Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 1st GMAT attempt -590 (Q36,V34) pretty discouraged- Need advice [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi James,

To start, raising your score from a 460 to a 590 represents a solid improvement - so you shouldn't get too down on yourself. The information that you've provided in this post is important - much of it helps to point out why you weren't ready to hit your goal score YET.

To start, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their peak scores. From what you describe, you really only started getting serious about all of this a month ago. This is meant to say that you have not put in enough time and effort yet to hit the 680+ level.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book-heavy' study approach get 'stuck' at a particular score level, and that's also likely a factor in your recent performances (on the Official GMAT and on your last few CATs). As different as these scores may appear, they're actually fairly close to one another, meaning that you do certain things consistently well, but you certain consistent mistakes.

From what you described, it sounds like you spent a night in a hotel before your Exam. Why did you do that? Was the Testing Center not close to your home?

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You'll need to learn/practice some new Tactics and you'll likely need to invest in some new, non-book practice materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich,

Thank you for your reply. I know I should feel good about the jump, but a 180 jump with the possibility of a 230 felt so much better :| .Should I ditch the book heavy approach and try something completely different or a mix of the two? I am not sure how to proceed from this point on because during my last 5 days or so it felt like I was just going through the motions and not making any more progress.

I stayed in a hotel the night before my exam because the exam was at 8am and if I wanted to make it from my house to the exam site it would have taken an 1.25 hours even though the center is only 16 miles away. I felt it would take some of the pressure of the exam off.

To answer your questions..
1.) I took the entire CAT except for the 3rd one
2.) I did take all of the CAT's at home
3.) I originally had an 11am scheduled and moved the date back by 15 days so I did not take any CAT's at 8am...all at 11am (even after I switched the exam)
4.) Everything I did during the exam followed normal procedure for the exam
5.) I did not take any of the CAT's more than once, I reset the MGMAT CAT's but did not take any of them.

-James Scheu
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 1st GMAT attempt -590 (Q36,V34) pretty discouraged- Need advice [#permalink]
WayneHam wrote:
My testing center had very few slots that were not at 8am and I'm never up that early so I chose the noon slot even if I had to wait a bit for it. Are you a morning person? Do you normal take a 5 hour energy before doing your cats? Also when you say you felt the quant concepts leaving you, that sounds more like you weren't prepared and expected to do well due to serendipity. The same as when you say you just knew you would do better.

Now based on your test scores, I don't think a 600 or 680 would be unreasonable, particularly as they are pretty consistent. Are you sure there weren't many repeat questions, etc? Honestly I think based on your test scores, if they're an accurate representation, maybe you should rewrite sooner rather than later.

The thing is I am a morning person so I thought I would be fine...however, as I mentioned just now to Rich, I never took a practice at 8am. That was the first time I have taken a 5 hour energy during. The most I did during a CAT was a cup of coffee. I found that some CATs I would be exhausted toward the end at home...at the end of the GMAT there was no way I was sleeping. It was a combination of concepts leaving me in some areas, I guess a lack of thorough understanding so that I could pick out when to use certain formulas etc. , and the inability to focus at all since my thoughts were racing so fast.

As far as the tests, I did not get a single repeat question when it came to verbal or quant...the only thing I did not like about the free GMAT preps is the integrated reasoning stayed the same for the second exam so that section I had previously seen which took a little off the top pressure wise.

I am thinking of rewriting the exam on March 4th...this would give time for prep and keep my window open for programs I am applying to. Do you think this would be too soon or too long?

-James Scheu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi James,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define some things that factored into your performance on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time).

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By taking the CATs at home, taking them at a different time of day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' In addition, by spending the night in a 'strange' location, you slept in a strange bed and took yourself out of your normal morning routine - THAT types of last-minute changes can significantly impact your performance on Test Day.

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT in a way that properly mirrors Test Day?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. While you can certainly 'mix in' some bookwork during this next phrase of studying, your emphasis should be on properly using the non-book resources and learning/practicing new Tactics.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1st GMAT attempt -590 (Q36,V34) pretty discouraged- Need advice [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi James,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define some things that factored into your performance on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time).

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By taking the CATs at home, taking them at a different time of day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' In addition, by spending the night in a 'strange' location, you slept in a strange bed and took yourself out of your normal morning routine - THAT types of last-minute changes can significantly impact your performance on Test Day.

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT in a way that properly mirrors Test Day?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. While you can certainly 'mix in' some bookwork during this next phrase of studying, your emphasis should be on properly using the non-book resources and learning/practicing new Tactics.

Rich

Where would you recommend that I take future CATs? And what other exams are decent indicators of GMAT success given their algorithm? I am only aware of GMAT Prep, MGMAT, and Kaplan CAT's. Also, I am making a spreadsheet for my schedule broken down into two hour increments this next month so I can make an effective study/sleep/class/work schedule. I want to register for a March 12th exam. So my new gameplan will consist of

1.) Book study twice weekly primarily for review on SC and algebraic concepts
2.) Signing up for a website that will offer additional tools when it comes to gmat strategy and concepts since my strategy is not too great
3.) Taking one CAT weekly and reviewing the CAT same day instead of next day
4.) Focusing my studies (through online tools and apps while out and about) on 700+ level SC and CR as well as quant.

Does this seem like it could be effective?

-James Scheu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi James,

For your next GMAT, if you plan to spend the night at a hotel, sleeping in a strange bed, etc. then you have to train yourself to better handle that type of 'stress' when you take your CATs (so sleeping in a strange location, etc. are details that you'll have to account for). Personally, I would rather you stay at home and just deal with the commute to the Testing Center - in that way, you can stick with your normal routines and not have to deal with any 'surprises' the night before (or the day of) your Exam. As to where you might take your CATs, you might try a public library, University campus or Business Office.

With a March 12th Test Date, you have about 5 weeks to study, so you have to be really efficient with that time. Given your Official Score result, you could potentially find all of the 'missing points' that you're looking for in the Quant section; otherwise, you'll have to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi James,

For your next GMAT, if you plan to spend the night at a hotel, sleeping in a strange bed, etc. then you have to train yourself to better handle that type of 'stress' when you take your CATs (so sleeping in a strange location, etc. are details that you'll have to account for). Personally, I would rather you stay at home and just deal with the commute to the Testing Center - in that way, you can stick with your normal routines and not have to deal with any 'surprises' the night before (or the day of) your Exam. As to where you might take your CATs, you might try a public library, University campus or Business Office.

With a March 12th Test Date, you have about 5 weeks to study, so you have to be really efficient with that time. Given your Official Score result, you could potentially find all of the 'missing points' that you're looking for in the Quant section; otherwise, you'll have to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Rich

Rich,

So I signed up for EmpowerGmat. I have a few questions regarding the one month study plan and how I could cater it more effectively to my needs. Primarily, which CATs to take throughout the prep time given that I have already taken the free Gmat CATs and the six Mgmat CATs. I do also have some concern about the time dedicated for the one month study plan. I am not sure if you would like to PM me rather than discuss the matter over my post feel free. I really appreciate your advice up to this point and sorry about the question overload! Lol.

-James Scheu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi James,

I've PM'd you with some specific suggestions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts