it was
B. generated through wind power now as it was (mine)
C. generated through wind power now as was the case (right one)
D. now generated through wind power as it was
E. now generated through wind power than was the case

I see B) as a perfect choice, as much energy is …. , as it was… Help me to see C’s advantage.

60.The computer software being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education will not only meet the needs of that study, but also has the versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.
(A) but also has the versatility and power of facilitating (mine)
(B) but also have the versatility and power to facilitate (right)
(C) but it also has the versatility and power to facilitate
(D) and also have the versatility and power of facilitating
(E) and it also has such versatility and power that it can facilitate

a)computer software …… also has…. . Or computer software is plural? In Lingvo dictionary it’s singular. (((

70.The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A)which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(B)which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed
(C)which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing
(D)determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed (mine)
(E)determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing (right one)

It’s very interesting question. Why E is better than D?

If anyone have additional question from Brutal collection please post it (with its number).

And here below is a mind relaxing puzzle for my friends.

it's an addition, using column method. Every letter is an distinguished number, if letters are different, so are the numers
Find out the amount of MONEY

Attachments

send.jpg
send.jpg [ 4.1 KiB | Viewed 20951 times ]

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Last edited by Ayrish on 19 Oct 2009, 04:33, edited 7 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 4

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions (need help) [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
here are my thoughts

Q1,
Being indicates that something is temporary and does not happen all the time
ex: Ron is being careful -meaning he is not always careful
but at this particlar instanc he is
so being woman is wrong

Q5 you have to mention right after the comma, who initiated the action
and also "a drop " after the second comma clarifies that more than twice
is talking about drop in cigarette usage
that in "as great as that" is clearly a substitute for "drop" in the rest of the nation

Q10 Clearly B is following parallelism concept in Not... but... construction

in E - Majority rules is changing the meaning and purpose
"is allowed" , passive voice, construction is ok but we dont know
who is doing that action and it is not important to know who is doing that
"Stronger" is ok because we are comapring majority with minority
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
1. That the new managing editor rose [color=#FF0000]from [/color]the publications soft news sections to a leadership position is more of a landmark in the industry than her being a woman.

A. her being a woman
B. being a woman is
C. her womanhood
D. that she was a woman
E. that she is a woman

i want to know why E is the right choice. Here's my reasoning
THAT THE NEW ME... this should have a parallel antecendent.... THAT SHE
ROSE.... parallel verb should be...IS
why IS? because SHE ROSE denotes a point in time and IS 'cause she still is a woman (also IS MORE tells us its all in present time.)

there was a time i was so good i was great & now im struggling with gmat

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 04:26
I think that if you create a post for each question, it will be easier to collect the explanations. Just a thought ...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 92

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 04:47
The problem is that here is no opportunity to answer concrete post and put it exactly after it (only one by one).(((

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 199 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
That the new managing editor rose from the publications soft news sections to a leadership position is more of a landmark in the industry than her being a woman.
A. her being a woman (I chose this option)
B. being a woman is
C. her womanhood
D. that she was a woman
E. that she is a woman (correct one)

you're not comparing landmark to being a woman.

The sentence reads

That the new managing editor rose from the publications soft news sections to a leadership position is more of a landmark in the industry than that she is a woman [is a landmark in the industry]

So the parallelism is between the action and she is a woman. These two are the landmarks in the industry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 07:15
ans for 1):- that is reqd after than for llism... equivalence is to be between 'That the new managing editor rose' and 'that she is a woman'

5) point here is that 'who is initiating the nation's most comprehensive and aggressive antismoking program', it is california and not ' per capita consumption of cigarettes in California' therefore, only D and E meet the criterion.. however E in saying 'annual per capita consumption of cigarettes decline from over 125 packs per person to about 60' uses per person unnecessary when per capita onveys the msg

10) only B gives llism 'not because.....but because.....' and stronger is right asit llels more likely

11) again llism ' having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.' having, for example........ having been...... b is not correct for the above mentioned reason and also because being does not convey what having been conveys ie one incident is over and this has led to patient not responding later on..
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
21) here 'that impose' is better than 'imposing' as 'that' relates to the word immediately preceding it therefore A and B
are out.... now there are 3 activities a)impose stricter limits on medical services b) require doctors to see more patients, and c)spend less time with each.in these a and b are independent and c is dependent on b....
C makes all a ,b ,c independent...... E makes b and c dependent on a..
only D makes a and b are independent and c dependent on b.. therefore D is the ans
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
23.Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(A) Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(B) Added to the increase in hourly wages which had been requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(C) The railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits added to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July. (my)
(D) In addition to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(E) In addition to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits. (Right)

