Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 23:36
Hi everyone,

I am currently in my last year at a top 50 world ranked (top 2/3 in Canada) university . I am studying Electrical Engineering with a specialization in Nanotechnology/Microsystems.

Average: Cumulative 75% (No idea what the conversion is to a 4.0 GPA, but 80% is dean's list). I had a terrible second year, and actually ended up failing the year. During the year I was taking 21/22 credits a semester and Captaining a Junior Hockey team 3 hours away from my school. A typical day for me started at 5:30 am (I live 2 hours from my school, leave at 6am for an 8am class) and ended at 1 am (practice until 12). Obviously this is a huge blemish on my application, but I hope the mitigating circumstances, coupled with how I have used the experience, will alleviate some of the damage. Third Year average was 87%, and so far my Fourth year average is 90%.

GMAT: 730 (50Q 38V). Would you recommend retaking this, if I were to have a shot at 2+2/GSB? I have scored in the range of 720-780 on prep, with the prep exams closest to my actual test date >750. I've heard that a small increase in the GMAT wont really affect my application, so if there is a better use of my time, I am open to suggestions.

Extra Curricular: As I mentioned before, I had been a fairly high level hockey player. Played for regional teams, captained a Junior team (was also 2nd in the league for points). I have also traveled to Japan to play hockey as part of a program that chooses a team of top Japanese-Canadian hockey players. Aside from that, I have played Sr. B Lacrosse (second highest amateur level, although the majority of the highest level are pro players that play Sr.A in the offseason), played regional rugby in highschool (is this relevant?) and I am now a fairly avid rock climber. I'm also a fairly dedicated weightlifter, and would have qualified for nationals (if my application didnt screw up :cry: ) Aside from sports, I am a volunteer with the YWCA. I am responsible for leading a group of boys through discussions and activities aimed at increasing their understanding of self-awareness, self-esteem and social responsibility. We will be teaming with a group of girls to tackle a community project that will be completed in April.

Recs: Have three options at the moment.
1. Research Supervisor. I'm very confident I would get a solid rec from him, as I've had him for a professor before (scored 99% in his class) and subsequently was offered a pretty interesting/unique research opportunity.
2: Volunteer Supervisor. Also think this rec would be strong. I'd like to stress my soft skills a lot, as I believe they differentiate me from the majority of STEM majors. My volunteer work definitely stresses a skill set that is not taught/practice as often in my EE studies.
3: Mentor. Successful Entrepreneur, now involved in a Fortune 200 company (I believe he is Director of Marketing). Was also accepted into Stanford, but turned them down to pursue his venture (is this relevant?). My interaction with him is limited, so I'm leaning away from using him as a rec.

Goals: I originally decided to specialize in Nanotech because I felt that it was the future, but after exploring the academic side, I realize that the majority of people in this field are focused solely on research. I would like to be able to use my knowledge/interest in Nanotech, alongside the skills/resources gained at a B-school, to bridge the gap between the research into Nanotech and the consumer possibilities. My focus would be in either my own entrepreneurial venture or other high tech startups.

Well, its a mouth(or page?)ful. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Do you think that I should apply for 2+2 or GSB, or wait until I have some experience under my belt.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: 2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 11:57
I have pretty irrelevant part time work. So from the sound of things, you think my chances are slim?
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 00:56
Expert's post
I tend to agree with Christine. You have pretty much - a great GMAT, so-so grades, hockey, and average volunteerwork. People who get into 2+2 have a great GMAT are valedictorian, have been in Student GO, volunteered at two places, maybe started a firm already, had at least 2 internships. They're all pretty much "golden children", and I'm not seeing that here. Although I also agree that it certainly doesn't hurt to try, although ultimately you might be better off just going ahead and starting to get some interesting work experience. After all you already have a sick GMAT score in your pocket. It'll still be valid in three years, and still great...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Last edited by JonAdmissionado on 13 Feb 2013, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 16:05
JonAdmissionado wrote:
I tend to agree with Christine. You have pretty much - a great GMAt, so-so grades, hockey, and average volunteerwork. People who get into 2+2 have a great GMAt are valedictorian, have been in Student GO, volunteered at two places, maybe started a firm already, had at least 2 internships. They're all pretty much "golden children", and I'm not seeing that here. Although I also agree that it certainly doesn't hurt to try, although ultimately you might be better off just going ahead and starting to get some interesting work experience. After all you already have a sick GMAT score in your pocket. It'll still be valid in three years, and still great...

Well this is a bit disheartening. What would you say I should focus on if I wanted to apply to these schools in a few years?
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 08:36
Expert's post
Well the good GMAT is necessary, so you could try and get that out of the way as soon as you can for starters (scores are good for five years), next the most important thing is your work experience - what job you get, where, how well you succeed and how fast you move up. I know this is at this point a bit hard to plan on how to go about doing that, but it really is the most important. Other than that, I'd suggest getting involved in social/communal/sport/volunteer groups NOW, because if you keep at it for a few years, you will have some serious achievements under your belt, and that can really help you out. I think these are good places to start.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Last edited by JonAdmissionado on 15 Feb 2013, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: 2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 19:59
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Well the good GMAT is necessary, so you could try and get that out of the way as soon as you can for starters (scores are good for five years), nest the most important thing is your work experience - what job you get, where, how well you succeed and how fast you move up. I know this is at this point a bit hard to plan on how to go about doing that, but it really is the most important. Other than that, I'd suggest getting involved in social/communal/sport/volunteer groups NOW, because if you keep at it for a few years, you will have some serious achievements under your belt, and that can really help you out. I think these are good places to start.

Thanks for the advice. I am a bit confused though, in your previous post you referred to my GMAT score as great, now you're suggesting that I need to get a good score out of the way.

Do you think I should retake my GMAT then ?
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 461 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: 2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Oh no. Sorry for the confusion. Don't retake!!! :) Just wanted to point out that it's good for five more years from the day you took it, so plenty of time there...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Re: 2+2/GSB Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2013, 07:56