Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 22:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (02:30) correct 54% (01:25) wrong based on 229 sessions
2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where they stood on the political spectrum. 78% of these individuals described themselves as "moderate" in their political views; however, in the national elections that most closely preceded and followed the poll, over half of the individuals polled voted for candidates far to one end of the political spectrum. It follows that these individuals did not accurately describe their political views.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the above argument relies?
A. Individuals always characterize themselves in keeping with their actual political views.
B. There were no moderate candidates in the national elections preceding and following the poll.
C. Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
D. Voters can be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time.
E. Many of the polled individuals did not understand what a moderate political view is, and so misdescribed themselves.

I don't understand the explanation of OE. Can you explain in details for me?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Moderate political views [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 00:06
The conclusion is that the voters did not accurately describe their political views (moderate) based on the fact that the majority voted for an extreme candidate. Since this is an assumption question, we can easily find the answer using LEN method. I'm just going to show it for the right answer for now.

Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.

So, applying LEN, we get something like,
Voters with moderate political views might vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.

This clearly kills the conclusion and its basis because if voters with mooderate political views vote for an extreme politician. Then it would be wrong to say that they did not accurately describe their political views.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: Moderate political views [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 19:32
Hi Gamelord

MacFauz has already explained beautifully. Hope you are clear, otherwise visit the link.

article-what-and-how-to-negate-4-exercise-questions-138510.html#p1119593

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 67

Re: Moderate political views [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 14:34
MacFauz wrote:
The conclusion is that the voters did not accurately describe their political views (moderate) based on the fact that the majority voted for an extreme candidate. Since this is an assumption question, we can easily find the answer using LEN method. I'm just going to show it for the right answer for now.

Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.

Voters with moderate political views might vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
While considering the above negated statement along with the conclusion , you will feel it doesnt kills the conclusion.
If voters might vote for polliticians with extreme thought, than they are doing what conclusion is stating and not the opposite.
Hence it doesnt kills the conclusion.
Pls explain if i have missed something.

This clearly kills the conclusion and its basis because if voters with mooderate political views vote for an extreme politician. Then it would be wrong to say that they did not accurately describe their political views.

C.Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
D. Voters can be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time.
When we negate D : Voters may not be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time.

Conclusion:It follows that these individuals did not accurately describe their political views.
I think negated option D kills the conclusion, so why should we not select D.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Moderate political views [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 20:58
Archit143 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

While considering the above negated statement along with the conclusion , you will feel it doesnt kills the conclusion.
If voters might vote for polliticians with extreme thought, than they are doing what conclusion is stating and not the opposite.
Hence it doesnt kills the conclusion.
Pls explain if i have missed something.

C.Voters with moderate political views will not vote for candidates who do not express moderate political views.
When we negate D : Voters may not be highly fickle, changing their political views in a relatively short period of time.

Conclusion:It follows that these individuals did not accurately describe their political views.
I think negated option D kills the conclusion, so why should we not select D.

The conclusion says that the voters misrepresented themselves. i.e It means to say that although the voters had said that they had moderate political views, they actually had extreme views.

D) Negating this option does not infact kill the conclusion. I can still argue that voters may not have changed in their views, but that does not necessarily mean that they would vote for the candidate with the same views. eg: I may have conservative views but still I might vote for the Liberal candidate because maybe I feel that he is a nice guy.

C on the other hand does not leave room for this argument and hence is the right answer.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 19

Re: 2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Could someone provide the negation of E and why it is wrong?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: 2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 20:23
Could someone explain why A is wrong?
Re: 2,500 individuals of voting age were polled and asked where   [#permalink] 08 May 2014, 20:23