Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

17th Nov D-Day...... need guidance!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

17th Nov D-Day...... need guidance!!! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 13:34
Hi experts..

I started my prep more than 3 weeks ago with Kaplan premier. Then covered MHGmat number properties, rc, cr, awa & IR and currently sc in progress. Have finished OG13 n found difficulties in number property, permutation/combination, etc. M currently going through Princeton Review 1037 n after that plan 2 solve OG verbal, OG quant, OG 12 n Powerscore CR. My concentration fluctuates a lot n as a result quant is takin a beating. Though Verbal is better, sc is a weak spot.

Anyways took my 1st practice test 2day d stats are:

Gmatprep score %tile

IR 4 -
Q 46 73
V 34 69
Total 650 79

Please evaluate my progress n tell me how can I improve my strategy as my target score is around 750. Anxiously waiting 4 suggestions...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 17th Nov D-Day...... need guidance!!! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 22:17
HI,

For SC i will suggest Thursdays with ROn
http://vimeo.com/user3635135/videos

For Quant i will suggest you to start practicing from grockit.com.

Search for theory material for the weak areas and continue practicing using gmatclub and other sites and things should improve!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 5

Re: 17th Nov D-Day...... need guidance!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 13:00
Expert's post
pritha1988,
It looks like there's room to improve on your verbal. If you're aiming for 750, you're going to need to pretty much ace every section of verbal - SC, CR, and RC. When you say SC is a weak spot, is it significantly weaker than the other sections?

You can practice a GMATPill SC question here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/2055

It looks like you're already using a lot of sources to get your practice - but remember the exam is on a computer. So you should get practice going through exam questions on a computer.

With RC, you should also practice doing reading of various essay-like publications such as articles from Economist, Scientific American, and Harvard Magazine (Humanities section or social sciences section - http://harvardmagazine.com/topic/humanities)

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1043

Kudos [?]: 4559 [1] , given: 162

Re: 17th Nov D-Day...... need guidance!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 21:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pritha1988 wrote:
Hi experts..

I started my prep more than 3 weeks ago with Kaplan premier. Then covered MHGmat number properties, rc, cr, awa & IR and currently sc in progress. Have finished OG13 n found difficulties in number property, permutation/combination, etc. M currently going through Princeton Review 1037 n after that plan 2 solve OG verbal, OG quant, OG 12 n Powerscore CR. My concentration fluctuates a lot n as a result quant is takin a beating. Though Verbal is better, sc is a weak spot.

Anyways took my 1st practice test 2day d stats are:

Gmatprep score %tile

IR 4 -
Q 46 73
V 34 69
Total 650 79

Please evaluate my progress n tell me how can I improve my strategy as my target score is around 750. Anxiously waiting 4 suggestions...

For a 750, you need to aim for Q50/51 and V40/41. What does this mean?

It means:
In Quant, you cannot have a single weak spot. Number properties is extremely important and extensively tested. You need to drill down every concept of number properties in your subconscious. Try to understand every little thing properly, try to figure out how numbers behave and why they behave that way. You should be able to recognize patterns in numbers. A good understanding of P&C concepts is also important though you don't need to work on everything in detail. A conceptual understanding and some practice is enough. Your algebra should be very strong too and you should be able to manage most geometry questions. In GMAT, you will tie yourself in knots in some questions even if you are good in those areas - ensure that there are no areas in which you are bad.

In Verbal, you have to be very good in all 3 areas (RC, CR and SC) or exceptional in 2 and good in the third. If you know your SC is relatively weak, ensure that your RC and CR are very strong. Also, keep working on SC so that you have at least 70% accuracy in it. Even if your SC accuracy is not 90%, you can still beat the 750 score but your accuracy in the other two sections must be very high. So you don't have to spend every waking moment worrying about Grammar. Also, remember, SC is a lot about logic (just like the other sections of GMAT).

Check out these articles on the Veritas website:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/07 ... orrection/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/05 ... furiously/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: 17th Nov D-Day...... need guidance!!!   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2012, 21:40