Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1Y/2Y trade-off

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
1Y/2Y trade-off [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 12:15
Dear Scott and Omari (as well as everyone else!),

I recently got my BA Hons cum laude at a top Italian university in business administrations, 3.9 GPA. I got hired from McKinsey as a business analyst and I'm really looking forward to an MBA in the US. in 2-3 years' time.

What I'd like to ask you is what the main points to consider are when contrasting one-year and two-year MBA programmes. It is obvious that a 2Y program will be more expensive in terms of fees and opportunity costs, but what does it provide you more than the 1Y one? The only thing that came in my mind so far is that 2Y is more suitable for people with no previous business education while 1Y may fit for business graduates. The thing is whereas all European MBAs (INSEAD, IMD, LBS) are one-year programmes, every Ultra Elite US curricula are two-year.

I'm still in the very early stage of my MBA strategy plan, but what I feel is that I'd like to attend a 2Y course. Nevertheless, I really need to know what it does give me more than its 1Y counterpart (apart from prolonged intellectual pleasure) in order to decide whether to look forward to e.g. Upenn, Stanford, Chicago & co. or to stick to Kellogg's 1Y/INSEAD - but I'd really like to cross the Ocean :).

Thanks in advance,

Roberto
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 16:45
There are some European and UK MBAs that are more than 1 year such as IESE (19 months) and LBS.

The main advantages of the two year programs is that provide the opportunity for an internship and more time to develop a specialization. In addition, two year programs allow more time to network with other students. For those schools that stress the higher level "graduate" nature of business education, the two year program allows you to more fully develop these general management skills.

LBS spells out the advantages it sees in a 2 year program:

http://www.london.edu/mba/The_Programme ... _mba_.html
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 19:14
The internship really is the key reasons. Because more than 60% of MBA students are trying to make a career change of some sort, doing an MBA in their new desired field is key to securing a full-time position in a similar field.

I have an undergrad background in business with subsequent consulting experience and felt that two years was adequate for well rounded MBA training and did not feel that it was overkill or redundant.

For a strong 1Y US program, check out Kellogg's "limited edition" 1Y MBA program.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
1 year program [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2005, 06:46
Hi,

I also heard that even if we do 1 year or 2 year MBA, employer will see
your previous experience while selecting you for the job.

The reason being that your 1 year/2 years of MBA will not be able to change you completely from what you have gained in 4 to 6 years of experience. Is this true?

-Vivek
CIO
CIO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2005, 14:23
Sure, I guess. I'm not quite sure what your asking. Certainly employers take previous work experience into consideration.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
clarification [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2005, 21:37
Thanks for your reply,

What I meant was this...
suppose I've a very good experience of 5 yrs in software/hardware
system development & I take up Fianance for my MBA. Then, will an employer 'think' before giving me finance related job? How does it generally work? OR he will think of giving me a job (management) that is still related to my previous work experience...!

Cheers,
Vivek
CIO
CIO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 14:30
Oh I see. Yes it certain would be more difficult for you having that background to move into finance than someone with a finance background.

With that said it happens all the time. It is, however all the more reason to attend a program that allows you to secure an internship and thereby make the transition easier.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
thanks [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 21:25
Oh...thanks really important info. Thanks a lot for the clarification!

Cheers,
Vivek