YAWOU question ???
23) A and B have a phrase'Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July' wrongly modifying the rail road employees....
C corrects it but introduces another error in 'the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July'... if u look carefully it is the increase which is requested therefore ' increase in hourly wages that was requested' may have been correct but then 'that' wrongly relates to 'hourly wages'...
D and E correct modifier by changing phrase to clause however D repeats the mistake 'that were' as in C..
therefore E is the ans
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 08:13
26.A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could, (my)
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could (right one)
(E) think the power stations would or could

I thought that the it is WOULD OR COULD, because it is subjunctive. The only problem in B is “,” before or.
Why D?
26) A,B and C are wrong because 'view ...... but think that......,' is must ,all 3 omit think ..
in E think is put but that is omitted...
only D is ok however it 'also' is not w/o fault as they could refer to 'A majority of the international journalists' or 'nuclear power stations' it would have been better if they was replaced with the power stations .
anyone who does not agree pl let me know.....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 05:37
answer for 1

IMO E.

But I don't think it is because of parallelism. Because the parallelism, if it was there, has to be with 'landmark' and not with the preceding part of the sentence.
Manager
Manager

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 08:36
hello guys?
Does anyone have ideas concerning the rest questions?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP

Kudos [?]: 99 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 18:21
This post received
KUDOS
54.There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

I think C is right because in B the pronoun 'it' is wrong, the comparison here is between how much energy was generated to how many times is generated now.
so C is correct

also "as much as" is the correct idiom

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 18:26
This post received
KUDOS
50.At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.
(A) land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards (right)
(B) land, a form of ownership of the pre-Columbians and respected by the Spaniards
(C) land, respected by the Spaniards and a pre-Columbian form of ownership
(D) land in which a pre-Columbian form of ownership was respected by the Spaniards
(E) land that had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards (my wrong)

in E "that" is modifying land

A is right because proposed return to ----, to what had ----------
here what = "communal ownership of land"

hope this helps.

Thanks, Sri

Manager
Manager

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 04:29
srini123 wrote:

I think C is right because in B the pronoun 'it' is wrong, the comparison here is between how much energy was generated to how many times is generated now.
so C is correct

))) Sorry, but why is IT wrong? cann't it replace the word energy? to make the followingas much energy is generated as it was in 1990

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish wrote:
srini123 wrote:

so C is correct

))) Sorry, but why is IT wrong? cann't it replace the word energy? to make the followingas much energy is generated as it was in 1990

As I see it, we are comparing "energy generated" between two different time periods and 'it' can be used for nouns and here we have a phrase "energy generated" to be compared.

than "it" compares "energy generated" to "energy" . <-- WRONG

Also "it" is following "power" and not energy , so it is referring to power and not energy... <-- WRONG pronoun reference (even if we assume that it shud refer to energy)

Thanks, Sri

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 07:39
so i guess "case" should refer to the "energy generated" instead of "it" alone?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 04:54
Are you sure the correct answer for #21 is D????
Is there any chance that it could be E??
" that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending"

"requiring doctors to see more patients and spending" is a present-participial phrase in parallel structure to modify "stricter limits on medical services"

Choice D violates parallelism
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 02:52
Q1 -
That the new managing editor rose from the publications soft news sections to a leadership position is more of a landmark in the industry than her being a woman.

A. her being a woman
B. being a woman is
C. her womanhood
D. that she was a woman
E. that she is a woman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer is E.

the question could be simplify in the following way:

X is more Z than Y.

where X = That the new managing editor rose from the publications soft news sections to a leadership position.
Z (adj.) = a landmark in the industry.
and Y = that she is a woman. the only option which is parallel to X and in the right tense.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here. [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 00:11
60.The computer software being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education will not only meet the needs of that study, but also has the versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.
(A) but also has the versatility and power of facilitating (mine)
(B) but also have the versatility and power to facilitate (right)
(C) but it also has the versatility and power to facilitate
(D) and also have the versatility and power of facilitating
(E) and it also has such versatility and power that it can facilitate

not only X but also Y parallelism tested with S-V agreement. As X (meet) is plural, in Y also plural form should come. 'it' is unnecessary.

B has correct S-V agreement
Re: 13 Brutal SC questions(help). let collect explanations here.   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2014, 00:11