Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 12:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1st Attempt: 650 - Lessons Learned

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 127 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
1st Attempt: 650 - Lessons Learned [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hello All,
My name is Amrith and I joined this board today. I've been reading a lot of posts here and I thought I'd contribute a little.

Background Info:
I graduated from college in 2008 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical & Electronics Engineering. During my last semester, a major Engineering and Construction Company visited campus to recruit fresh graduates and I was offered employment. I joined the company a week after graduating and I worked with the company for a span of two years, during which I had the privilege to work in two countries. All in all I got a very good exposure. However, I felt the time was right for me to broaden my horizon and spread my wings. Thus, I resigned my job, returned to my country and started to prepare for GMAT.

De-Brief

Test Date: 28th December 2010

Score:
Verbal – 37/80 %ile
Quant – 43/65 %ile
Total – 650/79 %ile
AWA – 5.0

Preparation Time Frame:
I must have studied for a period of 4 weeks give or take a couple. I spent 2 to 3 hours a day. I had a lot of things going so I couldn’t really focus.

Study Material:
MGMAT – SC, CR and RC
Princeton Review
GMAT OG

Strategy:
To be absolutely honest with you, I didn’t have any strategy!

MAJOR PITFALL!

I did not follow a structured pattern of study. Just read a few chapters from one book and few chapters from another. Never took it seriously.

[Why? Coz my friend who had taken it gave me the impression that GMAT was a piece of cake! <<< This is where you get to say “Foooooolish Mortal!”]

So after weeks of random study, I decided to take the tests. I downloaded the prep set and took ‘Test 1’ thrice and received the following score:
1st attempt: 620
2nd attempt: 680
3rd attempt: 720

At this point, I had completed solving all the Problem Solving Questions from GMAT OG and all the Sentence Correction Questions as well. [Just one round]
I hadn’t touched RC, CR and Data Sufficiency!!!

Problems Faced and Lessons Learned:
1.This test is not easy!!! Underestimate it to your own peril!!!
2.Time Management: I finished the quant and verbal section with 10 minutes to spare and I actually gave myself a little pat on the back for that. However, I now know that this foolish act must have pulled down my score by at least 30 points or so; Learn to make optimal use of the time available.
3.Develop a strategy. Attempting the GMAT without one would be like running around like a headless chicken.
4.Do a lot of practice problems

Future Plans:
1.Retake the test in Feb
2.Create a solid study plan based on inputs from this forum and then execute the plan
3.Maybe.... just maybe... I’ll start a journey thread in this forum. Just to get to know you all better and it will help record my progress too!

Target Score: +750

Wish me luck Ladies and Gentlemen!

Regards,
Amrith

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 1st Attempt: 650 - Lessons Learned [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 04:41
Welcome aboard Amrith!! :)

What a great post to start off your journey here. Kudos!!

I think you have done very good so far (dont bother about 650, its a good score for a first attempt). Just check this thread out & devise a strategy for your retake.
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Multiple options of online courses are available, you can also go through the best reviews from the candidates taking different courses.

Wishing you best of luck & just let us know in case of any help!!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: 1st Attempt: 650 - Lessons Learned [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 14:11
hey,
nice story...and well done. 650 is a good score!
Re: 1st Attempt: 650 - Lessons Learned   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2011, 14:11