Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 1.44
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 22:52
This post received
KUDOS
I was prepared quite well. I was always scoring 50/51 in Quant in practice tests.
My Verbal was always above 33, but what I performed have disheartened me to the level that I don't even know that should I retake the exam or not.
Before exam I knew that I will score anything above 700 i.e. around 720-730.
But my verbal simply tanked my score and I have no idea where did I lost the battle (SC/CR/RC)

Quant 49 - I am a bit sure, I was running out of time in the end and I answered last 6 questions randomly. Those 6 ques might be wrong and probably took me from 50 to 49 coz I am confident that my first 25 questions were correct. I was out of time because I took around 6-8 mins each in 2 questions (Ques -15 and 24).

Verbal 27 - I am clueless that why and how did I tanked my verbal to this level. I was quite sure about the questions that I was marking but I believe that this poor score is the obvious reason that I was not marking answers correctly.

GMAT Score of 640 is complete waste of effort because I was scoring 650+ even during my preparatory days.

My target is Bekley, Haas or NYU, Stern.

I am a B.Tech. with 5.5 yrs of experience in IT industry. I am a non native to English and I am from India.

I am feeling lost, unable to build confidence to retake GMAT.
Please Suggest.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 08:21
Hi,

Try watching Thursdays with Ron Videos for SC and RC (link in my signature)
IF you feel confident after a week or so. Then go ahead and work harder and then the target was never far!

Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: 1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 04:11
This post received
KUDOS
rahulgoyal9 wrote:
I was prepared quite well. I was always scoring 50/51 in Quant in practice tests.
My Verbal was always above 33, but what I performed have disheartened me to the level that I don't even know that should I retake the exam or not.
Before exam I knew that I will score anything above 700 i.e. around 720-730.
But my verbal simply tanked my score and I have no idea where did I lost the battle (SC/CR/RC)

Quant 49 - I am a bit sure, I was running out of time in the end and I answered last 6 questions randomly. Those 6 ques might be wrong and probably took me from 50 to 49 coz I am confident that my first 25 questions were correct. I was out of time because I took around 6-8 mins each in 2 questions (Ques -15 and 24).

Verbal 27 - I am clueless that why and how did I tanked my verbal to this level. I was quite sure about the questions that I was marking but I believe that this poor score is the obvious reason that I was not marking answers correctly.

GMAT Score of 640 is complete waste of effort because I was scoring 650+ even during my preparatory days.

My target is Bekley, Haas or NYU, Stern.

I am a B.Tech. with 5.5 yrs of experience in IT industry. I am a non native to English and I am from India.

I am feeling lost, unable to build confidence to retake GMAT.
Please Suggest.

Buddy,

Really sorry to hear that........ Can understand how it feels when after giving one's heart n soul, when sacrificing so many things, when pushing everything 2 the backburner and when after being commited to the core yields nothing - the reciprocation from gmatland can get so choppy and fierce.

BUT...........................plz don't feel frustated rather feel infuriated - The beast has cost you a lot and don't let it go scot free so easily - That should be the totem pole of ur 2nd attempt.

Q 49- pat ur back, so many engineers out there- not all get to this elusive range ( do I need to remind u of mine Q44/Q40 ), u should be elated bcoz u have nailed one portion perfectly.

U are almost there and I can vouch for the fact that in ur 2nd attempt u will beat ur expected target score : Put up a plan to redress the identified gaps and I am sure u will do that pretty well and this time go and face the beast equipped / armoured - armoured with the right weaponery.

Since I am no expert, nor my 2 miserable attempts bring any credibility but still will add my friendly dimes :

Time Mgmt : For SC : Bring out the Gprep doc (sticky post in SC forum - whiplash ) , take out the ones that u got wrong during ur practise sessions. Now attempt all in blocks of 40, start the timer and calculate whether u are able to finish off in 90 seconds.Believe me this works, don't fret too much if u are taking 2 long for a single Q - Guess n move on. Soon u will find u have started getting a hang of how long is 90-120 seconds, u won't have to look out for the stopwatch everytime. Review the wrong ones, search in the forums, particularly MGmat - RoN Purewal's posts - They are awesome.

U will start developing the stamina n the agility reqd to solve those dreaded/unknown Q's in actual gmat - since u have started forcing urself to think/extract under time crunching situations.

Next to force urself more : Do 20 SC + 20 CR's following the above : Better if u can do a random spread of sc/cr in the 40's set - u will actually simulate test day conditions.

Finally u can lay ur hands on gmatprep question bank available@ mba.com for 1000 bucks : very good quality SC/CR/RC questions never seen on any OG/Gprep software - They have a review section that actually teels u how much time u took for every question along with explanations.

Will conclude with Ben Johnson's lines : "Adversity only brings out one's true potential " - the D day was just a bad day , and a shoddy day shouldn't put a dent on one's confidence - I am sure u will destroy the beast this time.

Sorry for the long post , plz do keep posted.

Wish u all the best - U deserve much/much ..................................more and u will certainly attain it this time.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 85

Re: 1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
Generally speaking 640 is not that bad; but given that you are indian and looking at the schools you want to apply to it should be preferable to retake.

Maybe you just feel like you can not do it right now, but give it some time and you will tackle verbal with new strenght.
I would suggest you think about it for some days, do not rush any decision.

Good Luck!

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 01:04
I think it better if u can retake the Gmat within 1 month... My friend who scored 630 then after 1 month 730...He try focus on verbel section and the same situation like u....Come on don't wastee ur time. Let dig in deeper
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: 1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 11:26
I would suggest you retake. When you retake and score even borderline 700s, it would look impressive. But there's always a little bit of risk that scores might not drastically change. But if you invest sincerity and genuine efforts hopefully things change.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 0 [2] , given: 0

Re: 1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 18:20
This post received
KUDOS
Where are you planning to go to school? Or targetting?
Re: 1st time GMAT 640(Q49,V27) donno if I should retake   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2012, 18:20