Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

15 months to GMAT - what strategy would you suggest?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HSG St Gallen
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

15 months to GMAT - what strategy would you suggest? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 10:35
Hi Gmatclubbers,

I'm an undergraduate student from Germany, not native-speaker. I'm going to take the GMAT in September 2012 and i will start preparing the GMAT in June 2011, so i'll have 15 months to study.
Please advise me with some strategies for self-preparation for that period of time.

My consideration:
- I have thought of 2 hours a day, for 15 months. What do you think of a loop system, where i prepare one week maths and the next week verbal? But with which book should i start first?

For maths: MGMAT Guides, then Math Foundations ...?
For verbal: MGMAT Guides, then Powerscore CR + SR + Ultimate Grammar ...?

Timing: I only have time to prepare the GMAT on weekdays (monday to friday), because i'm working on the weekend.

The books i already have:
- MGMAT Guides
- MGMAT Math Foundations
- Kaplan Premier 2011
- Princeton Cracking the GMAT 2011
- Princeton Review 1012
- Verbal Official Guide
- Quant Official Guide
- GMAT OG 12

Going to buy:
- Powerscore CR
- Ultimate GMAT Grammar
- Powerscore SC

It's obvious that first of all i'll study the whole forum with it's numerous and extraordinary GMAT Guides, Tips, etc. .

Thank you for the effort.

xblack
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern, Chicago Booth, Cornell
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: 15 months to GMAT - what strategy would you suggest? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 11:59
15 Months is a lot of time. You could take the test many times over in that time :) Actually, in my opinion, 6-8 weeks is enough, but the more time you give yourself, the better, If you can build up and keep the momentum going.

You can start from the very basics. Start off with mastering all the concepts in the OG and solving the questions. Take a mock test every few weeks to know where you stand, analyse the test to know in which sections you are the weakest. Once the OG is complete, then go on to other material. It's going to help you get familiar with the GMAT and its question-types. Then, instead of alternating between verbal and quant in a loop, focus on sections in which you are weak and focussing on removing the weaknesses. - How do you know where you are weak ? - By analyzing the tests you take every few weeks.

I studied by killing off the weak points and my prep time was 7 weeks. You are definitely going to do much better sir. I wish you the best of luck with the test prep.
Also, you have so much time, so you can prepare well for the next stages of the admission process. Build up your profile, attend seminars, research your favorite b-schools and see if they are a good fit for you. Also, you can work on securing fellowships or scholarships. Since you are a non-native, so you will be taking the TOEFL (which doesn't take too much prep-time), so you may want to plan when to take it and familiarize yourself with what is tested.

I hope as unorganized as my reply is, it is of some help to you. All the Best :)
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: 15 months to GMAT - what strategy would you suggest? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 16:39
15 months is a realllly long time to be preparing for the GMAT.

I've been preparing for about 3 months, and have about 1 month left to go, and I'm already feeling pretty burnt out.

It's not so much that I've lost the motivation, but more just that I'm running out of new material. Not new as in 'I havent read this before' or 'I havent done this problem yet', but new as in 'is this giving me any meaningful new ammo in my fight against the GMAT?'

Anyways, since you're a non-native speaker, if you're set on taking the GMAT in 15 months, my advice would be:
1) for the next 6-9 months, dont spend more than 4 hours per week on GMAT specific studies.
2) Instead of GMAT specific studies, devote a lot of time to reading high-level English literature (since you're non-native), and going over any geometry/algebra books you might have access to.
3) Once you're closer to when you want to take the test, then really dig in to the GMAT specifically, doing loads of practice problems and practice tests.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 136

Re: 15 months to GMAT - what strategy would you suggest? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
Correct me if I am wrong, GMAT can be taken even while you are an undergrad student. However, to get admitted into a grad school, you have to have an undergrad degree.

I suggest you to utilize the momentum that you already have (while you are still an undergrad student) and to plan for taking GMAT in sometime next 4/5 months. I think, in Deutcheland, summer holidays are going to be started soon. If so, get started from then.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 15 months to GMAT - what strategy would you suggest? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 02:12
You shudn't spend so much of time preparing for GMAT . According to me 3-6 months are enough for you to prepare and get a 700+ score. If you spend so much time, you will eventually burnout and score much lesser than what you could have.

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Re: 15 months to GMAT - what strategy would you suggest?   [#permalink] 15 May 2011, 02:12