Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

168. Since the movie was released seventeen UFOs have been

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

168. Since the movie was released seventeen UFOs have been [#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 20:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
168. Since the movie was released seventeen UFOs have been sighted in the state, which is more than had been sighted in the past ten years together.
(A) which is more than had been sighted
(B) more than had been sighted
(C) more than they had sighted
(D) more than had reported sightings
(E) which is more than had reported sightings

Plz explain the answer. Also why can't A be right?

Thanks
Satya
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 21:24
which is a relative pronoun and should have an antecedent. It is also used for non restrictive clauses. Now which can refer to either the state or the movie. In both cases it is wrong because the sentence is comparing number of sightings. Usage of which is incorrect for ambiguity and also for the wrong comparision.

A) is out for the above reason

C) who is they here. they is pronoun and should also have an antecedent.

D) is awkward usage because who had what? One can try to plug in ellipsed what or thatand make it look like more than what had reported sightings or more than that had reported sightings
You can clearly see how awkward it is.

E) has the same problem as (A)

B is the best choice. Here that/what is ellipsed
Since the movie was released seventeen UFOs have been sighted in the state, more than that/what had been sighted. in the past ten years together.

I hope my analysis is correct.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 22:00
Thanks Anand

Can u explain me...what do u mean by ellipsed as u mentioned 'that/what' has been ellipsed.
What kind of sentence can contain such ellipsed? Does one has to infer from the meaning of the sentence.

I did not pick choice B since 'that' was not mentioned but I never knew that we can infer the meanings also.

Plz do explain

Thanks
Satya
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 08:33
singh_satya wrote:
Thanks Anand

Can u explain me...what do u mean by ellipsed as u mentioned 'that/what' has been ellipsed. What kind of sentence can contain such ellipsed? Does one has to infer from the meaning of the sentence.

I did not pick choice B since 'that' was not mentioned but I never knew that we can infer the meanings also.

Plz do explain

Thanks
Satya

ellipsis is the right word... you can do away with certain constructions without changing the meaning of the sentence. halle., anand or paul, can you guys help me here please?

satya asked a tough question. it really depends where ellipsis can be used.

for example, I want to work and (to) earn. Here, (to) can be removed and still parallelism can be maintained.

Whenever i get enough time, I will try to write a lesson on ellipsis. Please bear with us. :oops: I hope the other guys can help ya. Satya, if you started your GMAT Prep just recently, please consider reading some of the topics in the Verbal Lessons forum. Thats a good place to start.

Sincerely
Praet
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 11:43
There no formula for this. It really depends on the meaning of the sentence.

Here is a link on ellipsis( Not much information )

http://nweb.pct.edu/homepage/staff/evav ... lipsis.htm

I suggest not to worry about it. As you solve more SC questions you will learn.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 19:18
Hi Pretorian

I did start my preparation recently. I do look at the topics which u mentioned but currently I looking for RC questions. If u know of any along with their answers then plz do let me know .

Thanks
Satya
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 20:48
singh_satya wrote:
Hi Pretorian

I did start my preparation recently. I do look at the topics which u mentioned but currently I looking for RC questions. If u know of any along with their answers then plz do let me know .

Thanks
Satya

Try the disclosed LSAT's. The RC's are pretty good for practice. Answers are also provided, though there are no explanations

http://www.lsac.org

let me know if this is good enough
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 78530

CAT Tests
for Praet.. [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 17:10
Hi Praet
I tried to find RC at the lsac.org but I could only find a sample LSAT exam. Do u know of any other RCs. If u have some other material plz do let me know. Thanks
Satya
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

Re: SC..problem with use of 'which' [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 11:32
singh_satya wrote:
168. Since the movie was released seventeen UFOs have been sighted in the state, which is more than had been sighted in the past ten years together.
(A) which is more than had been sighted
(B) more than had been sighted
(C) more than they had sighted
(D) more than had reported sightings
(E) which is more than had reported sightings

Plz explain the answer. Also why can't A be right?

Thanks
Satya

which, in many cases on the GMAT, should be preceded by a comma. If which is preceded by a comma, which is directly referring to the word in front of that comma.

Therefore AE are out. That leaves BCD. C has no clear antecedent for they. D is wrong because it lacks a noun regarding who reported the sightings.

Why is the tense of "had been sighted" correct?
Re: SC..problem with use of 'which'   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2007, 11:32