Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1520 - My GRE exam retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 77 [2] , given: 2

1520 - My GRE exam retake [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
1520 - My GRE exam retake

I had given my GRE exam the first time in Jun 2010 and scored 1310(740 Q, 570 V, 4.5 AW).I retook my exam in Dec 2010 and scored 1520 (800 Q, 720 V and 4.5 AW).

I got my score card today and it shows 800 Quant is 94 percentile and 720 Verbal is 98 percentile. According to the GRE vs GMAT tool bb has posted, my score is around 760 GMAT.

I expected more than 5.0 in Analytical writing,but overall I am happy with the results and am glad that I decided to retake.

My preparation
--------------

Verbal -

1. Vocabulory - Norman Lewis Wordpower made easy and about 4000 words from Barrons.

2. Analogies, Antonyms and Sentence correction - Barrons, Nova, Manhattan GRE and ETS GRE Big book.

3. Reading comprehension - I got a copy of Manhattan GRE Reading Comprehension book and found it useful. This was my weak area and I refered to the strategies for RC in Gmat club and found Rhyme's strategy helpful.

Manhattan GRE recommends reading aldaily.com to get familiar with GRE-like materials. In addition, I read some fiction books - Memoirs of a Geisha, Lolita etc.

I believe the key to improving RC is getting more practice. I started doing RCs from various sources - Manhattan GRE, 1000 RC, Big book, Barrons and GMAT materials like OG, Veritas prep etc.

Quantitative -

The GRE exam focuses on basics of Maths rather than tougher concepts.

One question I got was based on understanding of decimal positions. I remember , when I started studying GRE, I was initially confused about "hundreds" position and "hundreths" position.So, when I got this question, I was smiling.

1. Revised Mathreview available for free download at ETS website.

2. The first time, I mostly followed Barrons and GRE Math Bible. But this time, since I was preparing GMAT in paralell, I had already completed the Manhattan guides for Word problems, Number properties and didnt feel the need to use the Math Bible for basics. Rest of the topics - Algebra , Geometry etc I used the Manhattan GRE material.I randomly did practice questions from Powerprep, Nova Math Bible, Barrons, GMAT Club , Manhattan GRE etc.

Analytical Writing -

I did not follow any material except Chineseburned's template.

Practice Tests -

1. Powerprep (Very close to the real exam)
2. Manhattan GRE exams

There were other sources for mock tests like Barrons CD, Kaplan etc. But since I had done those in the first attempt, I remembered the questions and hence didnt find it useful doing those the second time.

I just got my GRE score card today and am analyzing my results at grediagnostics. I see that out of 28 questions, I got 3 wrong and 25 correct. Clearly, it is not required to answer all questions correct to get 800.

Thanks to GMAT Club. I was able to use many GMAT materials and strategies here. Special thanks to the GMAT Math book. I visited the GMAT Math book several times to refer to Math basics when I found the materials and books .
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: NSTU
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: 1520 - My GRE exam retake [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 07:01
its nice post........ helpful for gre test taker..........

thanks for your info>>>
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 1520 - My GRE exam retake [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 10:35
Hey Hi,

I'm also thinking of taking GRE, can you please explain the difference b/w GMAT Verbal and GRE verbal section? Which one is more easy? I have taken GMAT twice but my score was way below my target score :(

Please help. Thank you..

GMAT ToolKit For Android Phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nkoventuresllc.gmattoolkit&fl=events

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: 1520 - My GRE exam retake [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 14:21
Hi,
I am planning to take GMAT, but just out of curiosity 1300+ score is considered good in GRE (?) what made you retake it? But great score anyways!!

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Re: 1520 - My GRE exam retake   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2011, 14:21