Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1st GMAT Outing - 590 (35Q,36V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1st GMAT Outing - 590 (35Q,36V) [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 14:11
First off, I wish I had discovered GMAT Club before taking the test, but thats the way it goes; shame on me.

I studied for about 2 months prior to the exam, with the OG12 and taking the GMATPrep tests (580, 660), feeling confident since I had improved. I studied my weakness areas and felt as if I was ready for the real deal.

On test day, the confidence was gone and I was nervous wreck. I began doubting myself and my abilities and thoughts like, "Youre going to screw this up." crept into my mind. The AWA parts seemed fine, and I didnt have a problem with those (I got a 5.5 avg). As soon as quant arrived, after the first few questions I knew I was in trouble.

Im a natural lefty, and the marker pad-thing was a huge problem because I was sweating and kept smudging the work as I wrote, which made me panic even more. I definitely wasnt as prepared for using this as a scratch pad as I thought. On top of it, the question type I had the most trouble with in practice, Sets, was probably more prevalent on the exam than any other. When I went from (seemingly) difficult questions to relatively easy ones, naturally I became discouraged. After all that stress built up during the quant portion, I was emotionally and physically drained by the time verbal came around, and could barely focus on my other weak point, SC. By the end, I already knew about how well I had done.

Now its been about a week since the exam, and Im feeling less discouraged and more determined to improve to get into my target program, Stern - Part Time (thank god I didnt report my score there), with a suitable score (700+). Since its a little late to apply for the Fall Term, of which the final deadline is May 15, Im shooting to start in the Spring 2013. Im planning on retaking the exam mid-summer and starting to study around the beginning of May. My current plan of action is:

-Buy the dry-erase pad off Amazon and practice with it exclusively
-Figure out why my study habits didnt pay off as much as I thought they would
-Go back to the basics and study the fundamentals, and get a Sentence Correction work book
-Take (different) practice tests in an unfamiliar setting

Hopefully this will pay off. Does anyone have any advice/insights to what I can add to my second approach?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1st GMAT Outing - 590 (35Q,36V)   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2012, 14:11