Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 23:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2.5 weeks to go and I'm going backwards on prac CATs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

2.5 weeks to go and I'm going backwards on prac CATs [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 20:09
So I've been studying for 9 weeks, dedicating the first 5-6 weeks on quant. I took my first official GMAT prep test before beginning the study program and scored 660 (40V, 41Q i think).
After completing the 6 weeks of Quant study I took two MGMAT tests on consecutive days:

1st MGMAT (hungover): 650, Q42, V37
2nd MGMAT (refreshed): 670, Q46, V35

I wasn't too stressed and I was quite happy that I had improved on my quant. I wasn't paying too much attention to verbal. I then began studying for verbal and have since complete CR, RC and close to half of SC

3rd MGMAT: 640, Q38, V38

I don't know what's going on. I'm not sure why I struggled so much with quant. On the other hand, going through my verbal results, I was sitting in the 99th percentile for a large portion of the section (even with 5 questions to go!). I then ran out of time and guessed the last 5 and this brought me down the the 84% percentile.

My question is, what should I take from this? Those of you with experience, do you think should I just push ahead with the same plan? (going to complete SC and IR/AWA in the next 1.5 weeks before bringing it all together in a week of intensive study). Obviously timing is a big issue and quant is still killing me, so should I refocus?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 210 [1] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 2.5 weeks to go and I'm going backwards on prac CATs [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
I will suggest if you can then push the gmat date by a month. Dont go there half prepared.

Now if you cant push it then try the following:--
Complete SC and watch Thursdays with Ron Videos. (Link in my signature)
For improving quant focus on your weaker areas. and have a look on how to improve quant score link in my signature.
And never ever leave questions unanswered in the gmat exam. You are penalized for that!
Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 2.5 weeks to go and I'm going backwards on prac CATs [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 20:37
nktdotgupta wrote:
I will suggest if you can then push the gmat date by a month. Dont go there half prepared.

Now if you cant push it then try the following:--
Complete SC and watch Thursdays with Ron Videos. (Link in my signature)
For improving quant focus on your weaker areas. and have a look on how to improve quant score link in my signature.
And never ever leave questions unanswered in the gmat exam. You are penalized for that!
Good Luck!

Thanks nktdotgupta. I can't push back the date. My only trouble with verbal appears to be the timing. Ironically, that wasn't an issue on prac CATs until I started studying Verbal.

I'll definitely take your Quant advice (I can only dream of a 51). So starting this weekend (at which point I hope to have finished SC/IR/AWA) I'll go through quant error log and really focus on that, although it seems I'm making mistakes across the board (no distinct area of weakness). Let's hope bringing everything together will result in a jump to 700+, I have to stay optimistic.
Re: 2.5 weeks to go and I'm going backwards on prac CATs   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2012, 20:37