Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:49

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2.6 GPA, 750 GMAT, 3yrs WE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Banking (3yrs)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

2.6 GPA, 750 GMAT, 3yrs WE [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 09:53
Hi Everyone,

2.6 undergrad GPA from a top University in Pakistan. Though grading is harsher than US, main reason for such a low GPA was just switching off from academics
Solid extracurricular in college but nothing spectacular
3 yrs of work experience so far at a multinational commercial bank in Pakistan.
Recently took the GMAT and scored a 750

Major weakness in app is the undergrad gpa. Feel its not a true reflection of my academic ability, but too immature to care when in college, wasn't thinking of grad school at the time, just getting minimum required to pass. Obviously feel differently now. Not sure if I should write an essay about this, might draw even more unwanted attention to it. Work experience has been unspectacular so far.

Would appreciate if someone could review my details and suggest where to apply and how best to tackle the low gpa.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 2.6 GPA, 750 GMAT, 3yrs WE [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 10:12
Where to apply depends on many factors.....what you want to do and where you want to live/go to school is info we need before we can tell you anything. Do you want US? Europe? India? there are hundreds of choices

I think your GPA is low enough that you should absolutely bring attention to why it happened and how its not indicative of your ability....its a hard sell but your GMAT is what i would point at first, perhaps taking a few business classes and getting A's would help your cause also.

Look up alternative transcript.....there are plenty of people who get into decent programs with a 2.6 but you have to mitigate as much as possible.

Now give us more info about your goals and start doing your own research into schools also, i would be weary of any school suggestions considering on the limited data you gave us

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15, HKU '15
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Reviews Badge
Re: 2.6 GPA, 750 GMAT, 3yrs WE [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 19:57
For starters, search for "low GPA" on this forum, there are few good pointers available. If you can take some evening classes in Accountng and Economics, if possible, and get good grades in those classes to show that you can do well in business school. You can address weak undergrad performance in the optional essay question, it's not going to be easy, but lack maturity during undergrad can suffice as a plausible explanation. If you can zoom in on your post-MBA goals, I might be able to suggest some programs to ya.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: 2.6 GPA, 750 GMAT, 3yrs WE [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 12:58
In my opinion its hard and bit useless to compare gpa between countries. It s already hard to compare gpa´s between different schools. Maybe its harder to get a 2.6 in Pakistan than a 3.5 in a school in USA. A much better way to compare grads would look at your percentile score in your school. Furthermore the GMAT is probably the most
objective criteria. So don t worry too much ,because you did better than 98 % of all testtakers on the GMAT.
Wish you all the best
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 2.6 GPA, 750 GMAT, 3yrs WE [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 13:35
If it is difficult even to compare GPAs within american colleges, imagine how difficult it is to do the same with "GPAs" from other countries.

Contrary to jordanhendrix, I believe that the ADCOMs will not give any importance to your GPA. You are from Pakistan with a 750 GMAT, so it already makes you a strong candidate.

I have read somewhere that US schools consider only the GPA from US students and those from countries which have a GPA system strictly equal to that of the USA.
Re: 2.6 GPA, 750 GMAT, 3yrs WE   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2010, 13:35