Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [193]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [29]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [25]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [18]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
First of all, let's sort "less of certain pollutants" out.
It should start with "less".

fewer pollutants = fewer NUMBER of pollutants. NUMBER is countable
less of certain pollutants = less QUANTITY of certain pollutants. QUANTITY is non-countable
Therefore, in our case it should start with "less"
So, B and D are out!

botirvoy wrote:
164.Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbon, vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel.
(A) less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel ---> "do those" or equivalent should come before "burning"
(B) fewer of certain pollutants than burning gasoline or diesel fuel do
(C) less of certain pollutants than gasoline or diesel fuel ---> "do those burning" or equivalent should come before "gasoline"

(D) fewer of certain pollutants than does burning gasoline or diesel fuel
(E) less of certain pollutants than those burning gasoline or diesel fuel ---> "do" should come before "those"

According to my analysis, E has the least number of errors.

Anyone disagree with me? :) Is there anyone who thinks E does not have any error?
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi there! Just wanted to provide a quick clarification on less vs. fewer as it relates to this question. The basic rule is that less is used for uncountable items and fewer is used for countable items (I had fewer chairs but less time).

This can get tricky when we talk about categories of items; for example, you would have less jewelry (a broad uncountable category) but fewer necklaces (specific, countable items). Similarly, you would have less salt, but fewer grains of salt.

That's sort of what we see going on in this question -- we're referring to an uncountable amount of pollutants that has been emitted, so we use less. Another similar example: I had fewer bottles of perfume than my friend, but less OF my Chanel perfume had been used. The preposition is important in creating the distinction!

Hope that helps :)
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [6]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbon, vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel.

(A) less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel
(B) fewer of certain pollutants than burning gasoline or diesel fuel do
(C) less of certain pollutants than gasoline or diesel fuel
(D) fewer of certain pollutants than does burning gasoline or diesel fuel
(E) less of certain pollutants than those burning gasoline or diesel fuel

I know choice B is wrong because of Incorrect usage of 'fewer', however i would like to know that when comparing the actions if the second part to be compared repeats the verb - do in this case - can that or those be understood in such case.
i.e. if the choice B had been less of certain pollutants than (those) burning gasoline or diesel fuel do would this choice be correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [2]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Your query: I know choice B is wrong because of Incorrect usage of 'fewer', however i would like to know that when comparing the actions if the second part to be compared repeats the verb - do in this case - can that or those be understood in such case.
i.e. if the choice B had been less of certain pollutants than (those) burning gasoline or diesel fuel do would this choice be correct?

Vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than (those?) burning gasoline or diesel fuel do
-- "Those" is required in above comparison, otherwise it will appear that "vehicles" are being compared with "burning of fuel".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
I totally disagree with the OA, because we can not compare car powered by vs burning of, this question are comparing two different things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
murilomoraes wrote:
I totally disagree with the OA, because we can not compare car powered by vs burning of, this question are comparing two different things.

So the hint to figuring out whether to use less or fewer is the word "certain". There are certain pollutants.

There are certain kinds of cows.
There are certain classification of stars.
There are certain amount of isotopes.

The word certain gives us a hint that we are dealing with a classification of pollutants that are countable.

Let me know if I'm wrong.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
The comparison is between "vehicles powered by natural gas" and "those (vehicles) burning gasoline or diesel fuel". Hence option E is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Verbal Expert,

Most of the time, I solve comparison questions wrong. Probably, there is a lack of understanding of this concept.
I find it difficult where omission of some words will make the sentence incorrect and where it will not. Please explain. Thanks

I read one post earlier with the below examples on Comparison
more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than under the age of 30

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than to women under 30

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than were born to under 30
all above is the correct--- Above all is correct or All above is correct

most babies were born to women over the age of thirty than born under 30(incorrect)
most babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they were under 30(incorrect)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
Hi Verbal Expert,

Most of the time, I solve comparison questions wrong. Probably, there is a lack of understanding of this concept.
I find it difficult where omission of some words will make the sentence incorrect and where it will not. Please explain. Thanks

I read one post earlier with the below examples on Comparison
more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than under the age of 30

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than to women under 30

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than were born to under 30
all above is the correct--- Above all is correct or All above is correct

most babies were born to women over the age of thirty than born under 30(incorrect)
most babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they were under 30(incorrect)

Omission is allowed only when the meaning is not obscured.

I like chocolates more than Karishma... ambiguous - 2 possible meanings are:
1. I like chocolates more than I like Karishma.
2. I like chocolates more than Karishma likes chocolates.

In such cases omission is not acceptable.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
"Pollutants" is countable (plural form implies countable noun). Hence "fewer" is correct. Option B and D remains. "Burning gasoline or diesel fuel" is singular, hence the correct verb is singular "does". D remains.

OA has been added.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbo [#permalink]
Kudos