Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [149]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [32]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [10]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [2]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Re: The economic forces which may affect the new public offering of stock [#permalink]
Kudos
Bow down, bow down..
However,a completly new concept for me..
Elaborate a bit please..
Are you meaning to say that loosening(VERB)+ "a" =Noun ?
wow..i am in awe dude :shock:
So now between D and E is'nt D more concise??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Management Consulting
Send PM
Re: The economic forces which may affect the new public offering of stock [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hello,

The economic forces which may affect the new public offering of stock include sudden downturns in the market, hedging and other investor strategies for preventing losses, loosening the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized.

(A) loosening the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized
(B) loosening the interest rates in Washington, and a fear of the company still being undercapitalized
(C) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized
(D) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear of the still undercapitalized company
(E) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear that the company may still be undercapitalized

I was able to answer the question (the OA is "E"), however not sure what rule applies when choosing "a loosening" vs "loosening". In which case an article "a" is needed?

Many thanks,

superfreak
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 800 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
superfreak wrote:
Hello,

The economic forces which may affect the new public offering of stock include sudden downturns in the market, hedging and other investor strategies for preventing losses, loosening the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized.

(A) loosening the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized
(B) loosening the interest rates in Washington, and a fear of the company still being undercapitalized
(C) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized
(D) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear of the still undercapitalized company
(E) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear that the company may still be undercapitalized

I was able to answer the question (the OA is "E"), however not sure what rule applies when choosing "a loosening" vs "loosening". In which case an article "a" is needed?

Many thanks,

superfreak

The problem with gerunds is that although they are classified as nouns, they have characteristics of a verb. To avoid ambiguities GMAT never considers a gerund to be a parallel structure to a noun.

Some of the ways to convert a gerund into a pure noun is by adding an article (“a”,”an”, or “the”) before the gerund.

“Loosening” is a gerund, whereas “a loosening” is a pure noun
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Economist wrote:
Okay, let me give an example:
Lets go and smoke. => smoke = verb
Lets have a smoke.=> smoke = noun

If we talk about this statement, your next question would be why do we have "hedging" not "a hedging"? But, hedging is referred as a type of strategy ( which again makes it a noun ): "hedging and other investor strategies". So it does not require "a" :)

And also because "hedging" is actually a noun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [8]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Kudos
Bookmarks
there are four facts which should be parallel with each other. They are:
1.Sudden downturns in the market
2.Hedging and other investment strategies for preventing loss (note that hedging is not a ing form of verb but a strategy hence used as noun here)
3.loosening the interest rates in Washington
4.fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized.

Error Analysis:
3rd and 4th point -Loosening and fearing are not noun, which is required for sentence to follow parallelism.
POE:
(A) loosening the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized - wrong for reason mentioned above
(B) loosening the interest rates in Washington, and a fear of the company still being undercapitalized - wrong as loosening is still not a noun also being undercapitalized is wordy
(C) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and fearing that the company may still be undercapitalized - Wrong as 4th part is still not in parallel
(D) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear of the still undercapitalized company - it corrects original mistake by making loosening and fear in parallel with other part of the sentence, but it also changes the intended meaning of the original sentence.(fear of the undercapitalized company or fear that company is still undercapitalized??)
(E) a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear that the company may still be undercapitalized - Right- it corrects parallelism mistakes and also convey the intended meaning of original sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Send PM
how the heck am I supposed to know if loosening is a verb or noun... I am so bad at SC.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [3]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For the least you should know that the article 'a' can be used with noun only. That 'a' makes it a noun.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In this question, we need two nouns to maintain parallelism.

Another takeaway is that an article is only used before a noun.

When we scan the options, we can see that Options C, D and E have ‘a loosening of’ – which is what we want in the right option.

Eliminate Options A and B for this reason.

Option C has ‘fearing’ which is not a noun and therefore not parallel with ‘a loosening’. Eliminate.

Option D changes the intended meaning, even though it maintains parallelism. Eliminate.

Option E is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
HimanshuRawat651 wrote:
This question got me confused.
As per MGMAT Simple Gerund can't be parallel to complex Gerund.
But in this question
a loosening and a fear is parallel to sudden downturns ... that is ok
but how
a loosening is parallel to hedging and other investor strategies
as a loosening is a complex gerund and hedging and other investor strategies is a simple gerund
Am i missing something
i went with A assuming all hedging , loosening and fearing were working as verbing
Please help to understand the concept GMATNinja @TommyWallach@DmitryFarber@e-gmat

I got E .
I guess
The economic forces include sudden downturns in the market, hedging and other investor strategies for preventing losses, a loosening of the interest rates in Washington, and a fear that ...

All are noun phrases ..
hedging is not used as verb ..
similarly only loosening would have been verb+ing .. but .. a loosening . a phrase parallel to other element .
for the same reason fearing is incorrect ..

Please correct if I am wrong .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
Kudos